By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:

Looks like Sony is making a new handheld. What do you guys think, should Xbox make their own handheld? If so, should it be an open PC handheld with Xbox branding, or a closed Xbox ecosystem only handheld? Or should they just stick with partners for PC handhelds like the Asus ROG Ally they already partnered with?

seems a silly question, you need games to sell handhelds and invest in third parties, if one of them is failing to do so it is MS.

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:
shikamaru317 said:

Looks like Sony is making a new handheld. What do you guys think, should Xbox make their own handheld? If so, should it be an open PC handheld with Xbox branding, or a closed Xbox ecosystem only handheld? Or should they just stick with partners for PC handhelds like the Asus ROG Ally they already partnered with?

I'm curious as to whether or not Sony would treat it as a handheld with its own dedicated games like PSP/PS Vita, or as a portable PS5. I certainly hope its the latter because Sony is struggling on just supporting the PSVR2. I can't imagine they can afford to take even more first party resources to support yet another separate system. A portable PS5 is what I thought the PS Portal was going to be originally lol. 

I personally would prefer if Xbox just stuck with partners for PC handhelds. It's still getting the job done of associating Xbox with these devices. Xbox could go further by adding Game Pass to Steam, so even Steam Deck users get more Xbox content, and tbh, the console shortages proved MS can't just force manufactures to prioritize their gaming hardware over their more successful competitors. Now that handheld PC gaming is getting more and more competitors, by the time Xbox would get their own handheld out there, it would be in already saturated market. 

They would be smart to basically just make it a portable PS5 pretty much, make the specs high enough so PS4 games can basically just run in back compat mode, and high enough that developers can easily just resolution scale their PS5 games down to like 720p (or maybe FSR them from native 540p up to 1080p) and have them run with minimal porting effort required. If the specs aren't high enough to make porting from PS5 easy, and then they also waste first and 2nd party studios supporting this handheld with exclusive software like they did on Vita and are still doing on PSVR2, they would be making a very bad choice imo.

As for Xbox, I don't think it would hurt them if they tossed their hat into the open PC handheld ring alongside Steam Deck, Asus ROG Ally, MSI Claw, Lenovo Legion Go, etc., the field is crowded but Xbox does have good hardware engineers so they may be able to make a PC handheld that stands out among the crowd (then again, MSI Claw is kind of the stand out PC handheld right now, with it's styling and being the only one of them powered by Intel rather than AMD, whereas an Xbox handheld would likely be yet another AMD powered one). A closed ecosystem Xbox handheld would be a big mistake I think. I agree they need to get Gamepass onto Steam, it will grow PC Gamepass subs by leaps and bounds, not to mention it would be great for gamers, as modding games on Steam is way easier than trying to mod them on Windows Store/UWP. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 01 February 2024

Finished Palworld (achievements wise, the latter bosses were a pain because of its time limit);

Ended the game with a lucky catch :)

Looks pretty cool actually!

If there wasn’t a reason to try AoE 4 before

Around the Network

Hall of Fame - Top #25 Posters - Updated February 1st, 2024.

PositionUsernamePost CountChange
01Ryuu968730-
02G2ThaUNiT2013-
03Spade1848-
04Shikamaru3171591-
05VersusEvil1090-
06DroidKnight850-
07Ice481-
08Machiavellian474-
09NobleTeam360460-
10EpicRandy421-
11Angelus408-
12Konnichiwa388-
13BasilZero344#14 to #13
14Imaginedvl302#13 to #14
15Coolbeans275-
16Trunkswd254-
17Barozi225-
18Derpysquirtle64191-
19EspadaGrim185-
20Smroadkill15185-
21aTokenYeti172-
22Zippy6164#25 to #22
23Jason1637154#24 to #23
24KiigelHeart152#22 to #24
25PixelPirate127#New Entry
  • Shaunodon Knocked Out Top #25

Hall of Fame - Monthly Change - Updated February 1st, 2024.

PositionUsernameMonthly Change
01Ryuu96488
02Shikamaru317142
03G2ThaUNiT130
04DroidKnight79
05BasilZero71
06VersusEvil63
07Spade60
08Zippy648
09Konnichiwa43
10Machiavellian39
11NobleTeam36035
12Coolbeans18
13Ice13
14Jason163712
13EspadaGrim11
13Smroadkill1511
14Barozi10
15Trunkswd7
15Derpysquirtle647
16aTokenYeti6
17EpicRandy4
18KiigelHeart2
19Angelus1
20Imaginedvl0
--PixelPirateNew Entry

All of 7 posts from me? Not a lot. Here is 1 now!!

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

PositionUsernamePost CountChange
19EspadaGrim185-
19Smroadkill15185-

PositionUsernameMonthly Change
13EspadaGrim11
13Smroadkill1511

konnichiwa said:

Finished Palworld (achievements wise, the latter bosses were a pain because of its time limit);

Ended the game with a lucky catch :)

Just so you know there are multiple towers so that is just one of many.  Not sure what level you are at but they can get really tough.

konnichiwa said:
shikamaru317 said:

seems a silly question, you need games to sell handhelds and invest in third parties, if one of them is failing to do so it is MS.

Really, So MS bringing out a handheld like the Steam Deck but with a stripped down OS that allows it to play all PC games, including their own.  I believe you may be looking at a handheld the wrong way thinking it has to be like years of old but MS only needs to produce a handheld that supports both PC and their Xbox to be competitive.  If you really think about it, MS could modify the Xbox OS with its smaller footprint to support a broader range of PC devices and software.  MS also has the money to make it to scale at a price point that is very competitive with every PC handheld on the market.

The smartest move for MS is to get that stripped down mobile version out and let all the PC manufactures do their own thing and license it.  MS could pretty much do what they do with the Surface where they have their own hardware but which would be a sort of high mid level standard and go from there.