By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

All I can think about is Starfield.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Lol, I read in the ResetEra thread that Jez now claims the Gears Collection doesn't exist so PCF being assigned to it only now would be a reasonable prediction.

Jez claims that TC is all in on Gears 6 now and he started hyping it up as TC going all out on it.

Blah blah but I do want to see TC soon, we need the masters of Unreal Engine back.

Meh,

To be honest the reasonable part of the gears community accepted that the collection was just a rumour but people started to believe in it ofcourse when Phil mentioned 'we have a collection of games coming' and people took it literally, can't blame the community.

Also would make sense to have a gears collection coming soon and maybe even this year with the netflix movie and animation showing coming up and Gears 6 in 2025. Having something extra this year would have been great..

People can fly making the collection will not be well receieved after judgement, heck even the Gears of war retrospective book only has 2 pages about Judgement and one of the pages is just art...

On a side note but I found it weird that Halo infinite did not show up in the showcase but skipping the extended showcase seems awkward.  What's up with that?

I understand why people are disappointed in Avowed's art-style change given it was something different in the CG trailer but I trust Obsidian knows what they're doing, I trust Obsidian when they say they want to focus on their strengths and not chase after being an Elder Scrolls clone, I trust Carrie knows what she is doing with Avowed since it's in the same universe as Pillars, a universe she provided significant input in creating.

And lastly I don't mind the change because I don't mind the art-style, I don't mind a little wild colour, touch up the lighting a little though, I think that needs improving and we still have likely a whole year to improve the graphics and we've seen time and time again how big graphical updates developers can do in only a year but even then, look at the graphics in the 4k images and they aren't that bad.

But again I get the disappointment in people who expected something different art-style wise based on the CG trailer.

Also a lot of Pillars fans don't seem to mind, also I sorta expected it based on the description of Living Lands being a weird and vibrant place.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 June 2023

I don't want to use my Starfield controller until Starfield is out. 🥲

gtotheunit91 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, I'm honestly more bothered by the Avowed art style change than Fable. I don't really mind a game like Fable looking less cartoony, it's not like they are going for full photo-realism or something, it's just that the character models are less exaggerated in terms of their proportions, which is perfectly fine with me. And they definitely nailed the tone of the original games in terms of humor, I'm really not sure why I'm seeing so many people saying that the tone is off.

The Avowed art change hurts a bit more as I was expecting them to try and make the actual game looked like that short clip of pre-rendered simulated gameplay at the end of the reveal trailer, especially after I heard that they had moved to Unreal 5. It doesn't really look bad, it just doesn't look great either. 

I'm not bothered by the Avowed art style change, although it's hard to even claim that since all we had prior to Sunday was a CGI trailer, which means practically nothing as to how the game will look. 

But it does very much look like Pillars of Eternity in first-person. PoE had very vibrant colors and Avowed seems to be owning that. In an interview on Sunday, Feargus said that Avowed did start out as Obsidian's take on Skyrim, but realized that's not where Obsidian's strengths lie. So that may have been part of the rumored reboot and why the game doesn't look like what it did from that initial CGI trailer.

But also, the game isn't releasing at least within the next 6 months. So it could be another year of development or nearly a year and a half. I think Avowed will still look very good at release as graphical polish is usually one of the final steps of development.

Yeah, I don't really mind it being colorful, that isn't an issue for me at all. It's more down to things like some of the enemy designs looking more cartoony than realistic, like the spider, the lizard people, the ogres, the zombies and skeletons, things like that all have a more cartoony look than a realistic look to my eyes. It kind of feels more like Borderlands/Wonderlands in terms of enemy design than the more Skyrim like aesthetic I was hoping for, if that makes sense. I get that they were precisely aiming for that though, they didn't want to be seen as just copying Skyrim, so they went a totally different direction in terms of art design in order to differentiate Avowed from Elder Scrolls. The only thing is, that CG reveal teaser seemed to indicate that they did want it to pretty much look like Skyrim with modern graphics, which is why a good many people found it odd that the game itself looked so different from the teaser reveal.

On top of that, the actual technical graphical prowess on display feels somewhat low, I mean Fable running on ForzaTech vs Avowed running on Unreal Engine 5 almost looks like there is a whole console generation between them, and even Starfield looks a good deal better in terms of graphics, which is saying something because Bethesda Game Studios also isn't known for high-end graphics relative to other AAA games that released the same year on their past games. I get that Obsidian has never really aimed for high end AAA visuals, but I think many people were hoping they would do so starting with Avowed since they were calling it AAA and had a big Microsoft budget to work with, and 2 Unreal Engine master studios in The Coalition and Ninja Theory who could help them to achieve loftier graphical goals in Unreal Engine than they had in the past.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 June 2023

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

I don't want to use my Starfield controller until Starfield is out. 🥲

I may not either lol. I'm playing my Switch to 100% games like Metroid Prime Remastered and Advance Wars 1+2 and Diablo IV but on MnK till Ratchet & Clank releases on PC, which I'm getting a Dualsense controller for anyway. I'll play Halo as well in the meantime but also on MnK.

Ryuu96 said:

Why not The Outer Worlds 2 in 2026 and Clockwork Revolution in 2027 then. That hurts to say though, because Clockwork Revolution looks amazing, Lol. Of course there is no reason why they can't do 2 WRPGs in a year, it's just fun to think they could have one every year They could fill it with a JRPG 👀

The Elder Scrolls as a 'launch' title for Next Xbox sounds perfect to me, a year before the gen would be a waste but imagine the next Xbox having an Elder Scrolls as a launch exclusive (or near enough), it would actually give Microsoft a fighting chance against Sony to take a real lead at the start of the generation.

I think Elder Scrolls VI will be 3 years minimum after Starfield, 4-5 years way more likely. Bethesda Game Studios isn't large enough and Todd Howard likes directing everything so he can't put full focus on Elder Scrolls until Starfield is out of the way and remember, Starfield will also have likely two large expansions at minimum which diverts staff before they can fully move over to Elder Scrolls.

Xbox saying they have no interest in a Xbox Pro makes me curious, if PlayStation does a Pro but Xbox doesn't, is Xbox going to try to launch next gen before PlayStation? Could we see another X360 scenario where Xbox launches a year before PlayStation? Xbox launches next gen in Holiday 2027 and Elder Scrolls VI launches Early 2028.

With the way how similar both Playstation and Xbox are in terms of hardware this and previous gen and how quick technology is improving these days, I don't see Microsoft doing a 360 scenario again. Because it would mean they will be releasing a noticeably worse and outdated console to have an unclear advantage of 1 year head start on the market. 

Ryuu96 said:

-Another Crab's Treasure
-Little Kitty Big City
-Techtonica
-Sea of Stars
-Harold Halibut
-Galacticare
-Neon White
-Mineko's Night Market
-The Book Walker
-The Wandering Village

Finally, Neon White. Wanted to play it for a long time.

Machiavellian said:

I remember when I was in Japan but this was a while ago during the 360 era. MS actually had a decent presences in Japan's bigger stores from what I remember but compared to Nintendo it wasn't even close and Sony was even a distant 2nd compared to Nintendo at the time. I am sure nothing has improved for MS in Japan but it would be nice to visit again to see if MS even have shelf space. Interesting enough, MS did have some games from Japan devs that did not make it to the West which is a surprise that a few took the risk on the platform without the support of western customers.

From what I understand, the big issue for Microsoft in Japanese stores is that they have nothing to put on the shelves. There are no physical releases for Xbox games in Japan except for a very small amount of games. The best case scenario is that 2-3 of all Xbox games releasing each year are getting physical releases there. And I think there were years during Xbox One gen with no physical releases at all.

I wonder what the next Developer Direct will be.

January

• Towerborne
  • Hellblade II
  • Avowed

Lets see if they reveal anything else later in the year for 2024.

Ryuu96 said:

January

• Towerborne
  • Hellblade II
  • Avowed

I personally hope for a FanFest towards the end of this year.

October 2024 Articles:

Star Wars Outlaws (XS) Review -- 4/10 |

coolbeans said:
Ryuu96 said:

January

• Towerborne
  • Hellblade II
  • Avowed

I personally hope for a FanFest towards the end of this year.

I'll be looking forward to your Starfield VGC review!