By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Ryuu96 said:

What I still wonder is, why is Ukraine potentially attacking Russian ground with Western weapons after Russia started a war the start of a Third World War (which many politicians in the West think as well) but Russia attacking Ukraine with weapons from Iran and North Korea isn't. I mean, maybe you should tell Russia as well that they can only attack Ukraine with Russian weapons then or otherwise the usage of rockets like from North Korea is exactly the same?

Sure, as crazy as Russian politicians are it wouldn't be a good idea to attack Russian ground with Taurus or other systems but if such an involvement of other countries is the start of WW3 then tell Russia they started it already...

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 16 August 2023

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
Ryuu96 said:

What I still wonder is, why is Ukraine potentially attacking Russian ground with Western weapons after Russia started a war the start of a Third World War (which many politicians in the West think as well) but Russia attacking Ukraine with weapons from Iran and North Korea isn't. I mean, maybe you should tell Russia as well that they can only attack Ukraine with Russian weapons then or otherwise the usage of rockets like from North Korea is exactly the same?

Sure, as crazy as Russian politicians are it wouldn't be a good idea to attack Russian ground with Taurus or other systems but if such an involvement of other countries is the start of WW3 then tell Russia they started it already...

Most likely because of how people expect the sides to respond.

Western countries tend to show a level of restraint that we don't anticipate Russia reciprocating. The West and Ukraine aren't going to attack Iran and/or North Korea over it. Russia is much more likely to attack the West over it.

But also potentially a level of political limitations - it easier to pledge to supply weapons as opposed to being directly involved in a war.

crissindahouse said:

This is the same game that takes place in the USA's inner politics with the general conflict between democrats and republicans, in the Ukraine war the West assumes the democrats' general position while Russia assumes the republicans' general position.

Said game is the fear of being hypocritical of one's own values on the West's side, because somehow getting accused of hypocrisy by a side (Russia) who breaks all rules and shows no common decency is much worse than ignoring their words and doing the right thing. So Russia, just like the republicans, keeps using the West's valuable high road against itself. "Oh no, you can't do that. It would go against your values." While on the other side, Russia doesn't give the slightest damn regarding hypocrisy or accountability in general, again, just like the republicans. It's a game that works only in a single direction.

The sad thing is the West's values are full of double standards anyway, such as the EU's desired appearance to be a welcoming place while in the shadows they don't mind that refugees drown in the Mediterranian Sea. The EU doesn't issue deliberate orders to sink the refugees' boats, but they are content to allow boats to sink which they already know of that they are in serious danger of sinking. Basically, if you are an EU citizen with the ability to think critically, you are aware that the EU's precious values are commonly fake.

The reality is that World War III cannot possibly start until the West commits soldiers to the frontline, so in other words, the only sort of equipment that can be off limits are ABC weapons. Taurus and other long range missiles hitting Russian ground won't be a problem. But NATO jets being flown by NATO pilots to give Ukraine air support above Ukraine and/or the Black Sea, that would be crossing the line. On the other hand, F-16s in the hands of Ukrainian pilots would be fine, because it would just be another type of Western equipment provided to Ukraine, like so many before. At first Russia will threaten escalation, then when things move towards being greenlit for Ukraine, Russia says that Ukraine can't win the war anyway because these new weapons will be ineffective.

"Wir wollen keine Kampfjetdebatte, jetzt da die Panzerfrage geklärt ist." - Lars Klingbeil

I truly wonder who was shocked when the public discourse immediately moved on to F-16s, because it was so absolutely predictable after we had already moved through the same cycle about five times before.

"Die Deutschen denken, dass sie die größten und tollsten sind. Aber in Wahrheit sind sie auch nur ein bisschen andere Österreicher und mindestens genau so deppert." - Two lost World Wars speak volumes.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

So, Marder, Challenger and Stryker all seen the last days now.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:

Stryker and Challenger in Robotyne apparently where Russians are describing the situation as "severe"

Looks like the 82nd Air Assault Brigade is/were holding them.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 16 August 2023

Ryuu96 said:
crissindahouse said:

Stryker and Challenger in Robotyne apparently where Russians are describing the situation as "severe"

Yeah Marder as well around Robotyne. 

crissindahouse said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yeah Marder as well around Robotyne. 

After Robotyne from what I can see there are 4 villages directly on the road to Tokmak, 3 are fairly close to each other and soon after Robotyne, I hope they can take it soon and cause some panic in the nearby villages. Robotyne is the shortest road to Tokmak too.

Lol, at first I thought the shirtless dudes were captured Russians but nah, they're recording, both are likely Ukrainian soldiers, I doubt this is the front then...Probably from a training field...But the 82nd is apparently in Robotyne and the 82nd does have Challenger 2 tanks so we may see them in action very soon.

The 46th and 82nd brigades are the key Ukranian forces, fully equipped with western material. If they are thrown into the battle, it means Ukrania is "All-in". There are no units that can relieve/replace them in case of heavy losses.