By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

It took a while before games were translated to Dutch as well so all my childhood I played all my games in English, a language I didn’t understand at first. Games back then might have been simpler and less text-heavy, and English might have been fairly straightforward to learn with it being a Germanic language like my own, but playing games like that is the reason I now know English though so there is a plus-side in doing things in another language.

Around the Network
Norion said:

This is so absurd that at this point it's just funny. I certainly didn't expect saying how I feel about when the Switch 2 will launch and bringing up a hypothetical scenario would lead to this, easily the most ridiculous discussion I've ever had on here.

But you didn't just say how you feel about when the Switch 2 will launch, you said the Switch would have sold faster if it launched a few months earlier during the holidays in 2016. Then you kept jumping between those things and telling me I'm confused when all you had to do was pick a stance and clarify it. And then when the guy whose only purpose on this site is to find the lowest hanging fruit in any thread to try to dunk on someone came in as your white knight, you acted like that's what you meant all along.

But I will agree with you that it's far too absurd at this point.

RolStoppable said:
Norion said:

This is so absurd that at this point it's just funny. I certainly didn't expect saying how I feel about when the Switch 2 will launch and bringing up a hypothetical scenario would lead to this, easily the most ridiculous discussion I've ever had on here.

Yeah... it even looks like burninmylight doesn't care anymore who said what. Norion and Shtinamin are one and the same guy now.

Well, at least he knows me.

See what I mean? Lowest hanging fruit. Because I'm the first person to accidentally type the wrong username when mentioning strangers on the Internet. Yes, everyone knows the class clown.

Fight-the-Streets said:
burninmylight said:

"If Nintendo would have launched the Switch the holiday season before that March, the lifetime numbers would be higher."

That's an interesting question. I don't think things play out 1:1, i.e. having this first holidays season will make higher lifetime sales. Sure, if you start later with sales you have to catch up but on the other hand with this first holiday sales, the saturation point would also have been reached a bit earlier, meaning that by about today we would have about the same lifetime sales (higher initial sales with earlier reach of saturation point vs. lower initial sales with later saturation point). Personaly, once the Switch is discontinued I guess we would have about the same lifetime sales.

Good point. Consoles aren't evergreen, and there is a finite number of customers in the world that will buy one. In the case of the Switch though, maybe the lifetime numbers really would be higher if Nintendo was able to match the insane demand during its first two years. Granted, anyone who really wanted one that bad has had years to go and get it by now, so that demographic of disenfranchised potential buyers who never came back is likely negligible.

A way to boost sales somewhat in a straightforward way is to offer a new SKU of the OLED without the dock.

So OLED with 2 joycons + power supply. It would not contain the dock nor the joycon grip. Packaging will be smaller (cheaper logistics) and offer it for $280 or other currency equivalent.

The OLED is compatible with the OG dock, so for people that like to upgrade and already have a dock, it would be incentive to buy the new SKU. Or as a second/third Switch in the household. Also handheld only gamers would be interested with the better screen compared to the Lite.

Nikkei is also reporting that Switch 2 won't be coming before March 2025 or later: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/02/rumour-new-report-from-nikkei-corroborates-switch-2-delay-into-2025

Around the Network
Tober said:

A way to boost sales somewhat in a straightforward way is to offer a new SKU of the OLED without the dock.

So OLED with 2 joycons + power supply. It would not contain the dock nor the joycon grip. Packaging will be smaller (cheaper logistics) and offer it for $280 or other currency equivalent.

The OLED is compatible with the OG dock, so for people that like to upgrade and already have a dock, it would be incentive to buy the new SKU. Or as a second/third Switch in the household. Also handheld only gamers would be interested with the better screen compared to the Lite.

Honestly, I think that would be a good idea. Personally I want that. But I think the pricing would be near $300, if this were to become a reality. And if they really wanted to, they can sell the OLED dock separately for $60 (but if that increases SKU's I dont think thye'd do it, plus that would mean that they have to make a new package for the OLED dock).

Solid idea!

What other SKU's could they make? All I can think of is more franchise themed OLED's (like TotK, Mario Red, Animal Crossing), so a Luigi, Peach, Bowser, DK, etc.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

burninmylight said:
Norion said:

But you didn't just say how you feel about when the Switch 2 will launch, you said the Switch would have sold faster if it launched a few months earlier during the holidays in 2016. Then you kept jumping between those things and telling me I'm confused when all you had to do was pick a stance and clarify it. And then when the guy whose only purpose on this site is to find the lowest hanging fruit in any thread to try to dunk on someone came in as your white knight, you acted like that's what you meant all along.

RolStoppable said:

Yeah... it even looks like burninmylight doesn't care anymore who said what. Norion and Shtinamin are one and the same guy now.

See what I mean? Lowest hanging fruit. Because I'm the first person to accidentally type the wrong username when mentioning strangers on the Internet. Yes, everyone knows the class clown.

You are indeed still confused it seems since what I was saying was quite clear.

Last edited by Norion - on 26 February 2024

Norion said:
burninmylight said:

RolStoppable said:

You are indeed still confused it seems.

Not worth the conversation. One reason, why I'm not getting in to this right now.

What franchises can Nintendo release that'll help the Switch in it's last year? Or does it even need to release anything?
Pokémon-related release in Nov 
Rhythm Heaven
DK
Switch Sports Resort
Nintendogs

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
Tober said:

Honestly, I think that would be a good idea. Personally I want that. But I think the pricing would be near $300, if this were to become a reality. And if they really wanted to, they can sell the OLED dock separately for $60 (but if that increases SKU's I dont think thye'd do it, plus that would mean that they have to make a new package for the OLED dock).

Solid idea!

What other SKU's could they make? All I can think of is more franchise themed OLED's (like TotK, Mario Red, Animal Crossing), so a Luigi, Peach, Bowser, DK, etc.

I think the bundles of last year will make a return for this summer and the 2024 holiday season:

Oled + Mario Kart

Oled + Super Smash Brothers

Lite + Animal crossings

Shtinamin_ said:
Norion said:

You are indeed still confused it seems since what I was saying was quite clear.

Not worth the conversation. One reason, why I'm not getting in to this right now.

What franchises can Nintendo release that'll help the Switch in it's last year? Or does it even need to release anything?
Pokémon-related release in Nov 
Rhythm Heaven
DK
Switch Sports Resort
Nintendogs

Yeah I'm not gonna bother taking it seriously any more since there's clearly no point so I'm just gonna have fun with it now.

With the DK area at Super Nintendo World a DK game is a possibility. Metroid Prime 4 could maybe get released late this year though I'd prefer they wait on that so people don't have to wait to play it on the Switch 2.