By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Around the Network

Macron didn't rule out Western ground forces in Ukraine. Now that was a shocking statement, considering how reluctant the West has been with weapon deliveries. Although the French revised this statement to mean ground forces that are not meant for combat operations.

Well, whatever. It was clear that everybody else would be against this. But maybe this was a calculated attempt to push the next red line further into the distance to get something less dramatic approved? "Yeah, we are giving Ukraine new weapon systems, but still no soldiers. We remain considerate and careful." - Nah, I don't believe it.

But in actually concrete news, it's great that France has stopped blocking purchases of ammo from non-EU countries. Also funny to read that the Czech Republic will act as the middleman, so none of the "morally good" European countries have to get their hands dirty. They'll provide the cash without asking where the goods actually come from.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

Macron didn't rule out Western ground forces in Ukraine. Now that was a shocking statement, considering how reluctant the West has been with weapon deliveries. Although the French revised this statement to mean ground forces that are not meant for combat operations.

Well, whatever. It was clear that everybody else would be against this. But maybe this was a calculated attempt to push the next red line further into the distance to get something less dramatic approved? "Yeah, we are giving Ukraine new weapon systems, but still no soldiers. We remain considerate and careful." - Nah, I don't believe it.

But in actually concrete news, it's great that France has stopped blocking purchases of ammo from non-EU countries. Also funny to read that the Czech Republic will act as the middleman, so none of the "morally good" European countries have to get their hands dirty. They'll provide the cash without asking where the goods actually come from.

Honestly think Macron is just doing his typical posturing and nothing more than that. I've no belief that the West would ever consider putting forces into Ukraine, even non-combat ones, during the course of the war or when there's a possibility of a missile strike killing them, some are still too afraid to send long-range missiles, others are still too afraid to let Ukraine use certain western weapons on Russian soil.

But it makes sense to not rule out any option.

About the Czech find, isn't that more along the lines that EU as a collective entity can't fund ammunition purchases outside of EU but individual countries can still make the decision to do it themselves? Which is what Czech Republic has done but they need the help funding it, technically it won't be an EU collective effort but individual countries choosing to help.

At least that's how I thought it meant, I might be wrong though.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

By deport to they mean back to Russia or to go and take their racists shit to another country?

I would let some Russian army trucks come to Sri Lanka one at a time and collect them so they can end up in Ukraine on the front lines.

Ryuu96 said:

Honestly think Macron is just doing his typical posturing and nothing more than that. I've no belief that the West would ever consider putting forces into Ukraine, even non-combat ones, during the course of the war or when there's a possibility of a missile strike killing them, some are still too afraid to send long-range missiles, others are still too afraid to let Ukraine use certain western weapons on Russian soil.

But it makes sense to not rule out any option.

About the Czech find, isn't that more along the lines that EU as a collective entity can't fund ammunition purchases outside of EU but individual countries can still make the decision to do it themselves? Which is what Czech Republic has done but they need the help funding it, technically it won't be an EU collective effort but individual countries choosing to help.

At least that's how I thought it meant, I might be wrong though.

I haven't looked into the legal matters of these purchases, rather it's just that this reminded me of the German Ringtausch program for tanks and the like where Germany gave equipment to countries who had given their equipment to Ukraine, i.e. it's not a direct support of Ukraine which fits the bill of two important German mantras:

1. Do something to help Ukraine, because it would be wrong to do nothing
2. Make sure that Russia doesn't view Germany as an active participant in the war.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Nice, Belgium can't really contribute much own equipment to help Ukraine so great to see they will at least help otherwise when they can. 

4k for one shell. That shit ain't cheap...

Is France/Spain/UK/Germany/Italy contributing anything? Lol.

I swear just one of those could fund most of it on their own...

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 28 February 2024

Ryuu96 said:

Is France/Spain/UK/Germany/Italy contributing anything? Lol.

I swear just one of those could fund most of it on their own...

Seems like the smaller countries have to take the shit from Russia to pay for shells from outside the EU...