By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network

"Xbox fans, and fans of physical media, watch this space for a formal announcement. It's going to be a busy week 👀"

If I could change one thing for each category.

Game of the Year
Resident Evil 4 > Hi-Fi Rush

Best Art Direction
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom > Starfield

Best Score and Music
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom > Starfield

Best Ongoing Game
Apex Legends (Respawn Entertainment/EA)
Genshin Impact (HoYoverse)

Not sure, either Elder Scrolls Online or Halo Infinite. We end up with the same nominations every year, it's boring.

Best Community Support
Destiny 2 > Grounded

Most Anticipated Game
Tekken 8 > Avowed

Best Esports Game
PUBG Mobile > Halo Infinite

Best Esports Athlete
Lee “Faker” Sang-hyeok (League of Legends)
Park “Ruler” Jae-hyuk (League of Legends)

There's two for LoL, remove one and replace them with Formal, as one of the best FPS players of all time, a champion across Halo and COD.

Best Esports Team
Evil Geniuses (Valorant)
Fnatic (Valorant)

Again, two for a single game, I'd replace one with a Halo team.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 13 November 2023

I'll say one thing though, the memes about Destiny 2 being nominated are fucking hilarious.

Around the Network

Because of TGA stupid cutoff date, Pentiment got shafted both last year and this year. 

gtotheunit91 said:

Because of TGA stupid cutoff date, Pentiment got shafted both last year and this year. 

Yeah, that is one of many reasons why I don't like The Game Awards for actual awards, only for the game reveals. They are bad about not nominating games that missed their cutoff date on the previous year for any awards. A good case in point would be Jedi Fallen Order, released after the cutoff date for Keighley's show in 2019, so it received no nominations on either the 2019 or 2020 The Game Awards in terms of critic voted awards as far as I can remember (came in 3rd place on the Player Voted Award). Meanwhile, Jedi Fallen Order got nominations on multiple other Gaming Awards shows, winning awards at the DICE show (the developer voted award show where developers vote on one another's games), the Titanium Awards (Spain's Gaming Awards show), the SXSW (South by Southwest) Awards, the NAVGTR Awards, and the GANG awards. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 13 November 2023

The cut-off date is stupid, it's one of many reasons why I don't consider this to be a show focused on the awards, they could easily host the show in January or February and have the cut-off date as December 31st, nominations by mid-January, something like that, but they care more about getting in on the Holiday season, it's an advertising scheme more than an awards show.

Anyway, Xbox had a good showing, 10 nominations is strong (and I think there's a few more they should have had), aside from no GOTY nominations but they wouldn't have won it either way, it would have just been nice for the team at Tango to receive a nomination. Hopefully Xbox has something to show as well, update on a future release or a new reveal.

Ryuu96 said:

Random side note but I'm starting to believe that Microsoft will take over Apple again as #1 market cap, eventually.

Has a good chance of happening. I never got why Apple is as highly valued as it is tbh. Microsoft has a bit more diversity to it's business structure and they've closed the gap on Apple quite a bit.