By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gods Unchained: an NFT/blockchain game done right! (play to earn)

NFTs are shit. Don't even try to defend that garbage. People are without power because of blockchains. Fuck NFTs. I don't give a flying fuck if Zone of the Enders 3 was made and the best ZOE ever if it was supported by NFTs. Your game is shit just for being in the same breath as an NFT.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

BAN

Captain_Yuri said:

I am not interested in this game so I'll skip regardless but I'd like to know how they make money cause there's no such thing as a free lunch. Especially one where they give you money...

My questions like me are simple what is it doing that couldn't be done without it being in the game, and how exactly is it enhancing the game?

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

JimmyFantasy said:
Eagle367 said:

NFTs are never done right

In this case (and in my opinion) they are because thanks to NFT this game works exactly like an actual physical card game, except you do not have physical copies of the cards.

Just to make an example: You could keep playing this game forever as you like since you own that cards. You or any other developer in the world could recreate another game client to play this card game even if the main developer of the game cease activity, go bankruptcy or shut down the servers. You own your decks and cards, stored on blockchain, indefinitely.

Blockchain isn't any more 'indefinite' than Steam accounts, MS accounts, or whatever other information system on the internet. In fact, it's less 'indefinite' since blockchain will be worthless if ever hacked. There is no central back up. It's also worthless when people stop mining. It's only secure and 'indefinite' as long as bitcoin miners keep the thing going.

Any other developer is still bound by copyright when creating a game using those cards.

Other developers still have to make a game that honors you having those cards, on what incentive actually?

You own nothing. All you have is a little scribble in a file, that you have the password to, which says you have the right to play a certain card in a game. However every time you buy, sell or trade a card, the earth dies a little faster... Faster than buying, selling, trading actual physical cards. Which you do actually own and developers can also make new games for using those cards. But why would they, if they can sell you new cards...

NFTs are only 'hot' because of people falling for the get rich quick scheme. Although any value is superficial. It's only worth something as long as there are still fools around willing to part with their money to 'get rich quick'.

Trading packs is nothing new, for example
https://www.playerauctions.com/pokemon-tcg-online-items/174832704i!25-xy-evolution-pack-codes/
No need for NFTs.

Why are publishers behind this? Because of this
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-15-konami-earns-over-gbp118-000-from-that-castlevania-nft-auction

Konami also stands to make more money from the auctioned items, as the publisher nets a stunning 10 per cent royalty should an NFT item be sold on again.

So which is it, do you own it or not? Why would the original owner get a royalty when you sell 'your' stuff to someone else. When I sell my house, do I pay 10% or the transaction to the architect of the house? It's a scam, why are people falling for it.

NFT seems like just taking something and calling it non-fungible when it is actually fungible.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

BAN

? sorry but i was only trying to describe my first experience with this new type of game economy.. I know it's a quite controversial argument. ?

anyway, we are still talking about video games, not gambling.

mjk45 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I am not interested in this game so I'll skip regardless but I'd like to know how they make money cause there's no such thing as a free lunch. Especially one where they give you money...

My questions like me are simple what is it doing that couldn't be done without it being in the game, and how exactly is it enhancing the game?

1. If cards weren't NFT (on ethereum in this case) they would be associated with your account on a company main server. If said company ceases business activity or shutdown the servers for any reason you could lose everything you obtained in hours of gaming. --> being cards NFTs on a shared decentralized network they are recorded there forever, you can requests them in case, you could sell them on every third-party store or play them via a third-party unofficial future app. You have rights to play those cards as you like, they are yours, not of the company.

2. Let's take a similar game, Magic Arena. It's a typical game where you buy card packs and use them in-game to enhance your decks. The difference is you can't sell or trade them. So if the company moves on, release a new future app not compatible with the current users account, you lose everything you bought. --> being cards NFTs, you can resell and trade them as you like, on the official store or on any other markets available on the network. You could even send them directy to a friend for free.

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 17 January 2022

SvennoJ said:
JimmyFantasy said:

In this case (and in my opinion) they are because thanks to NFT this game works exactly like an actual physical card game, except you do not have physical copies of the cards.

Just to make an example: You could keep playing this game forever as you like since you own that cards. You or any other developer in the world could recreate another game client to play this card game even if the main developer of the game cease activity, go bankruptcy or shut down the servers. You own your decks and cards, stored on blockchain, indefinitely.

Blockchain isn't any more 'indefinite' than Steam accounts, MS accounts, or whatever other information system on the internet. In fact, it's less 'indefinite' since blockchain will be worthless if ever hacked. There is no central back up. It's also worthless when people stop mining. It's only secure and 'indefinite' as long as bitcoin miners keep the thing going.

Any other developer is still bound by copyright when creating a game using those cards.

Other developers still have to make a game that honors you having those cards, on what incentive actually?

You own nothing. All you have is a little scribble in a file, that you have the password to, which says you have the right to play a certain card in a game. However every time you buy, sell or trade a card, the earth dies a little faster... Faster than buying, selling, trading actual physical cards. Which you do actually own and developers can also make new games for using those cards. But why would they, if they can sell you new cards...

NFTs are only 'hot' because of people falling for the get rich quick scheme. Although any value is superficial. It's only worth something as long as there are still fools around willing to part with their money to 'get rich quick'.

https://www.playerauctions.com/pokemon-tcg-online-items/174832704i!25-xy-evolution-pack-codes/
No need for NFTs.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-15-konami-earns-over-gbp118-000-from-that-castlevania-nft-auction

Konami also stands to make more money from the auctioned items, as the publisher nets a stunning 10 per cent royalty should an NFT item be sold on again.

So which is it, do you own it or not? Why would the original owner get a royalty when you sell 'your' stuff to someone else. When I sell my house, do I pay 10% or the transaction to the architect of the house? It's a scam, why are people falling for it.

Exactly it's a ponzi scheme by any other name.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

NFTs are scams

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

SvennoJ said:
JimmyFantasy said:

No need for NFTs.

You have made several good points in your argumentation.

And in some ways you are right.

For example, I agree with you that selling (and buying) simple jpegs for hundred or thousand dollars is totally absurd!

However, I don't think we can consider a blockchain capabilities at the same level of a centralized company's account server. We all already have experience with peer-to-peer decentralized networks like bittorrent or emule, and we know they are here for years, and here to stay, because they have added a very useful service to the human community in sharing files across the globe. Blockchain is simply the next step, in my opinion.

About Earth and climate damage produced by networks of PCs, yeah that's a fact. But we have to consider that everything humans create or produce is harmful to the environment. Industrial activities, consumism/capitalism, deforestation etc. Blockchain networks adds in but it's a new tech that is in need of further development on this front. For example, the new "proof of stake" blockchains are 1000 times less energy hungry then the old "proof of work" chains. It's a matter of time, this important issue will be resolved.

Now, let me make an example applied to videogames companies where the use of NFTs could be a real win for players.

You surely remember the old Wii/3DS era where we did buy old roms for the Nintendo virtual console. We bought a catalog of games for it, then what happened? Nintendo shut down the service resulting in losing our paid collections of videogames. What if they were NFTs? If I had bought a copy of Super Mario Bros. for the NES, I would have granted a right on this copy, a digital copy of this particular NES game. In this scenario, even if Nintendo shut down the service, I would still be able to legally play my game on any other device (PC, consoles, smartphones etc, even next Nintendo console) running a NES emulator because I am legally a owner of the NES digital version of Super Mario Bros. Thinks about Sega, how many times they sold and resold their old MegaDrive library of games to us? Wouldn't be nicer to buy a digital copy of Sonic the Hedgehog once and be able to play it indefinitely, not depending on a single platform or service?

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 17 January 2022