By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How is MS' Activision purchase going to affect the european market?

Tagged games:

As long as Fifa is on PlayStation, Sony can rest easy as far as Europe is concerned.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
TheMiffedFeline said:

He recited this list as if this stuff has the same weight as Mario, zelda, smash bros, Mario kart, animal crossing, and pokemon lol

Do you live in a nintendo bubble?

I live in a reality bubble. 

Bristow9091 said:
TheMiffedFeline said:

He recited this list as if this stuff has the same weight as Mario, zelda, smash bros, Mario kart, animal crossing, and pokemon lol

You're right, his list holds more weight if we're going off sales ;) 

Is that even true though? lol 

shikamaru317 said:
TheMiffedFeline said:

What are you two even talking about?

-CoD is massive, in case you didn't know. It is currently the 3rd highest selling game series of all time with over 400+ million sales, and Call of Duty Vanguard was one of the bestselling games of 2021, it outsold the Pokemon gen 4 remakes as far as I know. 

-Diablo 3 was one of the bestselling RPG's of all-time, it hit 30m sales within 3 years of it's release, and a further 6 years have passed since Blizzard released that 30m number, so it's probably more like 35m+ now. Diablo 4 is going to be pretty damn huge most likely.

-Overwatch was huge when it launched in 2016, it won many GOTY awards in 2016 and Blizzard reported that they made more than $1b in revenue from Overwatch in the first year, and 3 years after release they reported that the game had hit 50m players, and as of January 2021, a year ago, it had reached over 60m lifetime players. As of now Overwatch 1 is still the 18th most played game on Xbox even though it is 5 and a half years old. Overwatch 2 is most likely going to be pretty huge when it releases.

-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 Remake sold 1m in 2 weeks when it released in 2020, a respectable amount for sure.

-Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy sold 10m copies in 2 years, while Crash Bandicoot 4 sold less, but still a respectable amount. 

-Spyro Reignited Trilogy sold pretty well, for instance in the UK it released the same week as Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, and outsold each of them individually (though losing to both of them combined)

-Starcraft 2 sold 4.5m in it's first 6 months back in 2010, if Blizz ever decides to release Starcraft 3 I'm sure it will be a big seller. 

-Candy Crush is still one of the biggest mobile games even after 10 years on the market. In 2020 the game brought in over $1b in revenue for Activision, and supposedly the game still has 250m active players (people who play the game at least once a month)

The only franchise on pi's list that is dead imo is Guitar Hero, the latest Guitar Hero flopped and I can't see Xbox attempting to revive it.

As I said, call of duty can bring in some money, but it's not what it once was. The attitude of the average person who buys call of duty is something along the lines of "eh, I'll get it" then they play for a few weeks and either forget about it or trade it in. Call of duty isn't going to factor into somebody's decision to get an Xbox system over a PlayStation system. It'll move the needle a small bit. Diablo is solid, I'll give that a pass. The comparison of spyro to the pokemon let's go games is kind of laughable. You know that any mainline pokemon game is able to surpass anything on this list and crushes well over half the franchises on here. The crash remaster is the only conceivable version of crash that can achieve any noteworthy sales because of nostalgia. They aren't going to do that again, so that pickup is kind of worthless, but it's there. Candy Crush has definitely been a moneymaker, but we all know the number of people playing that is going to decline as the years pass. But at this point at least it's still worth something. I'm sure they could do something with starcraft and overwatch. 

All in all I think we can see that this purchase isn't going to move the needle that much. A lot of these sales come from the fact that people buy these games on multiple platforms, so you have to take that into consideration. I think MS paid too much and I don't think this is going to make that much of a difference in the European market. Unless activision comes up with some new hit, that could be a game changer. That's probably what they're betting on. 

the-pi-guy said:
eva01beserk said:

So only diablo? I guess theres not much loss then. 

Not much of a loss for hardcore gamers. Their biggest stuff is on PC.

But it's a huge effect on casual gamers who put a lot of money into games this forum doesn't care about, and often hasn't even heard of.

TheMiffedFeline said:

What? I just picked out various big franchises from their list.

I don't like or care about Microsoft or Activision, but those are generally decent sized franchises. Call of Duty by itself is bigger than half your list combined...  

The Call of Duty games aren't selling as much as they used to, but they're pulling in bigger revenue due to Warzone.

LOL ? ? ?  

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Considering how dominant Sony is, and how the sales in Europe move around the big multiplats, taking one of them and making it exclusive is definitively going to push the XBox way more that it has ever been done before. Will Sony keep their big advantage over there? Will they still lead, but only slightly?

CoD is not nearly as popular in Europe as it is in the US. I don't know about Diablo etc. The impact of this aquisition won't be that big.

That's what I've been trying to tell these guys. Maybe they'll listen to you. My post count might not be big enough yet. 

TheMiffedFeline said:
the-pi-guy said:

Not much of a loss for hardcore gamers. Their biggest stuff is on PC.

But it's a huge effect on casual gamers who put a lot of money into games this forum doesn't care about, and often hasn't even heard of.

TheMiffedFeline said:

What? I just picked out various big franchises from their list.

I don't like or care about Microsoft or Activision, but those are generally decent sized franchises. Call of Duty by itself is bigger than half your list combined...  

The Call of Duty games aren't selling as much as they used to, but they're pulling in bigger revenue due to Warzone.

LOL 😆 🤣 😂  

I also laughed at that. Maybe a few years ago before they milked the hell out of it. Now people buy it just cus its there on the hollidays.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

the-pi-guy said:
TheMiffedFeline said:

As I said, call of duty can bring in some money, but it's not what it once was.

The console games are selling like half of what they used to, but they're making more money than ever due to Warzone and mobile.

The big video game publisher said that both Call of Duty: Warzone, the battle royale mode for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare; and Call of Duty: Mobile drove demand for the quarter. A year ago, when Call of Duty: Warzone launched on March 11, the U.S. was just going into its first pandemic lockdown. Call of Duty ‘s premium game, Call of Duty: Black Ops — Cold War, has outsold Modern Warfare, in no small part to its integration with the free-to-play Warzone, which served to bring in new players and then make it easy for them to upgrade to the $60 game. Kotick said that Warzone reached 100 million downloads and its recently launched third season is going strong. At 500 million downloads, Call of Duty: Mobile also brought tens of millions of new players into the franchise.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/05/04/activision-blizzards-call-of-duty-drives-27-q1-2020-revenue-growth-to-2-28-billion/

The thing about this deal is that warzone wont be removed from the PlayStation store. The only thing that might be removed is the yearly installments and maybe in 2023. But it might be to late since the deal ends in june 2023 so we might not see an exclusive COD untill 2024. While the big money maker warzone will remain. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

the-pi-guy said:

The console games are selling like half of what they used to, but they're making more money than ever due to Warzone and mobile.

The big video game publisher said that both Call of Duty: Warzone, the battle royale mode for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare; and Call of Duty: Mobile drove demand for the quarter. A year ago, when Call of Duty: Warzone launched on March 11, the U.S. was just going into its first pandemic lockdown. Call of Duty ‘s premium game, Call of Duty: Black Ops — Cold War, has outsold Modern Warfare, in no small part to its integration with the free-to-play Warzone, which served to bring in new players and then make it easy for them to upgrade to the $60 game. Kotick said that Warzone reached 100 million downloads and its recently launched third season is going strong. At 500 million downloads, Call of Duty: Mobile also brought tens of millions of new players into the franchise.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/05/04/activision-blizzards-call-of-duty-drives-27-q1-2020-revenue-growth-to-2-28-billion/

I didn't consider how a F2P model takes away from mainline Call of Duty sales. It could work out really well for Sony in the long run, depending on if they find a few multiplayer hits to fill the gaps, whether it be through partnerships or internal studios. While Sony didn't really have any huge multiplayer hits apart from GTS, we actually got a lot of them last generation: Fortnite, Rocket League, Apex Legends, Destiny, Genshin Impact, PUBG, etc.

eva01beserk said:
TheMiffedFeline said:

LOL 😆 🤣 😂  

I also laughed at that. Maybe a few years ago before they milked the hell out of it. Now people buy it just cus its there on the hollidays.

Exactly. I'm sure he going to cite lifetime sales for the entire series, and no doubt call of duty was out of control for awhile. But let's be realistic here. Call of duty TODAY has nowhere near the value of half those series I listed. All I could do was lol