By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Man i hate cats. That stray should of stayed Sony Exclusive. Give me a Dog any day @Spade and all other cat lovers in this thread .

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Seems Bloober Team announced they are dropping psychological horror games after their recent 3rd and final Layers of Fear game, and will make more mainstream horror games in the future, such as the already announced Scopophobia and Silent Hill 2 remake, as they want to grow their popularity beyond what psychological horror allows. End of an era. Bit of a shame, there aren't many devs out there working on psychological horror games, and Bloober was among the best who did make them. Well, at least we still have Project Mara for psychological horror.

On console maybe?. On Pc the is lots of devs who make them type of horror games. Seems like a new one pops up every week. Are they as good cant say but many of them have just as good as reviews on steam as the bloober games.

zero129 said:
konnichiwa said:

I agree the FTC wins, the same people who said CMA will accept the deal are mostly the same ones who say FTC lost

Clearly you would say and hope that to be true .

Thing with Noble and spade etc they are mostly joking around. i bet you really believe after all this the FTC have a good case .

Emotions or being a good case doesn't matter, Facts in the end do.

And the fact is that most said that the CMA will not obstruct the deal..

If this would go on a few years my opinion about the deal would become aeonian, I don't really care because the benefits seem to be nihill for me and only is a good thing for MS or fanboys(from which side wins).

zero129 said:
Ryuu96 said:

-Snip-

Im shocked that you wouldnt know this .. But ES online?. But thats also on playstation .

The Judge specifically asked what Zenimax title is comparable to Call of Duty that Xbox has taken away from PlayStation and she specifically prefaced it by saying it had to be a huge, multiplayer title.

The FTC lawyers response was "The Elder Scrolls"

Microsoft's lawyer then injected and said, The Elder Scrolls has two versions, The Elder Scrolls Online which is a multiplayer title and still available on PlayStation and The Elder Scrolls VI which does not have multiplayer.

shikamaru317 said:

Nice. My favorite of all the AC games. Will be nice to play it again, on I'm assuming the next-gen version of the AnvilNext engine, which is being designed for AC Project Red (Japan) and AC  Project Hexe (Holy Roman Empire). If this remake is a few years out, I can't imagine it will be on the current version of the Anvil engine, which has been used from AC Origins in 2017 through AC Mirage in 2023. 

Lol. This feels like Ubisoft already knows Skull & Bones will be a bomb and so they're moving Ubisoft Singapore quickly over to Black Flag Remake.

The order of events: Everyone liked Black Flag, in particular, the pirate aspect > Ubisoft sees that and thinks, we'll create a pirate game > Ubisoft completely misses the point of why everyone liked Black Flag, they simply wanted a pirate game without the Assassin's Creed stuff, instead they make something which barely appeals to what they wanted > Waste years on that > Dump it out and move onto a Black Flag Remake.

shikamaru317 said:

Seems Bloober Team announced they are dropping psychological horror games after their recent 3rd and final Layers of Fear game, and will make more mainstream horror games in the future, such as the already announced Scopophobia and Silent Hill 2 remake, as they want to grow their popularity beyond what psychological horror allows. End of an era. Bit of a shame, there aren't many devs out there working on psychological horror games, and Bloober was among the best who did make them. Well, at least we still have Project Mara for psychological horror.

Lol...They do realise that Silent Hill is heavily a psychological horror, right?

zero129 said:
Ryuu96 said:

-Snip-

This deal is 100% procompetitive in that. If this deal wasnt done and if Activision decided to sell their IP to cloud gaming what companys would be able to buy them? Ms and amazon etc. The smaller start ups would be f**ked. How could they hope to compete with Amazon or MS?. This deal helps them by giving them start ups access to some of the biggest gaming IP's in the industry something they would never of got otherwise.

Exactly, I don't understand why some regulators believe that if Cloud Gaming became this huge thing they expect it to become, that companies like Activision-Blizzard would simply give away their titles for free to all these Cloud companies. It's Activision we're talking about, they're going to demand a high price and the smaller start-up companies won't be able to afford it.

If anything, Activision-Blizzard would make companies fight over their IP and sell them to the highest bidder, which would either be Microsoft, Amazon or Nvidia, Lol. The EU's contract is the most procompetitive scenario, it allows anyone who wants a contract to get one and since EU worked on it with Microsoft, I trust that they've made it under terms which are reasonable for smaller companies.

Just saw the poll.  

I've never had a cat.  Might try one on a Vietnamese menu though, I'm not scared.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 01 July 2023

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Vote - Most Wanted August

zero129 said:

Man i hate cats. That stray should of stayed Sony Exclusive. Give me a Dog any day @Spade and all other cat lovers in this thread .

Ehh cats aren't bad and I'm mildly allergic to them. I owned one cat as a kid and mostly dogs growing up. I became more of a cat guy in the last 4 years. Still love dogs too. One of the reasons I have a soft spot for Toyko Ghostwire was because of all the animals in it lol. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 01 July 2023

I propose that all the posters that bad-mouthed the VGchartz Xbox numbers over the years and claimed that they were to high due to some kind of a bias in favor to Xbox, issue a former apology to Trunks and whomever else work so hard at estimating those numbers for us in the Xbox sales numbers thread. Obviously there was no bias shown by VGChartz.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

A California federal judge appeared dubious Thursday of the Federal Trade Commission's bid to block Microsoft's $68.7 billion merger with Activision Blizzard Inc. during closings of a five-day hearing, criticizing the FTC expert's analysis and suggesting others could create a game rivaling Activision's Call of Duty.

The 20%:

Closing arguments began with Judge Corley focusing her questions on an estimate proposed by an FTC expert, Harvard University economics professor Robin Lee, who calculated that 20% of gamers would buy an Xbox in order to play Activision's wildly popular first-person shooter game Call of Duty if Microsoft makes the game exclusive to Xbox, foreclosing it from gaming console competitors like Sony, maker of PlayStation.

Judge Corley said Microsoft's expert witness, Elizabeth Bailey, a vice president at Charles River Associates, used "real-world data" regarding how many hours gamers play Call of Duty compared to other games, and the FTC expert didn't.

But the FTC attorneys disagreed, assuring the judge that their expert did indeed use "real-world data" by using game console sales to inform his analysis. Multiple FTC attorneys argued in defense of the expert's analysis, noting that Lee was attempting to predict future hypothetical trends if the merger were to occur and not current trends in the gaming industry.

Reputational Harm:

Throughout the hearing, the judge questioned various theories of the FTC's case, questioning why Lee didn't factor in reputational harm that could occur if Microsoft makes Call of Duty exclusive. Judge Corley also took issue with the fact that the FTC expert didn't consider whether consumers could boycott Call of Duty altogether if Microsoft makes it exclusive.

"You don't think a boycott is possible?" she asked the FTC. "I know it's beyond the evidence ... but that's something we see."

But the FTC counsel responded by arguing that reputational harm is not a factor typically considered in the antitrust analysis; it's a factor weighed in copyright law, which the judge acknowledged.

FTC attorneys also repeatedly told the judge that, according to antitrust law, the court must conduct a hypothetical monopolist test and, instead of examining the issues based on absolute terms proposed by Microsoft, should consider the probability that consumers might be harmed by the merger and thereby rule in the commission's favor.

The Devkits:

A Sony executive testified at trial that the proposed merger has forced the corporation to stop sharing its PlayStation developer data with Activision due to concerns the intellectual property will be leaked to Microsoft.

Judge Corley pointed out that Sony has chosen not to share its IP with Microsoft.

Why Call of Duty:

The judge also questioned why the FTC's case focused so closely on Activision's Call of Duty.

"Other games come and go, just like MySpace or TV shows or whatever, and I'm trying to figure out why … the emphasis on Call of Duty?" Judge Corley asked FTC attorney James H. Weingarten. "Isn't there an argument someone … else could come up with another game? Mr. [Bobby] Kotick, [Activision CEO], started from nothing, but he was able to do it."

Weingarten replied, "Content is key," and gamers want to play Call of Duty, which he noted is the No. 1 selling game each year.

The judge responded that not all gamers like Call of Duty and want to play it — a point she made throughout the hearing, citing Microsoft's survey data.

Weingarten acknowledged that there is a fraction of gamers who don't play Call of Duty, but he added that there are enough gamers who play the game "to make billions of dollars in revenue."

"Not everybody likes Coca-Cola, but if Coca-Cola and Pepsi merge, we would be here," Weingarten said.

FTC Faces Skeptical Judge As Microsoft Merger Hearing Ends - Law360

The Competition Appeal Tribunal denied a request on Wednesday from the UK's Competition and Markets Authority for the adjournment of the hearing until October, according to a filing on the court's website on Thursday.

The denial included language that suggested that the CMA needed more time to prepare its final order on the transaction after issuing its brief interim order blocking the Activision deal in April, citing concerns about cloud gaming. The main hearing in the appeal is set for July 28, with a time estimate of six days for the length of the trial.

"...It is suggested that the CMA has much other work to do ... great deal of time is being spent by the CMA preparing for the final order consequent of the Decision," according to the Appeal Tribunal filing.

Investors are focusing on that language and the possibility that Microsoft could have offered concessions in their comment period or that the final order may be different from the interim order, which may allow some leeway for Microsoft to close the deal, CNBC's David Faber said on Friday, citing people who are scrutinizing the court filings.

"It may point to some difference between the interim and final order and Microsoft's efforts to get it changed, giving it the leeway to perhaps even close the transaction while they still await word from the Competition Appeal Tribunal," Faber said.

UK Court Filing May Be Positive For Microsoft Deal For Activision - Report | Seeking Alpha

In The Microsoft-Activision Case, The FTC Was Defending Sony, Not Consumers (Forbes.com)