By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Conservative party ousted and Labor Party elected in Australia

The country's right-leaning Coalition government of 9 years faced a wipeout this weekend, losing power amidst a swing towards independent minor parties, with the more progressive Labor Party ultimately taking power.

After a wild ride, Labor wins historic 2022 federal election | Australia news | The Guardian

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 May 2022

Around the Network

How is Labour progressive? They are both useless as tits on a bull. Wish more independent parties got in.

Cobretti2 said:

How is Labour progressive? They are both useless as tits on a bull. Wish more independent parties got in.

Progressive relative to the Coalition, that is. The more progressive of the "Big Two".

Given the way parliamentary democracy operates, this election was a big win for independents, they got 9 seats so far including flipping multiple "safe" Labor and Liberal seats.

curl-6 said:
Cobretti2 said:

Progressive relative to the Coalition, that is. The more progressive of the "Big Two".

Given the way parliamentary democracy operates, this election was a big win for independents, they got 9 seats so far including flipping multiple "safe" Labor and Liberal seats.

I was hoping both parties would have lost votes. Get them down to say 55-60 seats each rest independent. Clear house of career politicians that been there too long and done nothing on both sides. 

How fricken cool would it have been if there was 30 independents. Might have set a rocket up the major party arses to get better and accountable for their actions.

I voted labour.

The anti-corruption commission is needed. Especially considering the NSW premier and the deputy too.

I want more accountability. If found guilty they should be punished as anyone else would. Hell, perhaps harsher given their position in power.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
curl-6 said:

I was hoping both parties would have lost votes. Get them down to say 55-60 seats each rest independent. Clear house of career politicians that been there too long and done nothing on both sides. 

How fricken cool would it have been if there was 30 independents. Might have set a rocket up the major party arses to get better and accountable for their actions.

Both sides did lose votes; even Labor got a lower primary vote than 2019, where they lost. The Coalition just got hit way, way harder.

Even though they managed to win in the end, I think even Labor have gotten a wake up call; they lost the safe seat of Fowler for instance to an Independent. Hopefully, both parties take this as a sign to do better.

curl-6 said:
Cobretti2 said:

Both sides did lose votes; even Labor got a lower primary vote than 2019, where they lost. The Coalition just got hit way, way harder.

Even though they managed to win in the end, I think even Labor have gotten a wake up call; they lost the safe seat of Fowler for instance to an Independent. Hopefully, both parties take this as a sign to do better.

Yer it was down like 0.5% I think, which isn't much. Just would have been nice to cut them all down in this election as we knew a few people were gonna vote independent this time around. The way everyone talked it sounded like they could win 20-30 seats

Forgot to mention that on facebook a few conspiracy theories already floating around lol

https://www.facebook.com/damienrichardsonforthesenate/videos/372888867986273

Basically implying Labor/Liberal got more votes than they deserved as miscounting lol.

Cobretti2 said:
curl-6 said:

Yer it was down like 0.5% I think, which isn't much. Just would have been nice to cut them all down in this election as we knew a few people were gonna vote independent this time around. The way everyone talked it sounded like they could win 20-30 seats

0.5% down from a losing performance last time still isn't fantastic. They won not so much because they did amazingly in a vacuum, but because so many people still preferred them to Scomo and Coalition.

Since my last post the Independents picked up another seat, for a total of 10.

When it comes to voting intent it's important to always remember we're all in our small bubble; remember those folks who were convinced Trump would win America in 2020 because everyone they knew was voting for him, without realizing  that's because they associate with like minded people and social media magnifies vocal minorities. Within my bubble around 80% or so were voting Greens/Labor, just cos of where I live and the demographics of my friends and colleagues.

After the coalition insulted, belittled and disrespected us firefighters in 2019/2020. They deserved this ousting... That's ignoring the COVID response, floods, trillion dollars of debt, runaway inflation, stagnant wages, spending $20 million of our tax dollars to sell the Darwin port to China, $5.5 billion (world record) on Submarines we are never going to get... And more while giving the rich a $6,000 per year, forever; tax break... While us "lowly workers" only get a $1500 once-off tax break.

I think Labor will do well, we definitely need the ICAC going back 2 decades... And a Royal Commission to Murdoch who initiated a complete hate campaign against Labor, delving into absurd and blatantly incorrect assertions.

Hopefully we can get some respect for science, facts and decency going forward... And of course fairness. - I should not be paying more tax than some big 30+ billion dollar companies in this country.

Good outcome in my eyes. The complete meltdown by Sky News was just hilarious... But they are changing tact and now trying to belittle everything Labor does... Including the stock market declining with the Leadership change. (Which happens every time there is a change in leaders anyway.)

Happy we went from conservative to progressive. The Greens made big inroads and are now the 3rd largest party in the country, being the perfect counter to One Nation and Clive Palmer.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--