By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3's power locked away, says Free Radical

DarkNight_DS said:
Who cares about system power! Show me the games! Show me the games! Should I shout it from the rooftops? I'm still confused why there aren't more games on the PS3 yet. The system got delayed 6-7 months which should have meant that developers had plenty of time to get their games made for the PS3's launch and yet all we hear about is delays and once exclusives going multi platform. This Power talk is all smoke and mirrors. I want games :)

Come on.  Look at the 20 games you want for a PS3 thread.  Those are the games!  OKAY?!  OKAY?!  How many times must we shout it!?

The PS3 has as many great games out as the Wii, if not more if you include multi-platform releases only on the 360 and Wii.

I listen to 1up podcasts and all the time it's mentioned that the Wii owners are waiting for graet games to be released.  Meanwhile, the 3 best games, Warioware, Zelda, and Paper Mario were gamecube games.

If you compare to the 360, yes, it has a head start, but many of the best games are being ported to the PS3 while a ton of exlusives are coming (just like every platform).

Stop with the "where are the games?" question unless you apply it to the Wii as well, where it's even more applicable.  Even then, both have great games to play. 

Around the Network

@windbane

Perhaps if the thread dealt with the Wii in some way darknight would have mentioned its sales drought also.  It could be that because this is a PS3 thread he only mentioned the PS3, I don't know.  Like the locked away power schtick I'm not sure why anyone should be complaining about either system in that regard, every system has a post launch drought. 

Sony fans are just latching on to any game comming out for the PS3 that isn't cross platform or is given more than a one page article in any magazine, most of these games aren't even comming out for another two years which is kind of a sad display of the total number of worthwhile games that will be worth playing on the PS3 if this is their production rate. And so far the system sellers Resistance, Motorstorm and Virtua Fighter 5 have been anything but that. MGS4 and FFXIII are the only games that will sell PS3, and by then it will be too little too late.

Gballzack said:
Sony fans are just latching on to any game comming out for the PS3 that isn't cross platform or is given more than a one page article in any magazine, most of these games aren't even comming out for another two years which is kind of a sad display of the total number of worthwhile games that will be worth playing on the PS3 if this is their production rate. And so far the system sellers Resistance, Motorstorm and Virtua Fighter 5 have been anything but that. MGS4 and FFXIII are the only games that will sell PS3, and by then it will be too little too late.

Just look at the 20 games thread.  There are plenty high sellers coming.  Get off the hate train. 

albionus said:

@windbane

Perhaps if the thread dealt with the Wii in some way darknight would have mentioned its sales drought also. It could be that because this is a PS3 thread he only mentioned the PS3, I don't know. Like the locked away power schtick I'm not sure why anyone should be complaining about either system in that regard, every system has a post launch drought.

I agree, and every week there is a nice update or a nice downloadable game, such as Calling All Cars. 

Around the Network
windbane said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Who cares about system power! Show me the games! Show me the games! Should I shout it from the rooftops? I'm still confused why there aren't more games on the PS3 yet. The system got delayed 6-7 months which should have meant that developers had plenty of time to get their games made for the PS3's launch and yet all we hear about is delays and once exclusives going multi platform. This Power talk is all smoke and mirrors. I want games :)

Come on. Look at the 20 games you want for a PS3 thread. Those are the games! OKAY?! OKAY?! How many times must we shout it!?

The PS3 has as many great games out as the Wii, if not more if you include multi-platform releases only on the 360 and Wii.

I listen to 1up podcasts and all the time it's mentioned that the Wii owners are waiting for graet games to be released. Meanwhile, the 3 best games, Warioware, Zelda, and Paper Mario were gamecube games.

If you compare to the 360, yes, it has a head start, but many of the best games are being ported to the PS3 while a ton of exlusives are coming (just like every platform).

Stop with the "where are the games?" question unless you apply it to the Wii as well, where it's even more applicable. Even then, both have great games to play.

Actually, this isn't entirely true. The PS3 really is seeing a lack of exclusive games: this wasn't true at first, but has become a growing issue, presumably for multiple reasons, all of which are outside the scope of this post.

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=6876

As you can see here, the PS3 now has less than half the total exclusive titles as the Xbox360, and a bit more than half as many as the Wii. The alarming thing is that this is a change -- if you look at the total exclusives 6 months ago when the systems were released, the Wii had 53 exclusives and the PS3 46 (please do note that this title includes both released and unreleased titles). They were very close in exclusives at the time: since then, the Wii has been gaining 3-4 exclusives every month, and the PS3 has actually lost more exclusive titles than it has gained.

However, there are still some key titles coming to the PS3, MGS4 and FF XIII chief amongst them. But you mentioned only quantity, and in that department, PS3 is significantly lagging behind either of the other systems, and the gap is widening.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

windbane said:
Gballzack said:

Just look at the 20 games thread.  There are plenty high sellers coming.  Get off the hate train. 

The 20 games thread are mostly just games Sony fans want to be good and have no way of knowing whether they will be or not. You're just latching onto anything unique comming out for the PS3.

And if the Ps3 needs good games to sell then how the hell is it going to compete with a console like the Wii who is selling like hotcakes without a single worthwhile exclusive to its name yet?

Gballzack said:

The 20 games thread are mostly just games Sony fans want to be good and have no way of knowing whether they will be or not. You're just latching onto anything unique comming out for the PS3.

And if the Ps3 needs good games to sell then how the hell is it going to compete with a console like the Wii who is selling like hotcakes without a single worthwhile exclusive to its name yet?

lol

look at the devs of those games, majority of them are pretty much guaranteed great.  And they happen to be praised quite extensivly by the sites.

You are right the wii has no worthwile game yet, wii is selling on nothing but hype.  And when hype dies the console dies.

Blue3 said:
Gballzack said:

lol

look at the devs of those games, majority of them are pretty much guaranteed great. And they happen to be praised quite extensivly by the sites.

You are right the wii has no worthwile game yet, wii is selling on nothing but hype. And when hype dies the console dies.

So the hype dies in 2012? Wow.

Who knows it might stammer on through to 2013 or 14 depending on what's out at the time.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

windbane said:

I love how you know exactly how much developers will use the PS3 in their upcoming games. And more in response to your comment at the top of this page: developers like the challenge and once they have overcome a challenge they won't have to keep overcoming it.

Exactly that's the question. What many people don't realize the tricks of the Cell are not new, but more or less ancient by computer standards. It has to do with a time, when transputers were seen as a big chance. After the problems behind this concepts were found (Amdahls Law)the whole computer industry changed directions.

Now more and more people realize that this change was far more drastic than necessary. The Cell was especially designed for situations, where it will not run into trouble. But if I look at how the Cell should be used for games I see more or less the pitfalls, that the cell itself wanted to avoid.

I don't have doubts that developers will use the SPEs, but I have severe doubts if they unlock the power! It is not the first time that these walls were tested. Developers have the tendency to overestimate their own abilities. Some think they are a genius, after they found a solution that several hundred other people have already solved, too.

I don't really think that the developers today are really better, instead the methods that we use were in fact developed by other developers. In a way we stand on their shoulders. There are ways to use some of their power, especially with the help of libraries, but they will only be able to extract a fraction of their power. The real way to use their power would need a development process that is simply to expensive and it offers no real protection against race conditions. If you don't work very careful you find yourself in the hell that development for parallel systems can mean.

In a way parts of these dangers are even inherent in multi cores, but due to the fact that there are only small changes from a unified program on a single core, it is easier to control and debug them.

What you don't really understand is that there is not a basic problem and if you avoid it on one place you are free to use the whole power. This is simply not the case. Multi cores are no longer seen as a very big problem, but in fact even for them several restrictions apply. If you are able to get from a triple core the power of two cores you are pretty good! In fact there are many problems that would not allow such a speed up.

In the same manner you won't find one lock and if you solve it you have the whole power. Instead you will find a way to get around one problem and get perhaps 10% and another might give you 2%, but then you find a third problem. There might be a way to solve it but it would mean that the solution for the first problem will no longer work, instead you have to rewrite the firsst solution and get 7% and the solution for the third problem gives you 4%.

This description has more to do with reality, than your idea!

And the believe developers like to solve problems, in a way yes, but you have to find a way to really improve the situation. While developers like to solve problems they don't like it when their boss comes every 5 minutes to ask if you are ready, because they are all waiting for you!

You are forgetting that the development is no game. You are paid to get results! If the complicate architecture means that you get less results in the same time there is a problem. Either your boss has to be ready to pay more, because you have to work longer on the same problem, or you are ready to be paid less, or you decide that this problem is not worth your time!