By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony, Tencent Increase Stake in FromSoftware

Best outcome would be for Sony to buy them up before Tencent does.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Depends more Sony influence might lead to some internal pushing for exclusive deals. Less risk involved for that if Tencent remains the second biggest holder of stocks.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Pemalite said:

I'd rather nobody buys them up, because everyone deserves to play their games. 

That said, if Sony bought them up I wouldn't be too chuffed. They are a lovely match if you ask me. I still think Xbox should get From's games too. PC as well. I think ideally we have basically what we have, an independent studio making games for everyone where Sony (and sadly Tencent, nobody likes Tencent) has some say and clout. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Nooooooooo! dammit! Im not gonna lie; I would rather tencent get them. How does current shares effect control of FROM? sorry dont feel like reading (just woke up)

Fromsoft is still a subsidiary of Kadokawa, it's just not wholly-owned anymore. Something similar is probably like TPC but TPC is perfectly divided by 3 company whereas Kadokawa owns majority of Fromsoft. However, what's interesting is that Nintendo owns a little bit of GameFreak and Creatures, whereas it's the opposite for Kadokawa because both Sony and Tencent owns a little bit of Kadokawa too. 

Around the Network

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was Sony’s new strategy going forward. They could leverage certain publishers IP for anime and film in an effort to cross market certain games, possibly have exclusive DLC or even jostle for an exclusive game here and there without having to purchase the whole developer and avoid the overhead cost of having another team. It would certainly be cheaper this way and as SE also confirmed they are also looking to sell stakes in their studios. So this type of investment seems to be only growing from here on out. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sony invest in some of SE’s studios next in this same manor.

The Tencent investment may throw a wrench in things if they attempt to raise their stakes further or attempt a whole buyout. Sony already lost the bidding attempt of Leyou to Tencent 2 years ago as they weren’t willing to go that high. From maybe a different story though as their relationship with Sony is a closer one than that of Leyou. Sony has also been more aggressive to invest in the 2 years since then with Crunchyroll and Bungie being in the billions so maybe they would actually attempt to counter offer any potential buyout from Tencent in the future.

This means practically nothing. OR it means From Soft is remaking Omega Boost OH YEAH!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Runa216 said:
Pemalite said:

I'd rather nobody buys them up, because everyone deserves to play their games. 

That said, if Sony bought them up I wouldn't be too chuffed. They are a lovely match if you ask me. I still think Xbox should get From's games too. PC as well. I think ideally we have basically what we have, an independent studio making games for everyone where Sony (and sadly Tencent, nobody likes Tencent) has some say and clout. 

I don't disagree. But if the option was only between those two... Sony is definitely the better option.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--