By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Account keeps getting locked everytime my kid uses the Series X. How to fix?

Every time my youngest wants to play on Series X and signs in to his MS account on the Series X we just get a message something is wrong with the account, fix it on the web. There is says the account has been locked due to suspicious activity and has to be unlocked again. We unlock it and then he can play.

This is becoming really really tedious and annoying. I can't get any answers from Microsoft why this keeps happening. Has anyone experienced the same and maybe know how to get out of this mess?

Maybe make a new account for XBox? Can you still use a non MS account to play on XBox?

Around the Network

Nope, never. Do you know what kind of suspicious activity? Have you tried changing the password? Has your kid ever responded to spam messages on Xbox live or join groups invites that he shouldn't?

smroadkill15 said:

Nope, never. Do you know what kind of suspicious activity? Have you tried changing the password? Has your kid ever responded to spam messages on Xbox live or join groups invites that he shouldn't?

No, but he has a simple easy to remember password. Which is fine since there's nothing valuable on his MS account anyway. The only MS store purchase I made for him was Minecraft which I put on a different MS account with secure password etc. He's on Steam for all other games. (Luckily the Minecraft launcher understands the need and automatically uses the secure account with saved password. It does complain the accounts don't match, can't make any MTX purchases, oh well lol)

The account is only there because MS requires it. Yet now it gets locked every time he turns on the XBox :/

The suspicious activity seems to just be turning the XBox on lol. That's all the information I can find out from the web portal. I don't understand why. I have my email entered for verification, and indeed when I want to look at the activity on his account it sends a code to my email to access that information. Yet turn on the XBox, boom locked, enter a phone number (any phone number) to get an unlock code. How is that even safe? Why won't it use my email for confirmation...

XBox support was overwhelmed today, wouldn't let me speak/chat with anyone, just sending me in circles with the virtual assistant. I'll try again next time it happens, which will probably be tomorrow ugh.

SvennoJ said:
smroadkill15 said:

No, but he has a simple easy to remember password. Which is fine since there's nothing valuable on his MS account anyway. The only MS store purchase I made for him was Minecraft which I put on a different MS account with secure password etc. He's on Steam for all other games. (Luckily the Minecraft launcher understands the need and automatically uses the secure account with saved password. It does complain the accounts don't match, can't make any MTX purchases, oh well lol)

The account is only there because MS requires it. Yet now it gets locked every time he turns on the XBox :/

The suspicious activity seems to just be turning the XBox on lol. That's all the information I can find out from the web portal. I don't understand why. I have my email entered for verification, and indeed when I want to look at the activity on his account it sends a code to my email to access that information. Yet turn on the XBox, boom locked, enter a phone number (any phone number) to get an unlock code. How is that even safe? Why won't it use my email for confirmation...

XBox support was overwhelmed today, wouldn't let me speak/chat with anyone, just sending me in circles with the virtual assistant. I'll try again next time it happens, which will probably be tomorrow ugh.

That seem frustrating. It might be worth changing the password to see if that helps. It could have something to do with the Minecraft login with a separate account. I'm not sure why it would though. Otherwise call Xbox support again and see what they can do. 

Try registering the xbox on his Microsoft account if you haven't. Might help.

I don't really have any more advice. My bro living in another state will log into mine regularly as his xbox is my "home" xbox so he has access to everything I buy and my ultimate sub but both xbox are registered on my account.

You've probably contacted support already but if you haven't, would be my next piece of advice.

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
SvennoJ said:

That seem frustrating. It might be worth changing the password to see if that helps. It could have something to do with the Minecraft login with a separate account. I'm not sure why it would though. Otherwise call Xbox support again and see what they can do. 

I'll try a different password, who knows. The Xbox knows nothing of the Minecraft account so doubt it can be it. His account was a child account originally, maybe that's what keeps triggering these issues. I've been on support chat many times with his account, so many issues when he got a new win 11 laptop and we finally had to change his year of birth to get it to work. Which was a lot of trouble as well. It's a full adult account now (my birth date) but maybe the Xbox still remembers otherwise, even though I deleted and re-added the account. Just frustrating.

I had a similar problem with my X360, every time I launched the console it asked me for my password, then said it was wrong and needed to change it