By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Yeah tank wise it's really looking good for Ukraine. Would be a fucking joke to see Russia having no tanks anymore to attack in a year or so (they surely need to hold some back for defensive purposes) and guys like Trump still giving Ukraine up and let Russia rebuild the next years when Russia is at their weakest in decades and the chance for USA/Europe to weaken Russia for the next decades to make them militarily irrelevant except for nukes and their sea fleets

The biggest problem is Russia's planes/helicopters throwing glide bombs and other stuff on Ukraine without much Ukraine can do because they can't shoot them down If they aren't too close. If Ukraine could shoot those down regularly then Russia would be in huge trouble already.

Around the Network

Cobretti2 said:
shavenferret said:

Wow, i don't know what to think about this........ So, Marine Le Pen has promised that the French will not involve themselves in aiding Ukraine? What gives? France under Macron has been a hardliner against Russia. And they have motivations as well. France is angry at russia quaffing their imperialism in Africa. Russia has sent over troops and agents to eliminate French influence in Africa, and you would think that a far-right anybody would be 100% against anybody from Russia. Has Putin blessed her with payments like he did Trump?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/05/europe/france-le-pen-ukraine-mbappe-intl-cmd/index.html

The more you read politics from around the world, the more you wonder if there is a shadow world Government. In 2024 everyone seems to have a problem with immigration as the biggest issue. What gives? coincidence, or statistically unheard off? or perhaps one countries right wing movement goot in power, an others are imitating? Russian puppets?

No coincidence. It's Russia using thousands of social media accounts and various dubious websites in all countries to put the topic of immigration at the center, because anti-immigration has always been the most popular platform for far-right parties to run on. And sadly it's true that immigrants are quickly accepted as the scapegoat for everything that is going wrong in any given country, so all other political parties have not much choice but to talk about immigration as well.

Far-right parties happen to be pro-Russia because they admire how Putin could get rid of democracy. This makes them the ideal partners for Russia's efforts to destabilize western democracies. Russia knows that the weakness of democracies is the knowledge or rather the lack thereof of its citizens. It's also Russia's only realistic chance to win the war in Ukraine, by convincing the population of the USA and the EU that Russia's victory is inevitable. What goes hand in hand with this are attempts to discredit Ukraine, portraying the government there as corrupt and thus as pocketing the aid money for themselves; so the story goes that much-needed money in EU countries gets gifted away to the leeches in Ukraine.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

‘We’ve Been There’: French Resistance Fighters Speak Out Against Rule By The Far Right

All the people who fought the Nazis or experienced the horrors of WW2 are dying and we're going to be left with people who are going to repeat the exact same mistakes in electing a fascist government because they know nothing of history or simply don't care, led by blind single-issue hatred. At least the UK had a win for centre-left but France and America ain't looking too good.

Anyway, either Biden with ATACMS or UK with Storm Shadow or France with SCALP need to allow a long-range strike on Russian soil already, why Macron hasn't already allowed it baffles me because it would be such an easy attack on Le Pen, if we show that Putin does nothing in response to long-range missile attacks then it also shows the only reason someone would rollback on that is to help Putin.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 07 July 2024

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Cobretti2 said:

The more you read politics from around the world, the more you wonder if there is a shadow world Government. In 2024 everyone seems to have a problem with immigration as the biggest issue. What gives? coincidence, or statistically unheard off? or perhaps one countries right wing movement goot in power, an others are imitating? Russian puppets?

No coincidence. It's Russia using thousands of social media accounts and various dubious websites in all countries to put the topic of immigration at the center, because anti-immigration has always been the most popular platform for far-right parties to run on. And sadly it's true that immigrants are quickly accepted as the scapegoat for everything that is going wrong in any given country, so all other political parties have not much choice but to talk about immigration as well.

Far-right parties happen to be pro-Russia because they admire how Putin could get rid of democracy. This makes them the ideal partners for Russia's efforts to destabilize western democracies. Russia knows that the weakness of democracies is the knowledge or rather the lack thereof of its citizens. It's also Russia's only realistic chance to win the war in Ukraine, by convincing the population of the USA and the EU that Russia's victory is inevitable. What goes hand in hand with this are attempts to discredit Ukraine, portraying the government there as corrupt and thus as pocketing the aid money for themselves; so the story goes that much-needed money in EU countries gets gifted away to the leeches in Ukraine.

Ok well I still think that they are assholes but at least I know why this is happening 

Ryuu96 said:

‘We’ve Been There’: French Resistance Fighters Speak Out Against Rule By The Far Right

All the people who fought the Nazis or experienced the horrors of WW2 are dying and we're going to be left with people who are going to repeat the exact same mistakes in electing a fascist government because they know nothing of history or simply don't care, led by blind single-issue hatred. At least the UK had a win for centre-left but France and America ain't looking too good.

Anyway, either Biden with ATACMS or UK with Storm Shadow or France with SCALP need to allow a long-range strike on Russian soil already, why Macron hasn't already allowed it baffles me because it would be such an easy attack on Le Pen, if we show that Putin does nothing in response to long-range missile attacks then it also shows the only reason someone would rollback on that is to help Putin.

Given the likelihood of Trump barring further aid, Ukraine might want to just say F it, and start using its missles against Russia once trump is in office. What will America do? Stop aid? Cry like baby? 

shavenferret said:
Ryuu96 said:

Given the likelihood of Trump barring further aid, Ukraine might want to just say F it, and start using its missles against Russia once trump is in office. What will America do? Stop aid? Cry like baby? 

They absolutely should, if America stops aid to Ukraine then they should turn whatever remaining HIMARS/ATACMS they have towards Russian airfields, Russian troops and military buildings inside of Russia and give the Russian Foreign Legion some Bradleys and other American vehicles for their next incursion into Russia, why the fuck should Ukraine follow any rules America enforces at that stage?

Well, I can think of one reason, it may cause some allies in the West to piss themselves and tell Ukraine off because even though Trump is a fascist dickhead, I bet they'll be some countries who will cry at Ukraine for not showing respect to America's rules or not behaving in their delusional perfect way, maybe not the Baltics/Nordics/Poland/Czech but probably Western Europe would have a whine at Ukraine.

John Healey embraced hero President Volodymyr Zelensky in war torn Odessa yesterday as he vowed all additional military aid promised in April will be delivered within 100 days of Labour taking power “guaranteed”. He insisted the new government is “totally committed” to hiking UK defence spending to 2.5 per cent of GDP but the “defence of Britain starts in Ukraine.”

Mr Healey hotfooted it to the Black Sea port straight from Sir Keir Starmer’s first Cabinet meeting as a clear signal to the Kremlin that far from backsliding, UK support would be “stepped up and sped up”. He told The Sun: “At every stage since Putin launched his full scale invasion, we have backed all the military aid… the extra funding had our full backing in opposition, we will now deliver it in government.”

And in a direct message to the Russian tyrant, he warned: “Putin is looking for Western nations to lose patience to lose resolve, he must know that Britain under Labour will stand with Ukraine for as long as it takes to win. “We will confront Russian aggression and we will pursue him for his war crimes.” During his first official visit to Ukraine, that came within 48 hours of his appointment, Mr Healey said it was time to “step up” the “special leadership” Britain has already shown since Putin invaded Ukraine in 2022.

Britain has pledged up to £3 billion in assistance to Ukraine this year including desperately needed missiles, ammunition and vehicles. He said his “first action” when he arrived at the Ministry of Defence on Friday “was to ask ‘what more can I do to help, how can we speed up what we have already announced?’”

He warned: “The Ukrainians have made a general complaint, that too often what has been promised by the West they have still not got. “They can’t say that about the UK and I am determined that they won’t.” And he pledged; “So the package of support, the extra military aid that Sunak announced in April, that will now come with a 100 day guarantee under Labour.

“What was announced in April will be delivered by the end of 100 days of Labour government.” He added he had “directed the MoD to speed up the delivery of what was promised” by the previous government. And he insisted it could be done, saying; “I am not going to make promises that we don’t keep, and that will be a hallmark of what will start to see under a Labour government.”

He told The Sun: “At the first Cabinet meeting, Keir said ‘we know trust in government must be regained. We will will do what we say and at the heart of this Labour government must be delivery. “And politicians can make promises, but they demonstrate in the end, to people who must have confidence in their government, they demonstrate by what they do.

“So if delivery is at the heart of this government, within less than 24 hours after I was appointed I am on my way to Ukraine. “And I am doing that because we have been, and we are proud of being, united behind Ukraine.” “We made that promise, just as we have throughout, we will continue our steadfast support for Ukraine,” he added.

“We are proud of the UK leadership on Ukraine and I’ve said I want to be proud of UK leadership in six months time. “So I will play my part in what Keir Starmer gave as our marching orders - to put delivery at the heart of everything we do.” He said his visit would be “strong message on Ukraine, a strong message on defence and a strong message on a Keir Starmer government.”

And he instead there was more to come, saying: “First of all we speed up delivery of what we have already announced. "Secondly we will step up further and see what kit we can offer the Ukrainians. “So I have the MoD begin scouring stockpiles, especially for the kit that the Ukrainians are using every day in this fight.”

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 07 July 2024

Labour hitting the ground running both domestically and internationally.