By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How is MS' Activision purchase going to affect the european market?

Tagged games:

It might impact the UK market but overall FIFA is still the top multiplayer game. You can't forget about Gran Turismo 7 either, if this is a return to form for the series, it will be a monster in Europe. For reference, Gran Turismo Sport charted just outside of the top 10 most downloaded PS4 games for 2021, the IP still has massive pull.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 19 January 2022

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
TheMiffedFeline said:

As I said, call of duty can bring in some money, but it's not what it once was.

The console games are selling like half of what they used to, but they're making more money than ever due to Warzone and mobile.

The big video game publisher said that both Call of Duty: Warzone, the battle royale mode for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare; and Call of Duty: Mobile drove demand for the quarter. A year ago, when Call of Duty: Warzone launched on March 11, the U.S. was just going into its first pandemic lockdown. Call of Duty ‘s premium game, Call of Duty: Black Ops — Cold War, has outsold Modern Warfare, in no small part to its integration with the free-to-play Warzone, which served to bring in new players and then make it easy for them to upgrade to the $60 game. Kotick said that Warzone reached 100 million downloads and its recently launched third season is going strong. At 500 million downloads, Call of Duty: Mobile also brought tens of millions of new players into the franchise.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/05/04/activision-blizzards-call-of-duty-drives-27-q1-2020-revenue-growth-to-2-28-billion/

Is there any evidence that a mobile version of a game has significantly impacted the sales of the mainline series? I dont see that doing much for the sales of the next release this November. Mobile users are fickle. They don't give a shit.

TheMiffedFeline said:
the-pi-guy said:

The console games are selling like half of what they used to, but they're making more money than ever due to Warzone and mobile.

The big video game publisher said that both Call of Duty: Warzone, the battle royale mode for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare; and Call of Duty: Mobile drove demand for the quarter. A year ago, when Call of Duty: Warzone launched on March 11, the U.S. was just going into its first pandemic lockdown. Call of Duty ‘s premium game, Call of Duty: Black Ops — Cold War, has outsold Modern Warfare, in no small part to its integration with the free-to-play Warzone, which served to bring in new players and then make it easy for them to upgrade to the $60 game. Kotick said that Warzone reached 100 million downloads and its recently launched third season is going strong. At 500 million downloads, Call of Duty: Mobile also brought tens of millions of new players into the franchise.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/05/04/activision-blizzards-call-of-duty-drives-27-q1-2020-revenue-growth-to-2-28-billion/

Is there any evidence that a mobile version of a game has significantly impacted the sales of the mainline series? I dont see that doing much for the sales of the next release this November. Mobile users are fickle. They don't give a shit.

Pokémon Sun/Moon had the biggest launch in the franchise thanks to Pokémon Go, but it didn't have much legs so the effect didn't last long.

Kakadu18 said:
TheMiffedFeline said:

Pokémon Sun/Moon had the biggest launch in the franchise thanks to Pokémon Go, but it didn't have much legs so the effect didn't last long.

Pokemon go was gigantic, so that doesn't surprise me. I see that as more of an exception than a rule because of how huge pokemon go was in 2016. The effect not lasting long also doesn't surprise me which goes back to my point about mobile users being fickle.