By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Speculation: Chances of MS pulling a "Elon Musk" on Activision Blizzard deal?

"simple question"... in view of the current economic chaos and likely stock market crash, do you imagine that MS can "give up" and reevaluate the purchase of Activision Blizzard?

I mean... can it still be considered a good deal? I feel like the $95 per share offer was solid "back then" but in today's market!? no way, MS paid too much!!

Pulling back doesn't feel like a bad move at all...

Around the Network

No. Just the IP value alone is too big for MS to ignore. Especially in the long road, since this gen has been shockingly poor on exclusives for both MS and Sony thus far.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

twintail said:
Darwinianevolution said:

No. Just the IP value alone is too big for MS to ignore. Especially in the long road, since this gen has been shockingly poor on exclusives for both MS and Sony thus far.

What makes you think Sony has had a poor showing for exclusives? 

But I agree that the IP is too valuable for MS to not go through with the deal.

It's a mix of things. There's a lot of brand exclusives (exclusives to PS, but released for both PS4-5, so no exclusives), remakes games already on PS4 (which, PS5 being BC, are kinda moot) and a general slowing on the game development, to the point I fear we'll see many delays. The exclusive list will pick up eventually, but either 2023 or 2024. This affects XBox as well, but I'm not that up to date with their lineup.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I don't know.. anyone from Microsoft flashing their dick at Activision seems like a bad idea all things considered.

After inflation that $95 price is really only worth around 87$ when it closes. It really shouldn't take too much time to for Microsoft to recoup a return on investment and the cash they are holding is wasting away to inflation.

Around the Network

We all knew Activision was going down the toilet. Its garanty that MS also knew this as well. Unlike twitter wich they where hiding the real user engagement.

But I really think MS always knew they where in to fix the dissater boby cotik made. So they expected the price to crash as the deal got closer. Im sure they think the price is worth it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

It's possible, considering the bid price is $95 and ATVI is only trading at $75 right now, meaning people dont think it will close.

Although I think it's not likely since Microsoft seems pretty all-in in this deal and backing out will lose face which I dont see happening. 

I think MS don't care and will pay for it anyway, when they bought it, they purchased it for 50% on the value, which was like 65 at the time. Some shareholders have more than doubled their money from a few years ago as Activision's shares went massively up over that time, probably more value than it's actually worth. If MS didn't buy it the share would probably be at like 55 or lower by now.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

I think MS don't care and will pay for it anyway, when they bought it, they purchased it for 50% on the value, which was like 65 at the time. Some shareholders have more than doubled their money from a few years ago as Activision's shares went massively up over that time, probably more value than it's actually worth. If MS didn't buy it the share would probably be at like 55 or lower by now.

I agree, share would be at 50, perhaps even lower. Stocks are melting ATM, and things are going to get even worse in the near future.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to take the largest western AAA publisher in house, It will move them from being a revenue underdog in the games industry to being neck and neck with Sony overnight, it will make them the largest video games employer in North America by far, and it massively strengthens their mobile games position.

I can’t think of a single good reason for them to back out. Microsoft nearly made back the purchase price of the deal in one financial quarter, the state of the general economy is irrelevant.