By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

Already said this on the main page, but people fundamentally misunderstood what that deadline meant for July 18th. The reason Microsoft was going to walk away if the PI was granted was because they were facing down another 6-12 months of regulatory litigation with no guarantee of success, compared to now where they are looking at maybe 6-8 weeks of paperwork. The shareholders are going to wait a few more weeks and get their payout. 

Around the Network

Ryuu96 said:
Machiavellian said:

This does not make sense to me.  If there is a breakup fee at a certain point in time and that time expire why would they get sued for taking advantage of their option.  There is nothing and I mean nothing holding ABK from terminating this deal besides that they feel that its going to go through and MS offer the best deal they can get at this time.  If ABK feel they could get a better deal, I am sure they would vote 98% on that deal because at the end of the day its all about the money.  ABK is no more beholden to continue to go along with this deal unless the ability for success is much better than any other option that could come along.

None of what you say makes sense because the whole point of having a termination fee and both parties can walk away after that date passes is exactly the reason you state.  Anything before that date, yes, ABK could get sued, anything after that date, ABK can do whatever they like.  MS would not be pushing for a new deal unless they wanted to make sure to avoid that situation where ABK could just quit anytime between now and when MS or even ABK feel the CMA would finalize their decision.

Now do I believe the deal is happening yes, but that does not mean some BS could crop up and the scenario I put out there could not happen.  As far as shareholders are concerned is not who purchase ABK, its how high of a value they can get for their money.

They have a legal responsibility to do everything they can which is in the shareholders best interest. Shareholders best interest right now is this deal going through. If they quit now, when the valuation is at $90+ a share, and tank the valuation back down to mid 70s, right at the final hurdle, then Activision's CEO and Board have caused damaged to shareholder value which was easily unavoidable.

The company has to answer to its shareholders and they don't get that $3bn. The valuation loss would far exceed the $3bn that Microsoft gives them and that affects every single shareholder. There is therefore a legal responsibility holding Activision back from terminating the deal and a financial one, it is in their best interest to extend the deal at this stage of the game rather than taking $3bn but tank their company value.

Activision "feeling" they can get a better deal is irrelevant to shareholders, they would need proof, they would need to show they have a better deal, not just words, it would have to be backed up by action and proof. They can't just be like "oh, we might get a better deal so for now, all of you will have to suffer incase we maybe get a better deal"

And right now the odds of them getting a better deal are slim to none. They need to find a company that not only has the money to outbid Microsoft at $95 a share, but also one which is even interested and one that also wouldn't face regulatory scrutiny for another 6-12 months. There are few companies who match that criteria and they'd need that offer now, not later.

It'd likely have to be a decent outbid too, I don't think another company could simply do $96 a share versus Microsoft's $95 a share because Microsoft's current offer will almost certainly be wrapped up next month whilst a new offer will be another 6-12 months of regulatory scrutiny, uncertainty and people want to be paid out now.

Not to mention as I said, Activision was acquired during a period of exploding growth and shit interest rates, times have changed and that decreases the amount of suitors even further as to who is willing to spend that much in the current climate. Activision could be acquired for lower, but right now you're asking someone to beat $95 a share, that's a tall order.

Activision-Blizzard has a legal responsibility to do everything in their power to get the deal through, the termination fee has specific reasons however as to how either side would be paid out and that's usually if there's no path forward for the deal. Now that the timeline is about to be met, they'll be no restrictions and Activision can back out for any reason.

Your mistake here is treating today as if things were a few months ago when Activision's stock was nowhere near Microsoft's offered price and they had multiple block attempts against them, if the deadline had passed then, maybe we would see Activision stop because the share price wouldn't drop so hard and they could be more justified with the CMA/FTC blocks against them.

However things are far different now, the stock price is at $90+ now because the vast majority of shareholders now believe this deal is going through, they're right at the finish line, this deal will pass in either July or August, everyone can see that but they couldn't a few months ago, it makes it a lot harder for Bobby to justify backing out now, $3bn or not.

Ryuu, nothing you state means that ABK cannot still walk away from this deal.  There is nothing locking ABK now to MS besides their belief that the deal will make it to the finish line.  ABK responsibility is still to get the best deal possible and mind you there are other big players who would gladly pay the price now that they know the publisher is up for sale. 

There is no need to have a contract in place to prevent both parties from leaving the merger unless there is a real scenario where either party could just up and leave at any time during the process.  here is no need to renegotiate an extension to the previous deal if there is not a serious case where ABK could leave the merger. If I remember ABK got sued when they accepted the merger and that got no where.  I am sure if ABK decides to leave the merger getting sued would also go no where because because ABK can decided to stay or go at anytime no matter what.  The thing is I am not sure if that needs to go to a vote but if so then the likelihood of a lawsuit is even less if they voted yes.

Also we need to look at ABK structure.  This line where ABK as a company has to answer to shareholders is not true.  Not all companies shares have voting rights and not all companies have to jump at the whims what shareholders want.  Its the same as people kept talking about MS shareholders wanting the Xbox division gone.  MS never cared about such things because shareholders do not have enough voting rights to direct the company or the divisions.  

We will see if another deal gets done but like I said, when there is big money on the line and other suiters who probably would be happen to get ABK, in order for ABK to stay in the deal, it will be interesting to see who has the bigger leverage.  The fact we have not heard about another deal being set I believe is not because either ABK and MS feel no hurry.  I believe both companies are throwing around some big numbers and they have not come to a resolution yet.  ABK could be seriously asking for the world and MS could be saying stick to the original deal.  Who blinks in these negotiations will be the winner.

Imaginedvl said:
Machiavellian said:

This does not make sense to me.  If there is a breakup fee at a certain point in time and that time expire why would they get sued for taking advantage of their option. 

Very simple :) Their duty is to make more money to the shareholders. Simple as that, that's the prime reason of existence of the board; drive the stock up, not down. Breaking up is going to make shareholders LOSE a lot of money :D

And by a lot, I mean a lot, I'm telling you that the whole board and Bobby would be in BIG trouble if they would do that. 

Actually from the research I did, its not that ABK could be sued that is the problem, its more along what Randy stated in that ABK would need to have a vote on staying or leaving the merger.  Since all of ABK stock has voting rights, its not like the company can quit the deal without going though that whole process.

Spade said:

Xbox Girl HYPE!!!

These are usually pretty funny, but that was the worst caricature of Phil ever lol

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

They have a legal responsibility to do everything they can which is in the shareholders best interest. Shareholders best interest right now is this deal going through. If they quit now, when the valuation is at $90+ a share, and tank the valuation back down to mid 70s, right at the final hurdle, then Activision's CEO and Board have caused damaged to shareholder value which was easily unavoidable.

The company has to answer to its shareholders and they don't get that $3bn. The valuation loss would far exceed the $3bn that Microsoft gives them and that affects every single shareholder. There is therefore a legal responsibility holding Activision back from terminating the deal and a financial one, it is in their best interest to extend the deal at this stage of the game rather than taking $3bn but tank their company value.

Activision "feeling" they can get a better deal is irrelevant to shareholders, they would need proof, they would need to show they have a better deal, not just words, it would have to be backed up by action and proof. They can't just be like "oh, we might get a better deal so for now, all of you will have to suffer incase we maybe get a better deal"

And right now the odds of them getting a better deal are slim to none. They need to find a company that not only has the money to outbid Microsoft at $95 a share, but also one which is even interested and one that also wouldn't face regulatory scrutiny for another 6-12 months. There are few companies who match that criteria and they'd need that offer now, not later.

It'd likely have to be a decent outbid too, I don't think another company could simply do $96 a share versus Microsoft's $95 a share because Microsoft's current offer will almost certainly be wrapped up next month whilst a new offer will be another 6-12 months of regulatory scrutiny, uncertainty and people want to be paid out now.

Not to mention as I said, Activision was acquired during a period of exploding growth and shit interest rates, times have changed and that decreases the amount of suitors even further as to who is willing to spend that much in the current climate. Activision could be acquired for lower, but right now you're asking someone to beat $95 a share, that's a tall order.

Activision-Blizzard has a legal responsibility to do everything in their power to get the deal through, the termination fee has specific reasons however as to how either side would be paid out and that's usually if there's no path forward for the deal. Now that the timeline is about to be met, they'll be no restrictions and Activision can back out for any reason.

Your mistake here is treating today as if things were a few months ago when Activision's stock was nowhere near Microsoft's offered price and they had multiple block attempts against them, if the deadline had passed then, maybe we would see Activision stop because the share price wouldn't drop so hard and they could be more justified with the CMA/FTC blocks against them.

However things are far different now, the stock price is at $90+ now because the vast majority of shareholders now believe this deal is going through, they're right at the finish line, this deal will pass in either July or August, everyone can see that but they couldn't a few months ago, it makes it a lot harder for Bobby to justify backing out now, $3bn or not.

Ryuu, nothing you state means that ABK cannot still walk away from this deal.  There is nothing locking ABK now to MS besides their belief that the deal will make it to the finish line.  ABK responsibility is still to get the best deal possible and mind you there are other big players who would gladly pay the price now that they know the publisher is up for sale. 

There is no need to have a contract in place to prevent both parties from leaving the merger unless there is a real scenario where either party could just up and leave at any time during the process.  here is no need to renegotiate an extension to the previous deal if there is not a serious case where ABK could leave the merger. If I remember ABK got sued when they accepted the merger and that got no where.  I am sure if ABK decides to leave the merger getting sued would also go no where because because ABK can decided to stay or go at anytime no matter what.  The thing is I am not sure if that needs to go to a vote but if so then the likelihood of a lawsuit is even less if they voted yes.

Also we need to look at ABK structure.  This line where ABK as a company has to answer to shareholders is not true.  Not all companies shares have voting rights and not all companies have to jump at the whims what shareholders want.  Its the same as people kept talking about MS shareholders wanting the Xbox division gone.  MS never cared about such things because shareholders do not have enough voting rights to direct the company or the divisions.  

We will see if another deal gets done but like I said, when there is big money on the line and other suiters who probably would be happen to get ABK, in order for ABK to stay in the deal, it will be interesting to see who has the bigger leverage.  The fact we have not heard about another deal being set I believe is not because either ABK and MS feel no hurry.  I believe both companies are throwing around some big numbers and they have not come to a resolution yet.  ABK could be seriously asking for the world and MS could be saying stick to the original deal.  Who blinks in these negotiations will be the winner.

I don’t think there are currently any other companies out there that have the means and the will to purchase ABK, for a variety of reasons: 

1. He asking price would probably have to go up substantially to justify being stuck in another 18 months of regulatory limbo. Think instead of $70 billion more like $100-$110, which is basically the entire market cap of Sony. 

2. There are basically only 3 companies on earth that could make that purchase, Apple, Amazon, and Google. All 3 of these would face the same or more regulatory scrutiny that Microsoft did if they attempted this purchase. 

3. You would have to convince the thousands of shareholders all over again to keep the company in regulatory limbo for another 18 months

its simply not a realistic outcome 

https://vxtwitter.com/lulumeservey/status/1681644640368304129?s=20

This discussion is all moot now, Microsoft and ABK have reached a deadline extension agreement

Deadline has been extended to October 18th, but I highly doubt it takes that long. This also quashed any speculation that Bobby Kotick was trying to scuttle the deal to keep control of ABK. He very clearly wants his payday

Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

Activision-Blizzard literally has a legal responsibility to achieve the best for their shareholders. They will not be able to walk away from the deal at this stage unless they have a seriously good counteroffer from another company and there is absolutely zero evidence or even rumblings that has happened or is happening.

"There are other big players who would gladly pay the price now that they know the publisher is up for sale."

Activision-Blizzard was shopping themselves around back when Microsoft acquired them, back when interest rates were shit, back when Gaming was exploding, Microsoft offered the best and nobody else bothered to match them, what makes you think anything has changed now? There's again zero evidence to believe that anything has changed in that regard. Meta refused to acquire Activision-Blizzard and they asked other companies as well.

There is a very strong belief right now, that this deal is done, the current share price is $93 per share, that shows us that shareholders basically think this deal is a lock at this stage. Again, the best offer made back then was Microsoft's and that was when times were even better to snatch up a massive gaming publisher.

It's hilarious to even suggest that Google would exceed Microsoft's $95 a share...It makes absolutely zero sense after everything that has gone on with Google, after they killed their Cloud Gaming and Studios. After how little Google as a company invests into new ideas, ignoring the change in interest rates and market factors have changed since 2021.

Again...You're treating this as if it were a few months ago when CMA/FTC blocked the deal and Activision-Blizzard's share price hit around $75 a share because the deal was assumed dead. Huge developments have happened since then, the share price is now $93 a share which shows everyone thinks the deal is done. The FTC is out of the way and the CMA will be dealt with in the space of a month.

Investors want to be paid out now, they don't want to wait another year filled with uncertainty (and in that time, the stock price will definitely drop from $93) unless the offer is a very good one, one which notable beats Microsoft's offer who by all accounts are already overpaying for Activision at $95 a share in 2023 (made more sense in late 2021) but it's the offer they'll repeat because it's the offer made. 

You seriously think that shareholders would be happy at losing billions in Activision's total valuation because Activision Blizzard says "trust us brehs, we can get a better deal, we don't have one now but you guys can suffer and lose huge amounts of money in the meanwhile and wait it out, suckers" when they're right at the finish line with every single shareholder now about to make it big and almost all of them expecting the deal to go through?

They're already planning what they're spending their money on at this stage, Lol.

Again...You're literally ignoring the $93 a share right now...The vast majority of shareholders expect this deal to go through now and stand to lose big if it doesn't. That is completely different to some tiny groups inside of Microsoft wanting the Xbox division gone, the vast majority of shareholders don't give a shit about Xbox either way and have no hard opinion on keeping it or not.

Microsoft has the bigger leverage right now Imo, because if the deal collapses then Activision-Blizzard collapses from $95 to ~$75 and loses billions in valuation, they are extremely unlikely to get a better offer than the one Microsoft is offering right now due to the changing market and financial situations of the world, especially if the deal collapses.

There are few companies that have the cash reserves that Microsoft has and not only that, they'd have to be interested in the market, be willing to overpay, and be willing to face a year of regulatory battles. One reason for the contract is to keep shareholders calm so that the stock price doesn't dip again because then it would be easier for Activision to back out.

Angelus said:
Spade said:

Xbox Girl HYPE!!!

These are usually pretty funny, but that was the worst caricature of Phil ever lol

Yeah thought the same actually, they depicted Spencer the exact same as an Xbox hatter would. I guess we were supposed to find the thought of Spencer being actually like his detractor views him as funny. It could have been if it was limited to a few jokes insinuating such, but those were way too obvious and non-stop that if made miss instead.