By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Speculation: Chances of MS pulling a "Elon Musk" on Activision Blizzard deal?

"simple question"... in view of the current economic chaos and likely stock market crash, do you imagine that MS can "give up" and reevaluate the purchase of Activision Blizzard?

I mean... can it still be considered a good deal? I feel like the $95 per share offer was solid "back then" but in today's market!? no way, MS paid too much!!

Pulling back doesn't feel like a bad move at all...

GoTY 2022:

Around the Network

No. Just the IP value alone is too big for MS to ignore. Especially in the long road, since this gen has been shockingly poor on exclusives for both MS and Sony thus far.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

No. Just the IP value alone is too big for MS to ignore. Especially in the long road, since this gen has been shockingly poor on exclusives for both MS and Sony thus far.

What makes you think Sony has had a poor showing for exclusives? 

But I agree that the IP is too valuable for MS to not go through with the deal.

twintail said:
Darwinianevolution said:

It's a mix of things. There's a lot of brand exclusives (exclusives to PS, but released for both PS4-5, so no exclusives), remakes games already on PS4 (which, PS5 being BC, are kinda moot) and a general slowing on the game development, to the point I fear we'll see many delays. The exclusive list will pick up eventually, but either 2023 or 2024. This affects XBox as well, but I'm not that up to date with their lineup.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

if I had to guess, the only way that Microsoft would back out is if the anti trust regulations are enforced against them. If not, I don't see this deal falling through. Generally speaking, companies don't make deal unless they are sure they can afford it in the best of times and worst of times. Unlike Mr. Musk. I also would not exactly say that there is an impeding stock market crash either, especially not by the time this deal goes through in 2023

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
twintail said:

It's a mix of things. There's a lot of brand exclusives (exclusives to PS, but released for both PS4-5, so no exclusives), remakes games already on PS4 (which, PS5 being BC, are kinda moot) and a general slowing on the game development, to the point I fear we'll see many delays. The exclusive list will pick up eventually, but either 2023 or 2024. This affects XBox as well, but I'm not that up to date with their lineup.

Well I suppose if we're talking PS5 only titles then sure this list is also thin, but new PS exclusives are still on PS5. In that sense, I think Sony has actually gotten quite a bit of stuff out. I also think remakes can't be excluded - if they provide a new experience it wouldn't matter if they existed on PS4 or not. 

But I understand the general sentiment you have.

I don't know.. anyone from Microsoft flashing their dick at Activision seems like a bad idea all things considered.

After inflation that $95 price is really only worth around 87$ when it closes. It really shouldn't take too much time to for Microsoft to recoup a return on investment and the cash they are holding is wasting away to inflation.

We all knew Activision was going down the toilet. Its garanty that MS also knew this as well. Unlike twitter wich they where hiding the real user engagement.

But I really think MS always knew they where in to fix the dissater boby cotik made. So they expected the price to crash as the deal got closer. Im sure they think the price is worth it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

It's possible, considering the bid price is $95 and ATVI is only trading at $75 right now, meaning people dont think it will close.

Although I think it's not likely since Microsoft seems pretty all-in in this deal and backing out will lose face which I dont see happening.