By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

S.Peelman said:

Stupid Morocco. Why. How can Portugal win 6-1 against Switzerland but then just not score against Morocco. Why does everyone suddenly choke on Morocco, they're not that good. I don't really care for Portugal either, or Spain before them, but I didn't want Morocco to get anywhere, because their fans don't deserve it. A lot of them don't anyway.

Its not a choke, Morroco is playing really well defensively, its always 80-70% pos for the opposing team. They are playing on counter and they are doing it clean. The gameplay remember me a lot of danemark (except they arent doing as well on counter), a big wall, but its really boring to watch. 

Around the Network

Hope Morocco takes it home to an already weaken France. Go Morroco, France already won in 2018 don't be selfish France is nice. ^_^

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 10 December 2022

S.Peelman said:

I agree it's picking between a-holes.

Like I said I don't care for Portugal or Spain either, but at the moment I hate Moroccan fans more than I hate Ronaldo and Pepe.

Unless there are some big assholes on the team, or they play dirty, I wouldn't wish misfortune on a team based on how their fans behave.
Especially when they are fun to watch. If Argentina can't win it, then I'll hope for Morocco to win it instead.

Last edited by Hiku - on 10 December 2022

Hiku said:
S.Peelman said:

I agree it's picking between a-holes.

Like I said I don't care for Portugal or Spain either, but at the moment I hate Moroccan fans more than I hate Ronaldo and Pepe.

Unless there are some big assholes on the team, or they play dirty, I wouldn't wish misfortune on a team based on how their fans behave.
Especially when they are fun to watch. If Argentina can't win it, then I'll hope for Morocco to win it instead.

They aren't that fun to watch but they're fun to root for which makes the games interesting. Croatia on the other hand aren't fun to watch or root for; it'd be a crying shame if they got back to the final.

I didn't like the way Brazil over-celebrated against the much lesser soccer nation Korea, but it's a massive loss not having them in the semi-final.

Wow, Morocco knocked out Spain and now Portugal (plus Belgium in the group stage), incredible. Really hope they get to the final now after that. I still want Messi to win the World Cup of course, but if he can't then it would be pretty awesome to see Morocco win it. Seems ridiculous that they're the first African team to ever get to the semis considering how many fantastic African players there have been over the years. Hopefully they'll just be the first of many more to come!

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Wow, Morocco knocked out Spain and now Portugal (plus Belgium in the group stage), incredible. Really hope they get to the final now after that. I still want Messi to win the World Cup of course, but if he can't then it would be pretty awesome to see Morocco win it. Seems ridiculous that they're the first African team to ever get to the semis considering how many fantastic African players there have been over the years. Hopefully they'll just be the first of many more to come!

One key difference from this Morocco team to the great African teams of the past: resilience. As great as some of those teams were... 2000's era Ivory Coast, 2010 Ghana, present day Senegal... those teams conceded goals, they didn't know how to see a game out. They got carried away by the prospect of winning, it almost felt like it was too much for them. Morocco on the other hand, they look like they've been in World Cup semi-finals a dozen times, just where they got that mentality from I have no clue, but it's amazing.

Personally I completely wrote them off before the tournament started, I didn't know a single Moroccan player so I thought they'd be dead in the water. Then I started watching them and was surprised to find out I do know some of them, they've got some decently big names in there. But the way they play, I feel like they'd be doing just as well if they were all no-names too. I was very much in the thinking that Senegal was the only African team with a chance to do something at this world cup, enter these guys beating Belgium, Spain and Portugal. 1 conceded in 5 matches and it was an own goal. Absolutely rooting for them to get to a final, but not gonna lie, if it does come to Argentina vs. Morocco, I am scared of them.

mZuzek said:
Ka-pi96 said:

One key difference from this Morocco team to the great African teams of the past: resilience. As great as some of those teams were... 2000's era Ivory Coast, 2010 Ghana, present day Senegal... those teams conceded goals, they didn't know how to see a game out. They got carried away by the prospect of winning, it almost felt like it was too much for them. Morocco on the other hand, they look like they've been in World Cup semi-finals a dozen times, just where they got that mentality from I have no clue, but it's amazing.

Personally I completely wrote them off before the tournament started, I didn't know a single Moroccan player so I thought they'd be dead in the water. Then I started watching them and was surprised to find out I do know some of them, they've got some decently big names in there. But the way they play, I feel like they'd be doing just as well if they were all no-names too. I was very much in the thinking that Senegal was the only African team with a chance to do something at this world cup, enter these guys beating Belgium, Spain and Portugal. 1 conceded in 5 matches and it was an own goal. Absolutely rooting for them to get to a final, but not gonna lie, if it does come to Argentina vs. Morocco, I am scared of them.

Most people were writing them off. A lot were hyping up Canada from that group too. I remember discussing that pre-tournament and saying Morocco were a better team than Canada with more big name players playing at the top level in Europe. They've proven me right, definitely better than Canada.

I did think they'd only get 3rd in the group though, I expected both Belgium and Croatia to do better (I know Croatia are in the semis too but they haven't been particularly impressive, only 1 actual win vs Canada).

Very entertaining and exciting quarter-finals, first 90mins of Brazil - Croatia excluded.

Happy for Croatia. A small nation with such footballing talent and fighting spirit, impressive. Brazil had a good team but their arrogance backfired big time. Maybe practise penalties next time instead of dumb celebrations and dancing?

I'm gutted Netherlands lost. Especially after an epic comeback, but Argentina was the better team and played better football. 

I'm still not a fan of the style of football Morocco is playing, but their mentality is winning me over. It's like watching a war movie, man after man they go down but keep on going. Unfortunately I think their injuries will cost them against France. But they had control over Portugal even before scoring and were good going forwards, not just parking the bus.

England.. well they simply won't ever win a big game with that Spuds donkey upfront. If only he'd actually stay upfont instead of pretending to be a creative playmaker England wouldn't look like their system is handicapped. Southgate's tactics are too cowardly too imo, they have enough quality to beat France.

I've never liked the football France is playing. Yes it's efficient but I'd like to see a team of this quality to control the ball and play more attractive football. France - Morocco is an interesting one though with both teams being immune to ball possession :P

Ka-pi96 said:

They beat Belgium too? This is not lucky then Belguim was really good in past fifa so it's not luck to pull 3 upsets is not luck once something pulls 3 upsets it's no longer upsets Morocco is legit good Morocco is the best africa has. Both Asia and Africa made great plays against europeans and South America teams . Can't wait for future Fifa's how much better Asia and Africa would start to someday get few champions ^^, BTW Belgium eliminated Brazil in 2018 FIFA.

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 11 December 2022

Hiku said:

I wouldn't wish misfortune on a team based on how their fans behave.

That’s where we would be different. I would, though usually I’m not I can be a very harsh person actually when something gets on my bad side. The team’s collateral damage.