By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Possible Constant Mii Code For All Online Wii Games

This is only a rumour as of now since Nintendo hasn't said anything but it comes from a pretty good source. It's a long shot but it could be true.

Taken from http://www.thewiire.com

In an interview conducted by French publication Gamers.fr, Producer for Mario Strikers Charged Justin Dowdeswell stated that a player's Mii(s) will contain a Mii code that will be used across all Wii online games.

According to Dowdeswell, "Each Mii generates a Mii code that remains constant. This code will be used for all online titles in the future." The comment suggests that rather than deal with game-specific friend codes with individual friends list, players will choose a Mii to act as their online identity.

Under this notion, different members of a household with their own Miis could maintain individual friends lists, which would be centralized across all online games. Because each Wii acts as a miniature server where Miis are stored, the connection established would be peer-to-peer (P2P). Nintendo would only be responsible for match-making.

Dowdeswell assured that the team achieved its goals with the online infastructure in Charged. "We have some guys who worked on Xbox Live, and we've worked closely with Nintendo on this," he said. "We haven't compromised at all, and the result is exactly what we had hoped."

When asked how players would actually get online, Dowdeswell said, "In the menu, there's a special [Nintendo] WFC icon. You can see a random list of players from your continent, or play with your friends. Players will be ranked by stars, and the max number of players is four. Only two Wiis can be connected... so to play with four you need two people on each Wii." The regions list for Charged consists of North America, Europe, Japan, and Australia.

Next Level Games also implemented a "Striker of the Day" feature in Charged. "The player with the most victories that day will have the honor of having [his or her] Mii on the front page of the online mode the next day," Dosdeswell mentioned. "Each player connected to the NWFC will see the name of this player. What's more, regional rankings will be periodically reset to give everybody a chance to try to get to the top of the charts."

Mario Strikers Charged, which released in Europe on May 25, is expected to arrive in North America on July 30. Although Charged is the first online Wii title from Nintendo in Europe, it will be the third in Japan and the United States, after Pokemon Battle Revolution and Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree.

The full Gamers.fr interview can be found here.

Will this be the final piece of the online puzzle? The Wiire will be calling every Nintendo representative and their mothers for answers.

Around the Network

Now THAT would be awesome!

Not awesome, they should have used the WII code instead of those stupid friendscodes. I can't stand it either that the server decides to which player I have to play and also no worldwide online gaming pretty much sucks as well.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

I wish I could source the article I read about the rumor of Nintendo having negotiations with Xfire. Maybe if that ever was true that fell through. I can see where you could be unsatisfied with this system, I personally don't think its that bad. Maybe they did it this way to organize your personal list more? If everyone in your house uses the Wii and it was all done through your Wii number, or one central account it would be a somewhat sloppy online experience I think. Everyones friends wouldn't know who was using the system, etc.

Using the Wii code only isn't ideal either but it's a lot better than a code for every single game, which has the same flaw of only one friends list per game so multiple people can't use the same one anyway.

Around the Network
WiiGirl76 said:
Not awesome, they should have used the WII code instead of those stupid friendscodes. I can't stand it either that the server decides to which player I have to play and also no worldwide online gaming pretty much sucks as well.

No, very awesome. More than one person in my household plays my Wii. Ill very much enjoy having a completelt different gamer ID and friends list than they do, thankya. But this is old news. Search IGN. They already confirmed this is what is happening. BBA Wii is made the same way. It also pulls your friends from your console and incorporates them in other games. So you only enter a FC one time for a friend. You can have as many gamer ID's as you have Miis, but the Mii code will never change. If you look up the information on Madden, supposedly its online uses Mii's too. Wouldnt surprise me if this is the way things are going to work. As for worldwide gaming, we only have 1 real online Wii game. And its only out in one country. And its the first, AND you can play worldwide against people who you have added as friends. Its only when you play in random matches that it is region only.

IMO give them some time, they just totally removed the hassle and confusion with FC, no longer will you have to put in 356 digits per game for each friend. And they have one game out only. How about waiting to see if BW this september is worldwide, or if Madden 08 is. 

And I have no idea what you mean about the server deciding who you play. If you want to play specific people then thats what the codes are for. If you dont want to play anyone in particular, then well..... join a random game with random people. 

Very nice. Now people are complaining about how many friend codes/wii codes they have to use, instead of the fact that they have to use either one. I think that is a step forward in the Wii online debates.