By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Outer Worlds Backlog Review - I did smile at the writing, though

Tagged games:

Yup, you guessed right: the sarcastic teaser trailer for The Outer Worlds 2 got me to try out the first one. Is this more of that Fallout/Bioshock stuff many of us love so much? And if so, does it differentiate itself enough?

Full written version for the video-allergics: https://zyro-eg.com/2022/01/13/the-outer-worlds-backlog-review/

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Great review and a great game. Really looking forward to the sequel with a higher Xbox budget behind it running on Unreal 5, should be a real masterpiece.

Indeed, my hope is the budget is big enough that they can bring the graphics and content up a notch.  It doesn't have to be THE AAA FPS RPG experience, leave that to Starfield and/or Elder Scrolls, but just one more notch would make it better justify being a full price game in the same vein as its competition!

^^/

i felt levelscaling was a bit out of balance, which slowed my progress and hand me killed quite a few times on the planet with all the bugs. outside that and it being reasonably thin on sidequests compared to elder scrolls/ fall out, I enjoyed it and hope it becomes a mainstay

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

It was fine but the lack of exploration really was an dissapointing experience with a lot of talking.

ZyroXZ2 said:

Yup, you guessed right: the sarcastic teaser trailer for The Outer Worlds 2 got me to try out the first one. Is this more of that Fallout/Bioshock stuff many of us love so much? And if so, does it differentiate itself enough?

Full written version for the video-allergics: https://zyro-eg.com/2022/01/13/the-outer-worlds-backlog-review/

Haven't got around to watching the review attention span of a gnat and all that, but my take on outer worlds after finishing the game was it had excellent  writing and great characters but all of that was let down by being wrapped inside a very average game, it gave me the sense that apart from the already mentioned spot on and up to date writing and characters the rest was stuck in a previous gen time warp.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 15 January 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

I really enjoyed this one, in fact I would probably pick it as my GOTY for 2019.
I was really impressed by the sheer range of choice available to the player, as well as by the superb writing and just how polished it was compared to a lot of games of its kind which tend to be rather buggy.

I have yet to finish the game after two attempts but, relative to the parts I did play, I thought it was bland and generic with a lot of superfluous dialogue. It was like a Borderlands without the elements that make those games unique and fun. Combat was nothing, exploration was a big fat nothing, and the fetch quests felt meaningless. I would see a group of buildings, get there, and find out it was exactly that--just a group of buildings. None of the characters I met were memorable and they really should have hired a good editor to make the script less tedious. It also seemed to lean on "choices" just being to help Side A or Side B with nothing in the middle. In terms of giving you an interesting and entertaining world to explore, this isn't even in the same solar system as Fallout 4, so I don't see them as being directly comparable.

It was an aggressively average experience.

Some other complaints are that character creation was absolutely horrible and I had to download a mod to keep from getting sick with all the visual "effects". Oh, and I've heard it has a slideshow ending, which makes me far less enthusiastic about finishing it. Slideshow endings for this kind of game are flat-out unacceptable.

There just isn't much to the game one way or another. If it had been developed and published by Ubisoft or EA, the meta-score would have been significantly lower.

Hopefully, Microsoft's money will address all or most of these issues and not just end up funding more voice acting that I'm going to skip through anyway. There is the foundation for something here but it needs a LOT of work. Otherwise, they'd be better off going the Disco Elysium route and dropping traditional combat.

axumblade said:

I loved the humor and the overall demeanor of the game. Also, I loved the inclusion of an Asexual character. A lot of my friends identify as Ace so it's really cool to see representation on that front. The only issue I ran into was that I kept experiencing glitches.... Though, admittedly, my OG PS4 was struggling through several games at the time (Control and TOW were the worst offenders though.

I'm excited because with Outer Worlds, it had potential but with Microsoft buying Obsidian, I feel like it's going to have a much larger budget.

I think budget is basically a core issue, though a lot of the times... money is, indeed, the factor in how long it takes and how much effort is put into games lol

konnichiwa said:

It was fine but the lack of exploration really was an dissapointing experience with a lot of talking.

I can't disagree that the maps felt much smaller than I had anticipated, especially with the genre giants it's up against.

curl-6 said:

I really enjoyed this one, in fact I would probably pick it as my GOTY for 2019.
I was really impressed by the sheer range of choice available to the player, as well as by the superb writing and just how polished it was compared to a lot of games of its kind which tend to be rather buggy.

I think a large part of that is because of the lack of complexity.  It's been brought up many times before, but a large part of the reason "old" games weren't as buggy was because they were also far simpler than what we do and expect in modern gaming.

pokoko said:

I have yet to finish the game after two attempts but, relative to the parts I did play, I thought it was bland and generic with a lot of superfluous dialogue. It was like a Borderlands without the elements that make those games unique and fun. Combat was nothing, exploration was a big fat nothing, and the fetch quests felt meaningless. I would see a group of buildings, get there, and find out it was exactly that--just a group of buildings. None of the characters I met were memorable and they really should have hired a good editor to make the script less tedious. It also seemed to lean on "choices" just being to help Side A or Side B with nothing in the middle. In terms of giving you an interesting and entertaining world to explore, this isn't even in the same solar system as Fallout 4, so I don't see them as being directly comparable.

It was an aggressively average experience.

Some other complaints are that character creation was absolutely horrible and I had to download a mod to keep from getting sick with all the visual "effects". Oh, and I've heard it has a slideshow ending, which makes me far less enthusiastic about finishing it. Slideshow endings for this kind of game are flat-out unacceptable.

There just isn't much to the game one way or another. If it had been developed and published by Ubisoft or EA, the meta-score would have been significantly lower.

Hopefully, Microsoft's money will address all or most of these issues and not just end up funding more voice acting that I'm going to skip through anyway. There is the foundation for something here but it needs a LOT of work. Otherwise, they'd be better off going the Disco Elysium route and dropping traditional combat.

I can't argue with most of what you're saying even if you're leveraging some heavy criticism, especially the ending and lack of world consequences.  But the "this or that" decision-making is really something I wouldn't say is the issue: sometimes things are like that in life lol... In FACT, the reason The Witcher 1 was so enthralling to me was because it put you in a lot of "this or that" grey area situations and decisions...  Making the hard choices, I think, is something lacking in today's games.  While I appreciate the "always a way out" thing (mentioned in the review, even), I also feel like forcing this-or-that better enforces the ability to understand both sides of the equation before coming to said choice.

^^/