By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Dulfite said:

Since MS has not gotten much love, do you think we may see them focus certain developers on making their version of certain types of games?

I'd be shocked if there isn't talks of developing:

-Smas Bros type game.
-Mariokart type game.
-Zelda/Horizons type game.
-2d family friendly, funny, silly game like 2d Mario.
-Some AAA cozy sim game, like Animal Crossing.

They have TONS of M rated shooter or first person action adventure games. They need more family-friendly content.

I think Xbox Studios should act as an ideation group, one which conceptualizes games they would like to see focus and offers them to whoever wants to pick them up with an associated budget, and if no internally owned studios want to pick them up look out for 2nd party partnership to realize the vision. 

With this approach, the hands-off approach of Xbox is preserved while they still prioritize projects they would like to see materialize.

I agree with most of your list except:

Smash Bros type is definitely possible however others have tried and failed to copy Nintendo's success there so maybe Xbox won't be looking at prioritizing this one.

Also, the open-world Fable might already fit the bill of a Zelda-like experience.

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 15 November 2023

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:

They have 505 on LinkedIn, so I feel like maybe he was using an older number. But let's stick with 450 for now. 250 on Starfield DLC currently, Bethesda Austin does Fallout 76 and they have roughly 100 devs. So that is 350/450 accounted for, meaning they should have at least 100 on TES 6 now. Wonder how many they had on TES 6 throughout the 5+ years between TES 6's announcement and Starfield's release? Hopefully they are at least like 20% done after working on it for the last 5+ years, would love to see it release Holiday 2028 alongside the next gen Xbox. 

They really need to staff up some more and up their game with TES 6, they're going to need to work that extra bit harder just to counteract the Xbox tax now and see TES 6 review 90+ like it will surely deserve. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 November 2023

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

They have 505 on LinkedIn, so I feel like maybe he was using an older number. But let's stick with 450 for now. 250 on Starfield DLC currently, Bethesda Austin does Fallout 76 and they have roughly 100 devs. So that is 350/450 accounted for, meaning they should have at least 100 on TES 6 now. Wonder how many they had on TES 6 throughout the 5+ years between TES 6's announcement and Starfield's release? Hopefully they are at least like 20% done after working on it for the last 5+ years, would love to see it release Holiday 2028 alongside the next gen Xbox. 

They really need to staff up some more and up their game with TES 6, they're going to need to work that extra bit harder just to counteract the Xbox tax now and see TES 6 review 90+ like it will surely deserve. 

+ Fallout Next Gen Update and Mobile Games.

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

+ Fallout Next Gen Update and Mobile Games.

Yeah, what the heck is going on with that Fallout 4 update, was supposed to be a 2023 release but we haven't heard a thing about it in like a year now. Get that update out already. Would be one thing to take this long if it was a proper new gen update with noticeable graphics improvements (HQ textures, improved character models, lighting improvements, etc. like the Witcher 3 next-gen update got), but it's just 4K support for Xbox Series and PS5 and a 60 fps mode for PS5 (Xbox already had 60 fps through FPS boost, though maybe they will boost the resolution on that mode from 1080p to 1440p or something alongside the new update) and some new Creation Club content, it shouldn't take more than a year to do that. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 November 2023

Around the Network

The expansion doing some good for AoE 4! Reached Steam's Global top 5 sellers by Revenue and number 2 best-selling game globally in general

A live performance of this needs to be the musical act for The Game Awards this year:

I just now realized thanks to a youtube video recommendation that Remedy recast Saga for Alan Wake 2. Quantum Break had an Alan Wake 2 teaser video hidden inside of it, where you can see the original Saga actress alongside her FBI partner Alex Casey, the teaser is for "Return", which is the name of Saga's campaign in Alan Wake 2:

gtotheunit91 said:
Dulfite said:

Since MS has not gotten much love, do you think we may see them focus certain developers on making their version of certain types of games?

-Smas Bros type game.
-Mariokart type game.

They have TONS of M rated shooter or first person action adventure games. They need more family-friendly content.

Eh, I don't want Xbox to just copy the types of games Sony or Nintendo make. The occasional similar type game sure, but Xbox is pretty spread out when it comes to the types of games they make. 

Just this gen alone, they've had:

Pentiment (Graphic Adventure RPG)
Grounded (Survival)
Age of Empires (Real-Time Strategy)
As Dusk Falls (Visual Novel)
MS Flight Simulator (Flight Simulation)
Psychonauts 2 (3D Platformer)
Hi-Fi Rush (Rhythm Action)
Combo the racing genre of Arcade racing with Forza Horizon 5 and Racing Sim with Forza Motorsport

I do agree that Xbox needs more family-friendly content, but as far as types of games though, Xbox has never been in a more creatively diverse state. And that's without mentioning the M rated shooters or first person action adventure games you mentioned. 

I appreciate many of those games, and agree they are getting more diverse in their offerings. However, as fun as they are, none of them are truly kid friendly games. Hi-Fi is a wonderful game, but had some inappropriate language in it for kids. Psychonauts 2 has some non-kid friendly stuff as well, if it's anything like the first. Grounded can feel like straight horror with the spiders. Pentiment, As Dusk Falls, Age of Empire, MS Flight, and the racing games and Ori are either not kid friendly or too complicated for kids.

They have a lot of content for 10 or 12 and up, but basically nothing outside of Minecraft for under 10 years old yet can be enjoyed by adults like many of Nintendo games.

Ryuu96 said:
Dulfite said:

-Smas Bros type game.
-Mariokart type game.

Tell them what to make? Nah, that isn't how Phil operates or what he promised the studios when he acquired them, I'm also strongly against it, developers should be allowed to make what they want to make, doing otherwise causes resentment and departures, a lack of passion in a project as well.

Having said that, I'm sure they could find a developer who wants to work on these things...Toys for Bob Studio Head for example said he would like to see Banjo revived one day, that isn't him saying he wants to make it but...I don't think he'd turn it down.

Imo a Mario Kart like game would be cool with all the IPs that Xbox has now, I would simply revive Crash Team Racing and stick lots of Xbox characters in it, fairly simple and I'm sure Beenox would like to work on that. Don't really think a Smash Bros copy would do well but Idk.

I've a feeling that Everwild will be a spiritual successor to Viva Pinata in many ways.

With all the many thousands of developers MS now has, I'm 100% certain thete are at least 300 who would love to make MS own Zelda action adventure game, at least 200 or so that could make a 2d Mario-like game, etc.