By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon Forbidden West Review - Sony's Answer to Zelda

Tagged games:

ZyroXZ2 said:
CGI-Quality said:

-Watches thread intensely-

Had I known this would happen... lmfao

hinch said:

Nice review. Could do without the clickbait thread title - its no Zelda. Pretty much agree about the setbacks.. the horrible platforming and traversal leaves a lot to be desired. The combat too; melee is very unforgiving and janky. It does look very pretty though and the animation is top notch.

Saying that its not really doing much to pull me in. Tbf I'm not gotten that far into it.. think I put a few hours in before booting Elden Ring and I haven't looked back. That game is a breath of fresh air as far as open world games go.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Sonys " answer" to zelda? ANSWER?! i know its hard to grind your way into becaming relevante in youtube these days , i get the need to have a bait title for the video. But make one that makes sense.

Jpcc86 said:

Didnt watch the video/review because I dont agree with the use of clickbait titles as a means to garner an audience; and as such I cannot support such... vulgar practices.
However, it should be known that Sony's only answer to Zelda is "yes, please".

WHOA, y'all would pick some super busy week for me to pile on lol...  Given how this thread went, I have no doubt the one I post today will not get a single reply lmfao

I realized how many people I didn't quote, so I'll just reply in a general form:

Sony has answered many games over its years: Uncharted was their answer to Gears of War, PlayStation All-Stars their answer to Smash Bros, etc.  Much like they answered the N64 analog stick by doing TWO analog sticks, there's a history there of them trying to find a way to capture an audience playing a pillar game.

Having clarified that, I noticed people jumping to BotW, and I said "Zelda", not "BotW".  The fact that Nintendo fans gravitate towards BotW being their coup de grace in all conversations of an open world game is on them, not me.  What Sony wanted was a more action-adventure type game focused on combat and exploration.  HFW adds much more puzzles to the mix, too (relic ruins anyone?), though they PALE in comparison to Zelda's puzzles and could probably be solved by toddlers (lol), and Aloy just narrates everything which is insane.  To NOT see that Sony has tried to inject Zelda's influence into their Horizon franchise is a more defensive mindset because it is there, and it's pretty clear they want to have their own "Zelda".. They even have their own "dungeons" (cauldrons, anyone?), though also rather smaller/shorter in comparison.  And as I said, I'm absolutely cool with that, there are things HFW does better than Zelda (barring the obvious part being graphics and story-telling) despite falling short in other areas.

The fact that they've "answered" it doesn't mean they've "copied" it or "bested" it.  Console fans just love getting a little wild with their interpretations of simple words, and accuse things of being "clickbait" (which I hate).  And I should clarify since that is also another misunderstood thing: clickbait is the use of something deceptive in an effort to get a viewers attention without ever actually addressing said clickbait.  I actually mean what I said, here, there's no clickbait.  It just SEEMS that way to defensive "fans", as if people cannot compare similarities between games because "OMG ZELDA SO MUCH BETTER THOUGH HFW IS JUST GENERIC AAA GRAPHICS TRASH" narratives are so prevalent.

Just for shits and giggles, though, here's how clickbait actually works.  Costco DOES still sell the rotisserie chicken, and this ad knows it's a HOT item, so they used it in their image as clickbait, but as it turns out, ITS NOWHERE ON THE LIST BECAUSE IT'S STILL BEING SOLDTHAT is clickbait, using something to completely deceive the viewer without having literally anything to do with it.  My statement is NOT clickbait, it just feels that way to "gamers" lol... Now whether you agree or disagree with my statement is its own matter entirely, and I respect those in the thread that simply disagree.  I'm not against disagreement, but I AM against baseless accusations lmfao

Yeah I mean MC scores are supposedly important for SIE and Sony. So I don't think Horizon is even close to Sony's 'answer to Zelda'. Not even by a long shot. If you ask any hobbyist 'gamer' that.. they'd probably chuff at that remark. If you were to say lets say God of War series and revivial by SMS; who deliver much more consistently and are more of a darling child for Sony, I'd be more inclined to agree. In terms of scope, combat etc. Thus far Horizon is a solid game, and a good open world but worlds apart in terms of polish and consistency. As for the comparisons to modern Zelda. I don't get it. Like at all. They don't play like anywhere near each other and each does it own thing.

Like if you honestly believe that Horizon is akin to being Sony's Zelda, fair play. But really from all the negativity in your review. I'm not that convinced you actually believe that. Its fine, it is what it is..

Last edited by hinch - on 12 March 2022

Around the Network

That is true. I kinda wanted to elaborate more since he did put some effort in replying, though it kinda null point indeed :P Eh, lets not dwell on that and discuss the game. But yeah I said what I said initially as that remark seemed more like a throw in and has almost has no bearing on his review. I mean most of the replies here focused on that one point alone and not the actual review itself. No offense Zyro watched your vid and agreed with a lot of it...

Last edited by hinch - on 12 March 2022