By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
G2ThaUNiT said:
Ryuu96 said:

Wait. Aren't you PC only already? Why would you quit gaming?

I do also have a Switch and most recently a PS5 lol. There's so much uncertainty right now as to how the games industry will even look in 5 years. At the very least, Western AAA gaming seems to be heading towards some sort of inevitable crash. To what extent and how gaming will look through the other side of that, who knows. 

I don't know the last time there was this much uncertainty in the industry. 

Every videogame will be inside of Fortnite.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

I do also have a Switch and most recently a PS5 lol. There's so much uncertainty right now as to how the games industry will even look in 5 years. At the very least, Western AAA gaming seems to be heading towards some sort of inevitable crash. To what extent and how gaming will look through the other side of that, who knows. 

I don't know the last time there was this much uncertainty in the industry. 

Every videogame will be inside of Fortnite.

I'll definitely be hanging up my controller and mnk if that happens

Maybe I'll finally weeb it up and join the niche JRPG crowd with @NobleTeam360 @Spade and @derpysquirtle64

Well, at least we are not there yet. Tomorrow I will be able to play a physical copy of Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth, which cost me €60,-.
€10,- cheaper than the digital version.

Laying off Call of Duty developers feels so short sighted when they're already struggling with once a year and now they legally have to add a Switch port too, feels all for short term shareholder pleasing. Only thing I could see is them pivoting ABK towards outsourcing work, XGS "only" has 2500ish employees because they heavily rely on outsourcing, Zenimax as well is quite small for a publisher, they'd also be around 2500ish, with ABK at 17k. ABK has thousands of internal employees working on their games, may be that Microsoft intends to replace a lot of those with outsourcing studios which is still annoying because it's just cheap cost cutting and comes with its own issues, mainly when the engine is custom made.

Despite the additional resources, the project struggled largely due to technical issues surrounding the engine, or the suite of tools and technology that developers use to construct a game, according to people familiar with the process. Odyssey was originally prototyped on the popular Unreal Engine, from Epic Games Inc., but Blizzard executives decided to switch, in part, because it wouldn’t support their ambitions for vast maps supporting up to 100 players at once.

Blizzard instead directed the Odyssey team to use Synapse, an internal engine that the company had originally developed for mobile games and envisioned as something that would be shared across many of its projects. But that led to significant problems as the technology was slow to coalesce, and Odyssey’s artists instead spent time prototyping content in the Unreal Engine that they knew would have to be discarded later, said the people.

When the Microsoft acquisition was finalized, some Blizzard staff were hopeful that they might be able to switch back to Unreal Engine rather than trying to finish the game on Synapse. In an interview at BlizzCon in November, Ybarra said that their new parent company would offer them the freedom to use the technology of their choice without having to go through the board of directors as in the past.

“The tech leaders will decide what the engines are,” he said.

Despite the challenges, Odyssey appeared to be making progress. People who played early versions of the game enjoyed it and thought there was a lot of potential in the market for a survival game that hit Blizzard’s bar for quality. Still, Odyssey was years away from completion. At one point, Blizzard was looking to expand the team to hundreds of people in hopes of targeting a 2026 release, but even that seemed overly optimistic to some developers.

Instead, the project was canceled as the company concluded that Synapse was not ready for production.

Around the Network

Sounds like Deep Down all over again, an engine putting a game in development hell and ultimately killing the product.

Why would you use a mobile engine for an AAA console product anyway...

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 25 January 2024

G2ThaUNiT said:

Xbox going the way of PC gaming lol. Sony isn't that far behind now selling PS5's with an optional disc drive even in the $500 model that just happens to come with a disc drive that you can still remove.

Idk if I even see myself gaming in 5 years at this point.

Why? Dont you buy games to play games?

Hifi rush got an update on PC today adding Dualsense support. Playstation Icons, Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. Maybe a sign the rumoured port is real.

konnichiwa said:
PixelPirate said:

I don't really understand why Xbox always wants to be the first in making controversial decisions, such as going all digital and 'always online'. Let someone else (Sony) take the heat for a change.

Well pushing digital makes sense at the moment.*

If you go any store you barely see Xbox games in Europe, if you can kill physical faster with not releasing physical versions of multiplatform first party games why would you not do it?   I am pretty sure that during holidays a lot of parents don't get an xbox because they don't see games for it.   It is nice to give a gift like a Switch or Playstation that comes with a physical game. We all remember when we got our consoles or physical games as kids.

Yeah and the kids in 2024 will ask why they are supposed to use outdated discs. Not sure why we should compare our childhood with that of those from now and in the future. I don't understand gamers who act like 60 years old who can't go with the time. 

I also remember the good times using a cassette player to record the songs from the radio or how my friends and I borrowed games on the weekends and yet I understand that this is nothing kids in 2024 really ask for. 

I mean, it may come too early for you or a few others but what do you expect? That these companies will still release physical copies in 200 years because there are a few who would like that?

BasilZero said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Xbox going the way of PC gaming lol. Sony isn't that far behind now selling PS5's with an optional disc drive even in the $500 model that just happens to come with a disc drive that you can still remove.

Idk if I even see myself gaming in 5 years at this point.

Why? Dont you buy games to play games?

I probably should've elaborated lol. I replied to Ryuu pointing how much uncertainty there is the industry, Western AAA gaming appears to be heading towards some sort of crash with unknowns as to how the industry will look after that and to what extent the damage will be.

I don't think I've ever seen this much uncertainty in the industry in my lifetime. The gaming landscape may look veeeeeery different in 5 years.