By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
ice said:
EspadaGrim said:

Housmarque making the top 17 is funny. IOI, People can Fly and Crytek would be solid realistic buys from that list. While I would love Remedy there is no chance that happens since they seem to have beef with MS.

It makes me wonder if sony somehow got a hold of the list and decided to buy Housemarque, surprised to not see asobo up for consideration.

Asobo were in the Initial 100 list along with Certain Affinity who also didn't make it in the Final list, I remember a Rumor back then that MS were in talks/interested with a studio close to Sony and people were speculating that it was Bluepoint so I guess now we know that it was Housemaque. 

My surprise is that not a single independent Japanese Studio made the Final List along with no Korean devs as well

Around the Network

AMD is Starfield’s Exclusive PC Partner - YouTube

Ryuu96 said:

If anyone wants to look through this stuff themselves, all the documents are here: files.cand.uscourts.gov - /files/23-cv-02880_FTC_v_Microsoft/

Dozens of strategy planning documents, emails between Xbox execs, etc.

Crazy level of insight we never get to see.

Now this is the good stuff. Meaning that we really never get to see under the hood of top execs talking about the market, their strategy what they truly think about their competition etc.  If anyone was tired of the whole ABK merger this type of insight should make them pause because you never get this level of detail within a huge corp like MS if not for them getting taken to court.  A lot of good nuggets here.

Ryuu96 said:

Phil barely seems to have any faith in xCloud adoption (as of 2019 at least) and is a bit desperate to find native mobile solutions for growth.

Phil doesn't even seem like a believer in xCloud, Loool. Imagine how pissed he will be if xCloud scuttles this deal.

Fucking CMA/FTC believe in xCloud more than Phil does. I wonder if xCloud is pushed by Satya.

As far as growth is concerned, NO XCloud is not the driver of the industry and probably will not be for a while.  As he stated, mobile is a huge market but the customer base their isn't really interested in the type of games that sell on console and PC.  He want more accomplished mobile developers and find a way to turn mobile customers into Xbox customers as the growth potential is way higher.

I am sure he must be frustrated as hell that out of all the things the CMA could block the merger, it was something he basically has no real interest in pushing.

FTC's Expert Witness Report is Live: gov.uscourts.cand.413969.224.0.pdf (courtlistener.com)

Around the Network

Lee argues that Microsoft has economic incentive to withhold CoD or degrade Activision content on PlayStation, Lol.

He defines the markets as...

• High-Performance Video Game Consoles (Excluding PC).
  • Video Game Consoles
  • Content Library and Cloud Gaming Services
  • Content Library Services
  • Cloud Gaming Services
Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 27 June 2023

He argues that Xbox could do terrible things such as timed exclusive content, something which Sony already does.

He tries to discredit Minecraft by arguing that foreclosing Minecraft on PlayStation would have had little effect on PlayStation compared to foreclosing CoD on PlayStation.

He uses Stadia and argues that Stadia's failure provides evidence that entry into Cloud Streaming Services is challenging, even for "well-financed companies".

Lol I feel like this hurts his argument, if even well-financed companies are struggling then how the hell will low-financed companies be able to afford the likes of CoD and such without this Microsoft deal, this 10 year deal to many Cloud companies will basically be a lifeline for 10 years to allow them to grow their business and hopefully then in the future be able to afford other large titles.

If people think Activision as an independent company will give their titles for free to these indie cloud services then they don't know nothing about Activision.

Ryuu96 said:

Lee argues that Microsoft has economic incentive to withhold CoD or degrade Activision content on PlayStation, Lol.

He defines the markets as...

• High-Performance Video Game Consoles (Excluding PC).
  • Video Game Consoles
  • Content Library and Cloud Gaming Services
  • Content Library Services
  • Cloud Gaming Services

My first question as the MS lawyer is to ask him to please point to the video game system that thrives as a market without a content library or services? Then I'm asking him, if there are in fact multiple of these ALWAYS wrapped up into any one ecosystem, how can you possibly define any of them as an entity onto itself?

Ryuu96 said:

He argues that Xbox could do terrible things such as timed exclusive content, something which Sony already does.

He tries to discredit Minecraft by arguing that foreclosing Minecraft on PlayStation would have had little effect on PlayStation compared to foreclosing CoD on PlayStation.

He uses Stadia and argues that Stadia's failure provides evidence that entry into Cloud Streaming Services is challenging, even for "well-financed companies".

Lol I feel like this hurts his argument, if even well-financed companies are struggling then how the hell will low-financed companies be able to afford the likes of CoD and such without this Microsoft deal, this 10 year deal to many Cloud companies will basically be a lifeline for 10 years to allow them to grow their business and hopefully then in the future be able to afford other large titles.

If people think Activision as an independent company will give their titles for free to these indie cloud services then they don't know nothing about Activision.

Seems nobody cared to forward Jim Ryan email to this "market expert".

Probably a boring day, Jim Ryan is sealed, Lori is not on the stand, two Nvidia execs who have short statements.

The FTC's expert witness and Xbox's expert witness but will probably be boring market definitions.