By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
gtotheunit91 said:

Pricks. Dickheads. C*nts. Etc.

Anyone who lives in Britain wants Stalker 2 I'll buy it you day one.

Around the Network

Btw I saw that earlier and yeah it's a bad leak from what I read, tons of files decrypted and available on the internet.

Such fucking assholes.

The article also briefly mentions that Zenimax has a reputation of having shit pay (lower than average salaries) and it is harder for Arkane Austin to hire because they don't offer remote work, and since Redfall wasn't announced, they couldn't describe it to job applicants, they wanted to hire for multiplayer but kept getting people applying who wanted to work on immersive sims - Hence why studios announce their games early, so applicants actually know what they're applying for.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 01 June 2023

Been saying this for years but I wouldn't say that was the main issue because they did that shit with Doom too and many other titles.

The stupidity of calling it Prey whilst having absolutely nothing to do with Prey just annoyed Prey IP fans and did nothing to increase its commercial attractiveness because outside of the Prey fans who were now annoyed, nobody knew what the fuck Prey was, Lmao.

And Bethesda barely marketed it to begin with.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Been saying this for years but I wouldn't say that was the main issue because they did that shit with Doom too and many other titles.

The stupidity of calling it Prey whilst having absolutely nothing to do with Prey just annoyed Prey IP fans and did nothing to increase its commercial attractiveness because outside of the Prey fans who were now annoyed, nobody knew what the fuck Prey was, Lmao.

And Bethesda barely marketed it to begin with.

I've come to realize that if the name Bethesda isn't in the studios name, then Bethesda's PR/Marketing is going to be shit

gtotheunit91 said:

Lol.

Would be fucking hilarious if Microsoft just closes the deal anyway.

I really don't know how they would given everything I've read and it seems like Microsoft doesn't know...yet.

Probably hired all those lawyers to find a little gap in the law.

Be hilarious if they just eat the fines.

First they'll have to fight CMA's "you can't acquire any shares in Activision"

If this ain't bluster from Microsoft then I reckon UK Gov will start being very nervous about CMA's handling of things, Lol.

This is Microsoft choosing the nuclear option.

CMA might sue Microsoft but it sounds like Microsoft is going to sue them right back.

Where does this 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' angle come from?

It'd be one thing if they felt like they had no choice but to release the game out of pressure. But they didn't just stop there. They also made it the centre of their first developer showcase for the year; made it the only AAA exclusive for the first half of the year, the first since Halo Infinite; and even chose it as the first game they'd price at $70. How can you put this much backing behind a project without knowing the disastrous state it's in, and expect to not be blamed when you're the parent company?

I'm all for them taking a hands-off approach when it comes to letting the developers and studios have full creative freedom, but to not have accurate and up-to-date information on those projects and what you're planning to put out to market, just makes them look negligent.

Phil can try his hardest to clean up this PR disaster, but his job will continue to be impossible if he doesn't make sure he's getting the right information when he needs it, rather than after the damage is done.

Angelus said:
Machiavellian said:

Actually MS decision to do nothing is a decision and how the game failed also helps in the long run.  Think about it this way, if MS came in and started to lord everyone around, people would be leaving left and right and probably would not be something MS want spread around if they are looking to obtain more studios.  Now with the failure of Redfall, MS can easily do oversight within Bethesda and there can be no real complaint.  This allows MS a better chance to be more hands on without looking like this was their plan all along.  Also if we kind of think about Starfield and how Phil got personal with that game and held it back, its clear that Phil understood the importance of Starfield and how it needed to hit hard when release.  It could be that Starfield took so much resources that no one really thought that Redfall needed any help and the studios heads probably never reached out.  Of course that will probably not happen again because I am sure Phil has let Bethesda and all their studio heads know that being first party means things have to change within the company and their approach to games.

Schreier literally reported the devs there were HOPING that MS would come in and make changes, so we can't say that people would be leaving left and right if MS had done exactly what various people on the team were apparently WANTING. And I'm really not down with the idea of letting a studio fail so they can then be more accepting of oversight. That's just a downright horrible leadership philosophy. 

If they were hoping that does not mean they actually communicated this need.  This is the problem I see a lot.  People hoping for something to happen but keeping their mouth shut and expecting things to just change.  Also another issue is that we are only getting tidbits of information and usually one sided.  This always leads to opinions made on incomplete information.  We have really no clue all the details which is the issue.  Basing an opinion on just one report not knowing the full scope leads to jumping to a lot of conclusions.  The only real thing we know is that Redfall was a project with a lot of problems where communication broke down in a number of areas.  Blame is the first thing everyone wants to jump to do but I have seen working under such conditions that its way more complicated.