By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

To add an extra point.

Mr Sullivan told reporters that the cluster munitions America will send to Ukraine have a dud rate of less than 2.5%, describing that as far below Russia's cluster munition dud rate, which US officials say is between 30-40%.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 07 July 2023

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
EpicRandy said:

It's worth noting that neither the US, Ukraine nor Russia have joined the cluster munition convention. Some other Nato members like Turkey and Greece also did not ban their use.
Still, I don't like the idea to provide such a controversial weapon, but what I like even less is an armed conflict where the protagonist uses different sets of rules.
Also, I'm sure Ukraine may let Nato/close ally monitor planned usage to make sure civilians are out of range.

As for diplomatic repercussions, I think it should not amount to anything game-changer.
The ability for Russia to throw a tantrum on this is weak, but I'm sure they still will and show again how hypocritical they are.
The probability for 3rd party such as China to escalate support to Russia as a result of this is also very weak for the same reasons.
The probability for 3rd party to decrease support for Ukraine is moderate but I think common sense will prevail in the end and it certainly was the focus of US consultation with their ally.
Nato membership might be a little more complex as a result, but as this is out of the question until the conflict is over anyway it does not change much and the urgency of the situation is a priority

My Thoughts

Really, a counterpoint to some arguments, not really directly responding to you perse but I knew the issue would arise and wanted to provide some counterpoints, I understand the worry about the post war clean-up but I think the pros outweigh the cons, amongst other reasons I'm not against the decision.

1. The USA, Ukraine, Russia and multiple other countries haven't joined the agreement. It is also my understanding that the agreement is a pretty light one, it isn't really enforceable aside from moaning and countries can easily leave it whenever they want to.

2. Ukraine & Russia have been using cluster munitions since the start of the war, if anything, America's ones are probably better quality than the shit currently deployed by both sides because America has been working for years now on improving the dud rate. As an example, America is only sending cluster munitions with a dud rate of less than 1% to Ukraine.

3. They're largely going to be used on static trenches along the frontlines, nowhere near civilians, on areas which are already littered with UXOs (Unexploded Ordnances). Cluster Munitions or not, a large part of Ukraine is already going to be a UXO hellscape for decades, the cluster munitions will be a drop in the bucket all things considered.

Grenades, RPGs, Mortars, Artillery, etc. They all have dud rates too, as an example, 10m artillery rounds have an average dud rate of 300k. This is without even mentioning the thousands of mines which will be littering the grounds, also the mines swept by the dam which Ukraine now has no clue where they are, mines covering the entire frontline.

Cluster Munitions will largely be used for trenches and open fielded Russian positions where civilians are nowhere to be found, but unfortunately, post war, they will likely be civilians navigating these areas and they will likely trip off UXOs. At this stage, that is happening no matter what.

4. Ukraine however, will be the ones firing the cluster munitions on their own soil, as a result, they will be able to monitor and track the areas they're used in and clean them up as well as could be expected post-war, obviously they won't get them all but it's a large difference to someone else firing cluster munitions on your soil or hiding landlines across your country, because it's harder to track the area they're in.

5. A lot of countries who have banned cluster munitions have not recently had to make the difficult decision of whether to use them on their own soil or not because these countries have not been invaded lately, a lot of these countries which have banned cluster munitions have been the invaded of other countries, which then makes the decision even more understandable because it goes like this...

Western country invades some Middle-Eastern country (as per usual), spits cluster munitions all over their land and then fucks off and leaves the civilians to deal with it without cleaning up their mess. Western countries have made the decision largely to not use them on foreign soil because it's fucked up to use them on foreign soil and then fuck off afterwards, Lol.

Ukraine is making a decision to use them on its own soil and they will deal with the consequences afterwards (with our help) and they will have the capability and support to clean up after themselves after the war is over.

6. The biggest threat to Ukraine is currently Russians themselves, not cluster munitions or any other weapon that could be provided to Ukraine. If the cluster munitions shorten the war and get Russians out quicker then that would be a net positive because we've already seen what the Russians are doing to every city they come across, to the Ukrainians, to the environment, taking out entire regions environmentally for decades to come.

7. Russia already uses cluster munitions so they have no right to moan, China isn't part of the pact so likewise they can't moan, I don't see support dropping when support is already largely USA, UK won't care and Eastern Europe will likely cheer it on. Maybe France and Germany moans but I doubt it. I also don't think it will affect their NATO membership when some NATO members don't even recognise the pact.

8. Unfortunately, it's a truth that Western nations can't keep up with Ukraine's artillery demand because Western nations don't rely on artillery for wars, so it's either something else fills the gaps (cluster munitions) or the offensive comes to a slow and brutal grind, because Ukraine will start running low on artillery ammo and it's already hard enough breaking through mine riddled fields and entrenched Russian positions.

---

Sidenote: It's annoying to see "Human Rights" companies moan about this but barely mention all the times Russia bombs a Ukraine restaurant, a block of flats, or how quiet everyone was when Russia blew the dam and caused way more damage than cluster munitions with a dud rate of less than 1% will cause in the long term.

Pretty much what I thought/anticipated/supposed but with way more information and precision. Thanks, always appreciate thorough critical thinking and information-dense post like this. 

EpicRandy said:
Ryuu96 said:

-Snip-

Pretty much what I thought/anticipated/supposed but with way more information and precision. Thanks, always appreciate thorough critical thinking and information-dense post like this. 

Just to say that I do agree the reality of the situation sucks and I understand your concerns, you're not wrong for having those initial concerns, all I can argue is that the pros outweigh the cons, I can't argue that there's no cons, but I stand by that ultimately it's the right decision for Ukraine. Unfortunately some Ukrainians may trip off these duds after the war but on the flip side pushing Russia out faster could save thousands of lives.

If Turkey does back Ukraine which I see no reason why they wouldn't (I'm talking after this war is over) then I can't see that coward Orban being an issue, he only becomes an issue when he has another country backing him up and that is sometimes Turkey.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 07 July 2023

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
EpicRandy said:

Just to say that I do agree the reality of the situation sucks and I understand your concerns, you're not wrong for having those initial concerns, all I can argue is that the pros outweigh the cons, I can't argue that there's no cons, but I stand by that ultimately it's the right decision for Ukraine. Unfortunately some Ukrainians may trip off these duds after the war but on the flip side pushing Russia out faster could save thousands of lives.

We're pretty much on the same page. I discarded my concerns as insufficient pretty much right away as far as the issue they pose inside Ukraine itself. Also, based on the information you give, giving Ukraine what it needs including such weapons may counterintuitively actually reduce the overall number of duds by shortening the conflict.

However, my main concerns are more with public perception/population support for Ukraine in third-party countries, in a population where misinformation has such a hold that it results in people giving more and more voice to such despicable beings as MTG & Marine Le Pen, my confidence is very low that people will seek proper information and critically think about the situation the like you and I do. 

That said it's a concern that should not prevent the US to transfer such weapons but a concern that should be thoroughly addressed to prevent a shift of perspective in a supportive country electorate position.  

"We will support Ukraine for as long as it takes."

The same people:

"We will not provide Ukraine with the necessary weapons to win the war." (They don't say this directly, but this is what they do.)

This has been on repeat for almost 1.5 years now. There are constant worries that Ukraine could fire on Russian territory while at the same time it's apparently okay that Russia deliberately strikes civilian infrastructure and buildings. Because if it were truly believed that what Russia does is not okay, then the West would have been pulling out the stops a long time ago. Instead large parts of the West seemingly play a game where they want to keep a door open for a return to generally accepted trade with Russia within the next couple of years.

In parts it's so blatant by now that Russia could blow up a huge dam and it still didn't change anything about the hesitation to supply Ukraine with the things they need and ask for.

In the meantime the Austrian chancellor has invited his counterparts from Hungary and Serbia to Austria to form an agreement against the EU's asylum policies. Serbia isn't even in the EU, for god's sake! It's like there's no holding back in Austria's conservative party to keep building towards a future (next year's election) where they'll want to do a coalition with the far-right party, even if that means that the far-right will have the next chancellor; and with the way the conservatives are handling things, it's almost a given that the far-right will be the strongest party after the next election.

The overall point being that the EU is already bogged down enough by rubbish Hungary, so it's just depressing that Austria would rather align itself with those idiots than the majority. It's gotten to the point that I am seriously considering to cast a vote for the first time in my life. It used to be that there was always at least some common sense left in Austria, so the coalitions between left and right parties would block each other's more extreme tendencies, but those days are seemingly over.

Fingers crossed that Ukraine can push out the Russians by summer 2024 at the latest. That way it will be all over while Austria still flies under the radar and doesn't bring even greater shame on its own already more than enough stained history.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

"We will support Ukraine for as long as it takes."

The same people:

"We will not provide Ukraine with the necessary weapons to win the war." (They don't say this directly, but this is what they do.)

This has been on repeat for almost 1.5 years now. There are constant worries that Ukraine could fire on Russian territory while at the same time it's apparently okay that Russia deliberately strikes civilian infrastructure and buildings. Because if it were truly believed that what Russia does is not okay, then the West would have been pulling out the stops a long time ago. Instead large parts of the West seemingly play a game where they want to keep a door open for a return to generally accepted trade with Russia within the next couple of years.

In parts it's so blatant by now that Russia could blow up a huge dam and it still didn't change anything about the hesitation to supply Ukraine with the things they need and ask for.

It's also clear that a lot of Western nations have a luxury view on war too, it's easy to take the morale high ground when your country hasn't fought a war for its existence since WW2 and most who remember those days are now dead. It's easy to ban yourself from using cluster munitions when you've spent the past 30 or so years being the invader towards other far weaker countries than you. They didn't need cluster munitions to absolutely fuck up these countries, they simply used "legal" weapons of mass destruction.

Would all these countries who have banned cluster munitions, if they were in the exact same position as Ukraine, facing a huge foe who is entrenched in their lands, constantly killing their civilians and causing mass destruction, say to themselves: "We can't use everything we can to defend ourselves because we signed an agreement one time years ago to not use this". I don't think they would, I think the agreements on certain weapons would soon fly out of the window if they were in the same position as Ukraine.

The one and only reason they wouldn't have to resort to cluster munitions is because they have the luxury of having far better weapons of mass destruction, they'd likely achieve air superiority because that is a focus of Western countries, something which Ukraine cannot achieve, and from there, they would absolutely aerial bomb the living shit out of every Russian position. Ukraine doesn't have that luxury, they're being forced to fight a counter-offensive with little air support, they have to lean heavily on artillery which is running out because the West doesn't rely on artillery for wars.

I trust Ukraine to do what it believes is best for its own country and having said all of the above, I do think the rules they've accepted in regards to cluster munitions are good rules and ones they should abide themselves to and these rules shouldn't hold them back much at all but will be morally decent and future proofing rules.

Things like closely monitoring, tracking their usage and working with NATO will help clean-up post war, things like a strong focus on de-mining these specific areas is a common sense rule, things like not using them in cities is a morally decent rule which shouldn't hurt their ability to kick Russia out because they largely needs these munitions to get past the trenches, once that happens, well, we've seen what happens when Russian's think their positions are in danger, they retreat, encircling a city is just as effective and they have precision weaponry for city targets.

Western Politicians and Human Rights Groups should have waited for Ukraine to establish these rules first before jumping to an instant "NO!" position and should actually take into account that these munitions have an extremely low dud rate compared to the stuff that both Ukraine and Russia are currently employing so if America can replace Ukraine's cluster munitions, that would even be a net positive in the long run because they're moving down from a dud rate of 30%+ to less than 2%.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 July 2023

This is uh, interesting, because Turkey's agreement with Russia was that they'd remain in Turkey until the war is over, Lol. Wonder if Russia agreed to this or Turkey just went back on the promise, latter wouldn't surprise me, Turkey often screws Russia while pretending to be their friend. Also, Russian Nationalists were fuming even on the original agreement, wonder how angry they are now.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 July 2023