By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

SecondWar said:
Biggerboat1 said:

Hmm I didn't think of the Trump aspect - he really does just fuck up everything.

It's just so strange to see Republicans being against any US military involvement full stop, and it of course has to be the one where there's a clear moral imperative to help...  And the idea that there's some in the party that are pro-Russian is bewildering - completely at odds with their historic stance. American politics is in equal measure baffling/terrifying/depressing...

Since the advent of Trump, Republicans (some if them) have taken more if an isolationist stance in international affairs. This is usually what Trumpist say when refusing Ukraine's appeal for aide. They'll say Europe's problems aren't America's problems. Trump also is a big Nato skeptic and a second Trump term could well see him withdraw the US from Nato.

But its also hard to listen to Trump and his backers like MTG and not conclude that they're pro-Ruusia.

Though that isolationist stance doesn't seem to apply to the middle east... Didn't they just pass some bill that says being anti-zionist is the same as being antisemitic... And one republican congressman wore an IDF uniform.

I can understand that donors are driving this fervour (after all, helping Israel actually goes against what a less savoury part of their base would prefer). It's just weird that donor pressure doesn't seem to be as effective within the context of Ukraine... 

Around the Network
Biggerboat1 said:

Do we have any idea why the Republicans are throwing a spanner in the works? My understanding is that 99% of them are just donor schills that will do what they're told by capital (dems are only slightly better if we're being honest). As more funding to Ukraine would benefit the 'military industrial complex' wouldn't they be keen to pull the same strings as they normally do to increase gov spending?

Unless there are other big donors who have interests in halting Ukraine funding... Israel/Aipac for instance would maybe rather keep the attention on their conflict & don't want Ukraine competing for the same US dollars?

Or do Republicans make an exception to obeying their donor overlords if it means disagreeing with the dems? (though I feel this would require more backbone than they have)

It's election year, the Republicans are desperate for a domestic policy win so they will only support Ukraine funding if the Democrats cave on border demands and are willing to throw Ukrainians under the bus. I still believe the majority of Republicans support Ukraine aside from some crazy fucks in House but most voters won't vote based on foreign policy, they will largely vote on domestic policy.

The Republicans are so desperate to win they're willing to let Ukrainians die as a result and they know the Democrats will probably eventually cave on their border demands to get the Ukraine funding. Also, most Republican voters seem to support Israel a lot more than they do Ukraine so they can get away with throwing Ukraine under the bus.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 13 January 2024

Gaddamn, this is pretty crazy footage, two Bradley's taking down Russia's best tank, the T-90M.

The balls on that Bradley crew, an IFV made in the 1980's taking on an MBT made in 2016.

The Bradley was designed to take out Soviet trash, turns out it can take out Russian trash too.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 13 January 2024

Like how Russian ships keep turning into submarines, that tank looked like it was trying to evolve into a helicopter.

Newest Kings and Generals video about the War in Ukraine

Ryuu96 said:

Like how Russian ships keep turning into submarines, that tank looked like it was trying to evolve into a helicopter.

Russia should have called that model "Uragan"

Around the Network

Lol. They only made ~40 A-50's and less than 10 are operational.

Russia would rather say it was friendly fire than admit it was Ukraine.

Bonus: Why Won't Ukraine Negotiate With Russia?!?!?!?!?!?!

The most forward-leaning European producer has been Rheinmetall. It has committed to annual production of 700,000 artillery rounds by the end of 2024, and will this year open production and maintenance facilities in Ukraine for armoured vehicles. Most of its orders are paid for by Germany. Mr Tusa contrasts this to France, whose orders have not matched President Macron's rhetoric about shifting to a war economy.

One way for Europe to ramp up faster could be to relax technical specifications. Shells will rarely meet fine-tuned Western accuracy demands anyway when fired from Ukraine's often worn-out artillery barrels (the country will probably need 2,000 new barrels per year). And safety regulations for long-term storage make little sense for shells that will be fired within days. In wars of attrition the need for quantity nearly always overrides quality.

I wonder if they put another Patriot close to the frontlines, I can't really blame them for using Patriot in that way even if risky, it seems a very capable offensive weapon, Ukraine can't win a war by just defending themselves from blows.

"The Best Defence is a Good Offense"