By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Battle of the 3D debuts: Mario 64 vs Ocarina of Time vs Metroid Prime

Which is the best?

Mario 64 16 29.09%

Ocarina of Time 25 45.45%

Metroid Prime 14 25.45%

Total:55
RolStoppable said:
TheMiffedFeline said:

Well super metroid is better than metroid prime and that came out 8 years earlier, so that's a pretty big hole for this little theory you've concocted here.

Super Metroid wasn't an N64 game.

yeah it was on the super nintendo, remember?

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

Metroid Prime. It's the only one of the three that hasn't aged a bit. A masterpiece when it came out in 2002, still a masterpiece 20 years later. Both OoT and specially Mario 64 feel clunky and outdated in both graphics and gameplay and have been surpassed by pretty much every major entry that came after them. Masterpieces when released... Ok games nowadays.

Graphically maybe. But have you played M64 and OoT lately?? Granted I haven't played OoT since the N64 days, but M64 is still a masterpiece. Sure its levels are small and the game in general isn't very long compared to current Mario, but playing through it on the 3D All-Stars in 2020 was amazing. Definitely wayyyyyyyyy better than just an 'ok game' nowadays. That'd be like saying Super Mario Bros 3 is just an ok game nowadays just because 2d games are way more advanced now. Great gameplay doesn't age, and I can say with certainty that Mario 64 still feels and plays incredible today. I'm guessing it's much the same for OoT. There are certainly games from the N64 that haven't aged well, but these are not those. All three of the games in this thread were amazing when they came out and are still amazing to play today. Sure, graphically Prime has obviously aged less, but none of them have aged in terms of gameplay.

Slownenberg said:
Vodacixi said:

Metroid Prime. It's the only one of the three that hasn't aged a bit. A masterpiece when it came out in 2002, still a masterpiece 20 years later. Both OoT and specially Mario 64 feel clunky and outdated in both graphics and gameplay and have been surpassed by pretty much every major entry that came after them. Masterpieces when released... Ok games nowadays.

Graphically maybe. But have you played M64 and OoT lately?? Granted I haven't played OoT since the N64 days, but M64 is still a masterpiece. Sure its levels are small and the game in general isn't very long compared to current Mario, but playing through it on the 3D All-Stars in 2020 was amazing. Definitely wayyyyyyyyy better than just an 'ok game' nowadays. That'd be like saying Super Mario Bros 3 is just an ok game nowadays just because 2d games are way more advanced now. Great gameplay doesn't age, and I can say with certainty that Mario 64 still feels and plays incredible today. I'm guessing it's much the same for OoT. There are certainly games from the N64 that haven't aged well, but these are not those. All three of the games in this thread were amazing when they came out and are still amazing to play today. Sure, graphically Prime has obviously aged less, but none of them have aged in terms of gameplay.

Yeah I also feel like all three still qualify as great games today. Ocarina and Mario are obviously a bit ugly graphically due to their age, but that didn't stop me having an awesome time when I last revisited them.

I have never played Metroid Prime, but I can say Ocarina of Time aged a lot better than Mario 64, so OoT gets my vote.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Ran this poll on three forums and the results were interesting, to me anyway.

Ocarina of Time won on all three forums, but while Mario 64 led Prime on here and on Famiboards, on IGN Prime was ahead of Mario significantly.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Slownenberg said:

Yeah I also feel like all three still qualify as great games today. Ocarina and Mario are obviously a bit ugly graphically due to their age, but that didn't stop me having an awesome time when I last revisited them.

And honestly with the upgraded resolution of Mario 64 on 3D All-Stars that's like really all it needed. I'm sure playing the old standard def of N64 would look a bit blurry these days, but I thought the 3D All-stars game looked great and sharp. I mean you know you're playing an N64 game so it's not like you expect modern graphics. To me the graphics were perfectly fine and nice and crisp.