By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EU Digital Markets Act antitrust rules for Big Tech

EU rules to ensure fair competition and more choice for users

The European Union is poised to adopt new antitrust rules for the biggest tech companies that could have widespread consequences for online advertising, app stores, and interoperability of messaging apps. Imagine being able to install a third-party app store on an iPhone, for example, or use Signal to send messages to your contacts who only use WhatsApp or iMessage.

While the rules would only cover the European Union, the would require the world’s largest tech companies to make significant changes that could eventually roll out to other regions… especially since Europe tends to be the global leader in regulating tech, with other countries (or individual states in the US) often following suit. For example, California’s CCPA privacy regulations were enacted several years after the EU approved the GDPR.

Source
https://liliputing.com/2022/03/lilbits-what-europes-antitrust-crackdown-on-big-tech-could-mean-for-users-around-the-globe.html 

Other links
https://www.axios.com/europe-agrees-on-big-new-package-of-tech-rules-a1a0bc8b-3ff1-48ee-93bf-56f7b7f7ef2f.html
https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20220315IPR25504/deal-on-digital-markets-act-ensuring-fair-competition-and-more-choice-for-users

---

Could affect the console's services and digital stores as well.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 26 March 2022

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

The EU is coming in hard with this shit, Apple are kinda screwed right now.

Would love to see this, on android and iphone.

I remember old android phones, you could easily install apk. from the net, downloaded from your pc, with simple drag and drops, and installing them.
Nowadays, even just getting files from pc to phone is so many extra stupid steps (or vise versa).

It won't really hit consoles that much tbh as that space is very competitive each platform already acts as an alternative to the other it's the likes of Apple and Google who are going to wake up read this and think f**k as the aren't alternatives to them right now so both companies have engaged in gatekeeping behaviour which is what the EU is targeting with this.

I could see it forcing communications between consoles such as instant messaging, voice chat or maybe just cross-play on all titles.

Best solution for this? Not provide any service like Nintendo does

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Pog move. I hope they also ban crypto

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Random_Matt said:

The EU is coming in hard with this shit, Apple are kinda screwed right now.

Screwed is a big inaccurate word.

Their hardware sales and profits continue to grow larger every year, their own services are flourishing as well. Chip shortages don't seem to affect them since they're the most desired customer and they remain top priority. 

These policies will affect companies like Nintendo and SONY more than Apple, especially if neither can make enough consoles to sell for years to come which seems to be the case. The big winner will be companies like MS since they're far ahead with their services than the competition, the stars are aligned for MS this generation and their growth will be interesting to watch.