By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon Forbidden West Review - Sony's Answer to Zelda

Tagged games:

sundin13 said:
JackHandy said:

I am an OG and thus, prefer old games to new games, but I thought BOTW was great. Not my favorite Zelda (again, OG) personally, but objectively great. It's also the only time I can think of where a massively popular franchise reinvented itself three different times and not only survived to tell about it, but actually grew its fanbase which is... wow.

But my one and only complaint is this: breakable weapons. Simply put, it's awful. At least in my opinion. If they patched the game, making that an option for players, it would be OOT-level-perfection. 

Huge disagree. Breakable weapons are key to the design of the game. The whole point is to have you continually switching your weapons on the fly and using what you can find around you. It simply wouldn't be the same game if you could just find one powerful sword and use it for the full game. 

No, it definitely wouldn't be the same game, you're right there. Still, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. It was literally the only complaint I had. 

Around the Network

Didnt watch the video/review because I dont agree with the use of clickbait titles as a means to garner an audience; and as such I cannot support such... vulgar practices.
However, it should be known that Sony's only answer to Zelda is "yes, please".

Yeah, it's not the same as when SEGA made the Phantasy Star series so they would have something to counter Nintendo having Final Fantasy. SEGA tried many games to have an answer for Zelda. Golden Axe Warrior. Crusader of Centry. Landstalker. Golvellius. Sonic of course was an answer for Mario. Sony has made some attempts in the past to have an answer for Nintendo series. Crash for Mario. A few Kart clones. A smash bros clone. HZD is not aiming to be like Zelda. Funny enough God of War 2018 is closer to Zelda(and still very different) than HZD series.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Yes, it’s Sonys answer to Zelda much like Blinx was MS’s answer to Mario.

Couldn't agree more. A Zelda directed more so to the adult crowd. Not that Zelda can't be enjoyed by adults, or that Horizon can't be enjoyed by kids and teens.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

Surprising times. Known Nintendo centric crowd making their predictable comments.

Kudos to Darashiva for being the exception that confirms the rule, and also to Quark for being the objective voice so far. 

so you have an issue with the Nintendo centric crowds comments and not the clickbait title by the OP? 

Baddman said:
Hynad said:

Surprising times. Known Nintendo centric crowd making their predictable comments.

Kudos to Darashiva for being the exception that confirms the rule, and also to Quark for being the objective voice so far. 

so you have an issue with the Nintendo centric crowds comments and not the clickbait title by the OP? 

Spoiler!
The OP is part of said crowd, despite his pretend objectivity. If you had been around in some of his other youtube channel advertisement threads, you’d know already I don’t enjoy his reviews, his cringey fak texan accent act and his conceited attitude. 
Last edited by Hynad - on 08 March 2022

Horizon reminds me of Skyward Sword in that it bludgeons you over the head with the solutions to the "puzzles" before you're even allowed to look at them. I finally played Rise of the Tomb Raider recently and it has the same problem. Maybe other people enjoy that more than me?

Thanks for another review ZyroX! Short and too the point. Fully agree with the analysis on HFW - clunky platforming mechanics and melee combat is still pretty bad. I've played about 10 hours of HFW and it felt a bit underwhelming? Something seems lacking. That being said the world is beautiful and having distinct art styles across different regions is really awesome to have in an open world game.

With regards to comparisons to Elden Ring - two really different games, but HFW obviously falls short. That being said, I think one area where Elden Ring lacks is that it actually does not have that many varied designs across the regions. Coming from Bluepoints Demon souls I feel like Elden Ring slightly hit a miss there. But given the variety in gameplay its clear where they put their focus and its all the better for it.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

CGI-Quality said:

-Watches thread intensely-

Had I known this would happen... lmfao

hinch said:

Nice review. Could do without the clickbait thread title - its no Zelda. Pretty much agree about the setbacks.. the horrible platforming and traversal leaves a lot to be desired. The combat too; melee is very unforgiving and janky. It does look very pretty though and the animation is top notch.

Saying that its not really doing much to pull me in. Tbf I'm not gotten that far into it.. think I put a few hours in before booting Elden Ring and I haven't looked back. That game is a breath of fresh air as far as open world games go.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Sonys " answer" to zelda? ANSWER?! i know its hard to grind your way into becaming relevante in youtube these days , i get the need to have a bait title for the video. But make one that makes sense.

Jpcc86 said:

Didnt watch the video/review because I dont agree with the use of clickbait titles as a means to garner an audience; and as such I cannot support such... vulgar practices.
However, it should be known that Sony's only answer to Zelda is "yes, please".

WHOA, y'all would pick some super busy week for me to pile on lol...  Given how this thread went, I have no doubt the one I post today will not get a single reply lmfao

I realized how many people I didn't quote, so I'll just reply in a general form:

Sony has answered many games over its years: Uncharted was their answer to Gears of War, PlayStation All-Stars their answer to Smash Bros, etc.  Much like they answered the N64 analog stick by doing TWO analog sticks, there's a history there of them trying to find a way to capture an audience playing a pillar game.

Having clarified that, I noticed people jumping to BotW, and I said "Zelda", not "BotW".  The fact that Nintendo fans gravitate towards BotW being their coup de grace in all conversations of an open world game is on them, not me.  What Sony wanted was a more action-adventure type game focused on combat and exploration.  HFW adds much more puzzles to the mix, too (relic ruins anyone?), though they PALE in comparison to Zelda's puzzles and could probably be solved by toddlers (lol), and Aloy just narrates everything which is insane.  To NOT see that Sony has tried to inject Zelda's influence into their Horizon franchise is a more defensive mindset because it is there, and it's pretty clear they want to have their own "Zelda".. They even have their own "dungeons" (cauldrons, anyone?), though also rather smaller/shorter in comparison.  And as I said, I'm absolutely cool with that, there are things HFW does better than Zelda (barring the obvious part being graphics and story-telling) despite falling short in other areas.

The fact that they've "answered" it doesn't mean they've "copied" it or "bested" it.  Console fans just love getting a little wild with their interpretations of simple words, and accuse things of being "clickbait" (which I hate).  And I should clarify since that is also another misunderstood thing: clickbait is the use of something deceptive in an effort to get a viewers attention without ever actually addressing said clickbait.  I actually mean what I said, here, there's no clickbait.  It just SEEMS that way to defensive "fans", as if people cannot compare similarities between games because "OMG ZELDA SO MUCH BETTER THOUGH HFW IS JUST GENERIC AAA GRAPHICS TRASH" narratives are so prevalent.

Just for shits and giggles, though, here's how clickbait actually works.  Costco DOES still sell the rotisserie chicken, and this ad knows it's a HOT item, so they used it in their image as clickbait, but as it turns out, ITS NOWHERE ON THE LIST BECAUSE IT'S STILL BEING SOLDTHAT is clickbait, using something to completely deceive the viewer without having literally anything to do with it.  My statement is NOT clickbait, it just feels that way to "gamers" lol... Now whether you agree or disagree with my statement is its own matter entirely, and I respect those in the thread that simply disagree.  I'm not against disagreement, but I AM against baseless accusations lmfao

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/