By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA might sell?

At this point, we have to assume that just about anyone in the gaming space is potentially willing to sell, or do a big deal of some sort. There's a lot of money being thrown around. The world at large seems to have finally woken up to the fact that video games are big business, with huge growth potential. What individual publishers are ultimately going to be asking themselves in the years ahead, is "do we have the capability to maintain a platform/service on our own, that can compete with others in this space, or do we need to potentially look at being a part of a greater whole?"

Can an EA Play, or Ubisoft Plus fight for relevant market-share? Are they sustainable on their own? Can Take Two continue to appease investors' demand for a growing business with just GTA, and very little else, because GTA simply demands all the resources they have to give? I think it's inevitable that we see more consolidation moving forward. Whether that means acquisitions, mergers, or whatever, but the gaming landscape is going to look very different in the next 5-10 years.

Last edited by Angelus - on 20 January 2022

Around the Network

Now, I think EA/Ubisoft would accept anything if there is enough money involved, but they are too big. Potential buyers are pretty much MS, Amazon and Tecent.
SEGA is a possible one, but not sure it would do much difference.
Capcom has being doing great with PC and PS, but I don't see it as a huge strategic value for any specific side.

Square has some additional arms that dont really make sense for most of the buyers, and Square would never sell just the tree and be left with worthless branchs that only make sense if you can make free use of their iconic IPs. A hard sell for many.

Konami almost makes sense, issue being there doesn't seem to be any talent left in there. You would be buying a lot of trash just for the IPs.

From Software/Kojima Productions dont seem like they want to sell. Kojima wants to die doing his thing and FS gives me the same vibe.

The one acquisition I do hope happens is Nintendo buying Platinum. They’ve done so many projects together and they’ve all been fantastic. They seem to work extremely well with Nintendo funding Platinum’s projects and then letting Platinum have full creative control. I genuinely think it would be beneficial overall.

As for bigger companies, I don’t really want Capcom or Square or Sega to sell. But if any, I could see Sega doing so if Sonic Frontiers fails to do well. Sega needs to have more heavy hitters that doesn’t just rely on Atlus titles or Yakuza.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Paatar said:

The one acquisition I do hope happens is Nintendo buying Platinum. They’ve done so many projects together and they’ve all been fantastic. They seem to work extremely well with Nintendo funding Platinum’s projects and then letting Platinum have full creative control. I genuinely think it would be beneficial overall.

As for bigger companies, I don’t really want Capcom or Square or Sega to sell. But if any, I could see Sega doing so if Sonic Frontiers fails to do well. Sega needs to have more heavy hitters that doesn’t just rely on Atlus titles or Yakuza.

Total War series on PC does well and SEGA also as part of Sammy has a hotel business.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I think Ubisoft is more likely to sell. It's cheaper too.