By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Nostalgia Just Stubbornness?

I've been around the sun enough times and watched the gaming industry change. But perhaps not everyone does so well with change, and maybe, just maybe a part of the problem is nostalgia. Or is it just stubbornness?

Sorry cowboy-allergics, there's no written version because it's a discussion video

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

It was all diminishing returns once titties stRted bouncing,

Generally speaking yes.

I don't think it is stubbornness but rather how we as a society have evolved and also because we are now adults .

When you are young you are more impressionable as you are experiencing something for the first time and those memories burnt a lasting impression.

When you are an adult and you have your own disposable income, your way of thinking changes, and time becomes precious and by that stage have played many games if something doesn't impress you straight up like it did in the past as a child you dismiss it as there is so many more options out there now to get your gaming fix.

Personally I think the age of information all though it is a great resource, rather than just enjoying things in life (games, movies, collectables, sport or whatever it may be), we over analyse everything about it and try to pick faults with it. through arguments with others online. Did we do that as a kid? not so much as our minds were innocent and were just happy to have a new game to play. Social media/smartphones has shortened our attention spans also. so if you can't get a buzz from something in the first hour you probably will think the rest of he game is crap.

As most of us here are now adults and have our own disposable income, as the old saying goes money does not buy you happiness. Does it make life easier? sure, but when things become the norm (i.e. multiple new games purchased each week) vs when you were a kid maybe one every few months as you had to save up your pocket money to buy the game the special feeling that you got from it also isn't the same as you have more of it lol.

To end my post, this is what stubbornness is. When I was a young lad and the first time I installed itunes on my PC and it killed it for some reason with a blue screen of death that required me to reinstall windows, is the day I decided to never buy an apple product or install any of their software. Now I am sure it was just a bad coincidence of why it happened, but because it happened I am now too stubborn to even entertain the idea of giving an apple product a try ever again in my life lol.

Cobretti2 said:

To end my post, this is what stubbornness is. When I was a young lad and the first time I installed itunes on my PC and it killed it for some reason with a blue screen of death that required me to reinstall windows, is the day I decided to never buy an apple product or install any of their software. Now I am sure it was just a bad coincidence of why it happened, but because it happened I am now too stubborn to even entertain the idea of giving an apple product a try ever again in my life lol.

When I got fired from Nintendo’s call center I straight up began hating every new Nintendo game (switch). So I get that. I was a die hard Nintendo fan all of my life. I could have been less arrogant with my supervisor, I could have been more considerate of my quota, I didn’t need to give away so many free Wii U’s. But it doesn’t matter, in my mind, they betrayed me lol

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

I don't think it is stubbornness but rather how we as a society have evolved and also because we are now adults .

When you are young you are more impressionable as you are experiencing something for the first time and those memories burnt a lasting impression.

When you are an adult and you have your own disposable income, your way of thinking changes, and time becomes precious and by that stage have played many games if something doesn't impress you straight up like it did in the past as a child you dismiss it as there is so many more options out there now to get your gaming fix.

Personally I think the age of information all though it is a great resource, rather than just enjoying things in life (games, movies, collectables, sport or whatever it may be), we over analyse everything about it and try to pick faults with it. through arguments with others online. Did we do that as a kid? not so much as our minds were innocent and were just happy to have a new game to play. Social media/smartphones has shortened our attention spans also. so if you can't get a buzz from something in the first hour you probably will think the rest of he game is crap.

As most of us here are now adults and have our own disposable income, as the old saying goes money does not buy you happiness. Does it make life easier? sure, but when things become the norm (i.e. multiple new games purchased each week) vs when you were a kid maybe one every few months as you had to save up your pocket money to buy the game the special feeling that you got from it also isn't the same as you have more of it lol.

This is one of the best posts I have seen around here. It describes exactly how I fell about video games nowadays. I have plenty of money, I bought the Steam Deck just for the lulz. I buy games that I barely play afterwards, but what I don't have anymore is time. Every now and then I manage to get myself 1-2 hours for playing some games. And I always try very hard to get the most out of it. So I begin to really think about what to play. And in the end I'm almost always frustrated. 

Back in the day I had to save up money for months just to get a new game. I always wanted to get a dreamcast but couldn't afford it. For the longest time in my youth, I played only on Nintendo consoles as that was that my older brother had. There was no chance in hell that I could ever afford my own console. But reading your post I realize that I still had way more fun than today and just now I begin to understand that it won't ever be that way again. Not only do I lack the time to really enjoy new games. My friends also don't share my passion for video games anymore, most have moved on to other hobbies or they just gave up all their hobbies altogether because family and work and stuff, lol.

Because of that, gaming also feels a lot more isolated and less social for me, as I never got into all that online gaming stuff. For me the best times always were with me and my buddies chilling on the sofa, playing single player games with one person playing and the others just watching and giving silly comments and stuff.

In the last months I more and more understood that those times will never come back, which makes me a little sad. But whatever, times are changing, ain't nothing you can do about it. So I just look forward to find other hobbies that I can enjoy in the future. I won't give up on gaming, but I also don't try so hard anymore to find new games that I can enjoy and follow new releases and all that. I kinda just stick to the stuff I like, playing old SNES or GBA games when I get the chance and just enjoy the little time I still have with the medium.

So I kinda mutated into a retro gamer, but I wouldn't say because of nostalgia. I know very well that there are countless great games today, I just don't have the time or the energy to get into them anymore.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

snyps said:

It was all diminishing returns once titties stRted bouncing,

Sadly, most people don't watch far enough to know what you're talking about lol

Cobretti2 said:

While I know exactly what you're talking about, it's a little off-topic from my video.  Not that I expect everyone to watch them entirely as I know many people drop off pretty early on (once they see the cowboy), but I closed on the point that this is more about people who just mock modern gaming and dismiss it based on (uninformed) opinions about what modern gaming entails.  There's a reply after yours that also touches upon it, but not having the time to invest is quite a bit different than "all games care about these days is graphics" or "games now are just filled with microtransactions".  If not having time RESULTS in saying those things, I'd feel more like we're talking about two different people that are both in the same subset of being "old" lol

OdinHades said:
Cobretti2 said:

This is one of the best posts I have seen around here. It describes exactly how I fell about video games nowadays. I have plenty of money, I bought the Steam Deck just for the lulz. I buy games that I barely play afterwards, but what I don't have anymore is time. Every now and then I manage to get myself 1-2 hours for playing some games. And I always try very hard to get the most out of it. So I begin to really think about what to play. And in the end I'm almost always frustrated. 

Back in the day I had to save up money for months just to get a new game. I always wanted to get a dreamcast but couldn't afford it. For the longest time in my youth, I played only on Nintendo consoles as that was that my older brother had. There was no chance in hell that I could ever afford my own console. But reading your post I realize that I still had way more fun than today and just now I begin to understand that it won't ever be that way again. Not only do I lack the time to really enjoy new games. My friends also don't share my passion for video games anymore, most have moved on to other hobbies or they just gave up all their hobbies altogether because family and work and stuff, lol.

Because of that, gaming also feels a lot more isolated and less social for me, as I never got into all that online gaming stuff. For me the best times always were with me and my buddies chilling on the sofa, playing single player games with one person playing and the others just watching and giving silly comments and stuff.

In the last months I more and more understood that those times will never come back, which makes me a little sad. But whatever, times are changing, ain't nothing you can do about it. So I just look forward to find other hobbies that I can enjoy in the future. I won't give up on gaming, but I also don't try so hard anymore to find new games that I can enjoy and follow new releases and all that. I kinda just stick to the stuff I like, playing old SNES or GBA games when I get the chance and just enjoy the little time I still have with the medium.

So I kinda mutated into a retro gamer, but I wouldn't say because of nostalgia. I know very well that there are countless great games today, I just don't have the time or the energy to get into them anymore.

Per above, I think the fact that you even buy or purchase newer games but just have little time to invest in them is different than the topic I'm on about.  Naturally, I know not old people are stubborn and disgruntled, negative shits lmfao...  If you just can't get into games these days, whether it's due to higher complexity or a different time investment, you're probably not running around shitting on modern gaming and I don't think either of you are anyway based on your replies.

CaptainExplosion said:

Sometimes it can be stubbornness. I long for the days of my childhood in the 90s, but I appreciate being old enough to vote, drive, and stay up later than I probably should.

I think as kids, we all have a more open sense of fun.  I talked about this before in a video, but that is actually WHY I continued to play videogames.  It's a part of my childhood I simply don't wish to give up.  Videogames are what REMIND me of being a kid lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

In a large measure, yes.

Fallout New Vegas has always been one of my favorite games. Then came Fallout 4, which I loved to death, but there was always this voice in my head going, "yeah, but New Vegas is better." It was like a part of me was resentful that something might usurp the position of a childhood favorite. So, when I was done with F4 the first time around, I went back to play NV for more of that Fallout fix I needed so badly.

The nostalgia goggles came off very quickly.

I ran through NV in no time, all the countless improvements in Fallout 4 suddenly becoming clear and all the flaws in NV standing out like never before. By the end, when I'm sitting there watching a damned slide-show finish, I realize that I will likely never play New Vegas again (at least, this version). And, also, that I had a bad itch to do some base building in another run of Fallout 4.

I came to the conclusion that it's fine to look back and say "I loved this game" but not to view the past in terms of absolutes--or to depend on my memory in order to make direct comparisons.

What a pile of trash! I know a lot of people who like Retro games, and none of them have anything against modern games.

Nostalgia is mostly the fact that in a period of any 10 years there will be a lot of much better things than there is in the last couple of months. That's the same with music, movies, books, and everything else. Is there anything good at the cinema this weekend? Probably not... Was there anything good at the cinema in the 90s? Of course.

According to a recent study I read, doing things from the past, or when you were a child, literally receives mental pain. So there appears to be an actual, chemical reason for not only why we seek it out, but why we keep doing it. It serves an important role in mental health.