By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Spade said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Hopefully, the CMA is quick in accepting MS's proposal. I want my ABK games in GamePass YESTERDAY.

Why? More games you won't play? :slightsmile

Yes, *gasmvert*

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:

Wonder what has become of the gamers' lawsuit, they're probably shaking their boots thinking they'll, in the end, have to pay for their legal fee XD or so it would if Sony did not finance it.

I think I read that the 9th circuit threw it out the other day

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed to us that this deal covers the next ten years, and is specific to Call of Duty, not other Activision games. After 2033, it will need to be renegotiated to continue. 

Seems like a downgrade.

Phil's 1st Email to Jim Ryan

I continue to stand behind the written agreement I sent you on January 31, 2022 with my signature memoralizing our commitment to Sony. The agreement would keep all existing Activision console titles on Sony, including future versions in the Call of Duty franchise or any other current Activision franchise on Sony, through December 31, 2027. That includes content and feature parity, as well as making it clear that we would not feature any timed-exclusive releases of such content on Xbox consoles.

If I'm reading that right, is Phil saying that the original deal included all current Activision franchises on Sony? Then that original deal expanded to 10 years, so in effect, the original deal was all current Activision franchises on Sony platforms will be contractually obliged to release on PlayStation consoles for 10 years.

Now it's just COD?

Wonder if this is "Activision" titles only or they're just using "Activision" as a short way of saying Activision-Blizzard, Lol.

If it's Activision only then Spyro and Crash just got pulled from the deal.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 16 July 2023

Ryuu96 said:

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed to us that this deal covers the next ten years, and is specific to Call of Duty, not other Activision games. After 2033, it will need to be renegotiated to continue. 

I honestly have strong doubts that these CoD deals will be renegotiated after the 10 years expire. As MS pointed out in court, these types of things aren't exactly normal. You don't usually need a contract to simply publish a game on a platform. You just do it, unless there's some specific issue that arises. 

Around the Network

Okay re-reading the original email, it looks like they're using Activision as a shortened way of saying Activision-Blizzard.

So Crash, Spyro, Diablo and Overwatch were just ripped from the original deal, Lul.

Doesn't really matter for Diablo and Overwatch though, neither are getting a sequel anytime soon.

But it looks like Microsoft just kept the door open for exclusive Crash and Spyro while the original deal offered them both to remain on PlayStation.

After 2033, it will need to be renegotiated to continue. 

I wonder if Jez was told this or he's assuming...How would that work with the current marketing agreement? IIRC Microsoft said in court that their deal was financially better than the one Sony currently has because ABK takes a larger share of the revenue from digital transactions, Microsoft's offer brought it back to 70/30.

So either Jez is wrong or maybe the split doesn't start until the marketing agreement ends, they've kept the current terms (80/20?) or this deal (70/30) overrides the current marketing deal agreement split?

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 16 July 2023

Ryuu96 said:

Thanks god. I mean I did not see any reason for them to go for more but it is reassuring :)

Ryuu96 said:

Okay re-reading the original email, it looks like they're using Activision as a shortened way of saying Activision-Blizzard.

So Crash, Spyro, Diablo and Overwatch were just ripped from the original deal, Lul.

Doesn't really matter for Diablo and Overwatch though, neither are getting a sequel anytime soon.

But it looks like Microsoft just kept the door open for exclusive Crash and Spyro while the original deal offered them both to remain on PlayStation.

There is also a rumor about Starcraft 3 (maybe they will show it at Microzzoft-Con, hum, I meant Blizzcon); granted this is only PC maybe Blizzard is also working to make it console enabled (like Halo Wars) :D Who knows, we can dream haha

Man, it's a shame, I really want to see the terms of these contracts now, the court trial spoiled me, haha. Now we won't ever see anything like this again, or at least, not until another huge court battle happens.

I want to see but I never will!!!