By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Who will be dominant on Xbox?

Will Xbox only focus on the larger IP's?

Yes, they will print money. 6 42.86%

No, they will be balanced... 7 50.00%

no change, smaller IP's w... 1 7.14%

Total:14
SvennoJ said:
Manlytears said:

This is an interesting point and it makes me a little confused in their mobile strategy...

It always seemed to me that Xbox's goal was Gamepass and Xcloud, "Gaas" where players pay a subscription to play their games, use of "cloud games" where you don't need "certain hardware" to play ok... Then suddenly, they embrace a completely different model "F2P" with Candy Crush, CoD mobile, Diablo immortal.

Do they want to introduce subscription to play these games, similar to apple arcade? I honestly think it's a bad idea, f2P is king on cell phones and that's not going to change! I could be very wrong, but Gamepass and Xcloud don't really have much of a chance on mobile devices, they'll probably be successful on TVs in the living room, but not on cell phones and tablets.

honestly it seems to me that they want to invest in the 2 fronts, have F2P options and "Gaas" options.

Yep, Halo Infinite going f2p confused me as well. Perhaps there still is some tug of war going on at the top level. Maybe MS is just trying to put their eggs in all the baskets and see what works best.

It will be hard to get mobile phone users enrolled in a subscription model, but there are some ways. First as you said, seamlessly being able to continue at home on your tv is a big advantage. Plus the removal of all ads with a subscription and having access to a library of games that hasn't been on mobile phones before.

Anyway, you don't spend 69 billion to try to get some CoD players over to gamepass. Gamepass growth has not been hitting targets and just a percentage of the 6 billion smartphone market can provide some real growth.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/10/20/microsoft-missed-its-xbox-game-pass-targets-heres-why/?sh=97cd61040274
https://www.shacknews.com/article/128384/xbox-game-pass-misses-growth-goal-after-hitting-25-million-subscribers

Gamepass on console and PC couldn't have more going for it atm. The big games are out, people are stuck home again with the ongoing pandemic, Sony can't make more PS5 and has actually had to reduce production. The deals on GP have all reset and are as low as ever. (got my second $1 deal, this time for 3 months)

The mobile sector is the current/next target. Not enough growth nor revenue in the console/PC space.

i see your point. Also, yes, big screen will play a part on this, but i still think games "made for TV/monitor and controller/KBM" are not the better fit for mobile.

Shooter (FPS/TPS), turn based RPGs and perhaps racing are kinda "ok" fit, but still.... meh, IMHO, to make a "Big splash" on mobile market you need people to think "i need this on my mobile device" and not "i already have this for my big screen, so why not use on my mobile device!?".

I'm just a lawyer that likes to talk about game industry, but i don't think Gamepass, or "Xcloud", can do big numbers on "mobile"... as i said before, F2P is king and cellphones hardware is becoming crazy good, no reason to use cloud, just play using the hardware inside your phone and games that are made for your phone!!

That said, MS just made a great step on the F2P market! I'm not sure if $69Bi is a good deal for Call of Duty Mobile, Candy crush and other future stuff like Diablo mobile, but, as you said, they are not just thinking about consoles, there is a much bigger fish in the "ocean of 6Bi potential gamers" and they want money from them.

Pemalite said:

Just remember Microsoft is more than just Xbox.
They are fighting on the mobile front against the likes of Tencent, fighting the PC front against Steam, fighting the console front against Sony.

They are in 3 markets and want to push gamepass out to everything... And in order to appeal to $3 billion people, you need those small IP's.

With all due respect, why do they need "small IPs" for Mobile, Game Pass, or any other service?

Example: You have produced 2 games of equal quality, one called "Avowed" and the other called "Elder Scrolls:". I ask, which one do you think is more likely to succeed? And which one will make the biggest impact and possibly bring more people to Gamepass?

And the same goes for countless other examples:
Why make an excellent third-person action game called "Hell Blade: Senua's Saga", when I can make an excellent third-person action game called (hypothetically) "Diablo: The Beginning" that will have a much greater chance of success and does a better "headline" on gamepass!?

Why make something with "Fable" name, when they can make something with "Warcraft"!? Why keep doing "Psychonault" when they can make "Skylanders & Crash"? 

I'm not saying that Xbox will never create new IPs again, far from it, "novelties" are necessary sometimes. Creating something new and with "undefined" potential will happen, but I don't see any reason for them to invest in past IPs that  were "not successful" or "were modestly successful" when they can put money on their many "let's print money IPs" ...

I'm going to elaborate one thing better... I hope my words don't sound offensive or boastful.
There is only 1 reason not to use a "big and profitable IP", lack of trust in whoever makes the game. A bad job can hurt the reputation of a franchise (looking at you Sonic), and this may justify the existence of "smaller IPs", bad developers making bad games just to create numbers within Gamepass... of course, it also makes sense use these developers only to support "stronger studios", like making post-lauch support for games in the "Gaas" and "f2p" model.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 21 January 2022

Around the Network

Microsoft is trying to fill out Gamepass as much as possible.  One thing the most successful streaming services all have is a huge backlog of old stuff.  Netflix, Disney, Hulu, HBOmax all have a huge backlog of old content.  That is actually one big thing that Activision/Blizzard gives them that most people aren't talking about.  The Activision portion, especially, is a really old company that owns a lot of old games.  I think one thing they are going to do, possibly the first thing, is really increase the number of old games on Gamepass.

So, those old games do not actually bring new customers in, but they are hugely important for retention.  I know in 2020, I and a lot of my friends were going, "should I even keep this Disney+ subscription or cancel?"  Some of them canceled, but I and some others started looking at Disney's backlog.  So, I think Microsoft has to get those old games on Gamepass ASAP, and it shouldn't take too long to do it, at least not if we are going by one game at a time.  At the same time, they have to be developing the big games that will draw people in like CoD, Halo, Forza, ES6, Fallout, etc....

So, I guess they are going to do a balance of both.  I don't expect them to actually revive old IP's so much as maybe take a bunch of games from GOG and put them on Gamepass.  But I do expect them to market the hell out of major releases.  Those are the titles that will get the attention, but having a huge library of games, even really old games, will help retention a lot between major releases.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 20 January 2022