By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Between the Big three (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo), who is the worst when at the top?

Looks like Sony is bringing the big guns to get out of that worst spot at the top
Game preservation, and now a free 2 hour trial for games over £34.

Must be using all the bad press nintendo is currently getting to look like a saint

Around the Network
Kneetos said:

Looks like Sony is bringing the big guns to get out of that worst spot at the top

Must be using all the bad press nintendo is currently getting to look like a saint

Sony is not on the top anymore though

What bad press Nintendo is getting? Really asking because I'm not aware

This Game preservation is the biggest bullshit I've read in this gaming universe. Games are just a mount of bits that can be stored in any disc, they absolutely don't need preservation these days where everything is digital, anyone with a copy of a game is preserving it and the server won't simply go away, they have storages, backups, distributed all around the world. What exactly needs to be preserved? lol 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Kneetos said:

What bad press Nintendo is getting

This Game preservation is the biggest bullshit I've read in this gaming universe. Games are just a mount of bits that can be stored in any disc, they absolutely don't need preservation these days where everything is digital, anyone with a copy of a game is preserving it and the server won't simply go away, they have storages, backups, distributed all around the world. What exactly needs to be preserved? lol 

The whole worker abuse to contractors and part timers in NoA.

Many people are saying they are just as bad as Activision blizzard, konami and Ubisoft. (I wouldn't go that far) 

While there are many ways to store games these days, with emulation being a grey area, and piracy akin to theft, Sony making this is a way to make it more convenient to people.

Kneetos said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

What bad press Nintendo is getting

Many people are saying they are just as bad as Activision blizzard, konami and Ubisoft. (I wouldn't go that far)

While there are many ways to store games these days, with emulation being a grey area, and piracy akin to theft, Sony making this is a way to make it more convenient to people.

Bold: people who think this can't be taken seriously. Also did I miss something about Konami or is this just about them not making new games in most of their franchises?

Kneetos said:

This is what I call an overreaction lol

It's particularly hypocritical controversy, as USA citizens don't like unions 

Emulation is not grey area, it's legal. Don't know how can any company state otherwise. It's just a piece of code, just like nobody can tell you what to do with your physical games nobody can prohibit you to use a software to run the games you bought. I agree with piracy being theft. Just don't know what anything of this has to do with preservation, the game are still stored and saved somewhere, they aren't attached to any real physical medium. People comparing this with true preservation of piece of historical art like paintings and sculpture are making me shaking my head

Games are akin to books, music and photography. Except by very older/historical books that have no copies left, there is no need for preservation, because the words can be printed and read again. Do you see anybody saying that we need to preserve Narnia's books? Or Elvis music?

I would understand if we were talking about obscure 70 to 90 games that only existed in few cartridges, just like there are very niche movies that were lost in time because there isn't film copies left, but otherwise... errr, it's just a buzzword for another way to sell older games

Around the Network

The reports are a little old now, but in 2015 kotaku reported that konami treats its devs like prisoners
Konami's managment fored kojima to leave, and then scrubbed his name from MGS5.

There is a lot going wrong with that particular company, but to avoid derailing the topic too much, I'll leave it at that.
But yes, people are saying nintendo, while being at the top with the switch is being a very bad company, and these aligations are having people take to the internet to say there should be boycots and heavy legal action taken against them

IcaroRibeiro said:
Kneetos said:

Its not as simple as bits and bytes. The large majority of games released by publishers are subjected to copyright. Which is usually for the authors life plus 70 years. They can contain material made by different artists/authors which must be granted permission to use, by law. Things like music in games etc can be owned by different companies and must be contacted and consented to use before, well using/reusing them.

Granted modern consoles are more than capable of emulation of legacy devices and games.. but thats another can of worms entirely.

Last edited by hinch - on 26 April 2022

hinch said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Its not as simple as bits and bytes. The large majority of games released by publishers are subjected to copyright. Which is usually for the authors life plus 70 years. They can contain material made by different artists/authors which must be granted permission to use, by law. Things like music in games etc can be owned by different companies and must be contacted and consented to use before, well using/reusing them.

So it has nothing to do with preservation. It's just business and companies deciding how they can profit further with their old content. 

You see, it's exactly the same thing of books and music, except you don't see music fans crying about Barbra Streisand discography disappearing in the wind. But well gamers are a different breed and have the ability to create issues over things that aren't really issues in first place

Kneetos said:

The reports are a little old now, but in 2015 kotaku reported that konami treats its devs like prisoners
Konami's managment fored kojima to leave, and then scrubbed his name from MGS5.

There is a lot going wrong with that particular company, but to avoid derailing the topic too much, I'll leave it at that.
But yes, the twitter mob is saying nintendo, while being at the top with the switch is being a very bad company, and these aligations are having people take to the internet to say there should be boycots and heavy legal action taken against them

Ftfy

Doctor_MG said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

That's why i said "selected games" from the total library. Backward compatibility of 3ds that could play all DS/DSi games as well as it's virtual console games were superior compared to vita hence it sold more.

Okay, but I started this entire conversation off stating these were downloadable titles. Yes, Vita doesn't support physical titles. Do you have any idea how big the Vita would be with the UMD drive AND a CD drive to read PS1 discs?

Also, 3DS did not initially launch with Virtual Console whereas Vita had this feature out of the gate. 

Virtual Console, sure. But all DS/DSiware games, 3ds already could play all of them since the beginning. Beside, in 2011, 3ds had Ambassador Program which included some NES/GBA games too.