By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Party Superstars Review - Gives the middle finger to everyone who bought Super Mario Party!

Nintendo did all the people who bought Super Mario Party dirty by completely ignoring its existence and releasing a remake of older Mario Party games. But they DID bring proper online matchmaking. Is it enough, though?

Full written version because y'all can't handle the cowboy persona lol: https://zyro-eg.com/2021/12/16/mario-party-superstars-review/

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

See my problem with this perspective is SMP was so fundamentally broken mechanically as a Mario Party game that they would have to completely change its mechanics (which they did in this new one) for it to be good. I understand why it feels like a slap in the face though, should have given owners of Super a significant discount to get this game

TheWalrusCaesar said:

See my problem with this perspective is SMP was so fundamentally broken mechanically as a Mario Party game that they would have to completely change its mechanics (which they did in this new one) for it to be good. I understand why it feels like a slap in the face though, should have given owners of Super a significant discount to get this game

While I obviously dodged the bullet of SMP, it couldn't have been THAT mechanically different.  I feel like you're speaking hyperbole when you say "completely change" its mechanics, Mario Party IS Mario Party, there isn't much fundamentally different between the games in concept or execution, just design (different boards with different strats, minigames).

Though it's clear we're all in agreeance Nintendo sure as hell dropped the ball by releasing a brand new remake at full price in the face of Super Mario Party existing on the same platform lol

^^/

I dunno man, every Mario Party is tied for last place IMO.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

ZyroXZ2 said:
TheWalrusCaesar said:

While I obviously dodged the bullet of SMP, it couldn't have been THAT mechanically different.  I feel like you're speaking hyperbole when you say "completely change" its mechanics, Mario Party IS Mario Party, there isn't much fundamentally different between the games in concept or execution, just design (different boards with different strats, minigames).

Though it's clear we're all in agreeance Nintendo sure as hell dropped the ball by releasing a brand new remake at full price in the face of Super Mario Party existing on the same platform lol

As someone who has played every game, it genuinely was just broken mechanically. The items were all bad, it was entirely motion based minigames pretty much, and the game was based on these character dice and partner system mechanics that just weren't fun at all. If Superstars was made with those mechanics, it would have been a shit game just like Super

Around the Network

I just subscribed! I didn't know you were still making videos. I loved the "Wii U five" days.

1doesnotsimply

TheWalrusCaesar said:

Why would anybody ever get a discount for buying a sequel 3 years later?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

ZyroXZ2 said:
TheWalrusCaesar said:

Ahem, the N64 had 3 Mario Party games, the Gamecube 4, the Wii 2, the 3DS 3. Only the DS (for whatever reason), Gameboy Advance and Wii U had only one. The Switch getting a second Mario Party is completely expected and normal. Nobody gets a discount for next year sports game or CoD because they got the last one and here we have a three year gap between entries.

Edit: sorry, answered wrong person. Meant to answer @TheWalrusCaesar

Leynos said:

I dunno man, every Mario Party is tied for last place IMO.

That's also a bit hyperbolic to say lol... I'm pretty sure just about every Nintendo fan has some fond (or not so fond if you think about it haha!) memory of Mario Party at some point.  It's a pretty long-standing franchise at this point and hardly bottom of the barrel for Nintendo.  That's more Mario Tennis or Mario Golf (though those, too, have their "place", and I actually enjoy both of those franchises in occasional toe-dips).

TheWalrusCaesar said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

As someone who has played every game, it genuinely was just broken mechanically. The items were all bad, it was entirely motion based minigames pretty much, and the game was based on these character dice and partner system mechanics that just weren't fun at all. If Superstars was made with those mechanics, it would have been a shit game just like Super

I DO remember reading discontent about motion minigames, though I feel like "gamers" still just have that laziness they don't want to admit to and fearful self-image of swinging around a Wiimote or Joy Con.  I'll gladly look like a moron in front of other people if I'm having fun, but I think this was the actual crux of the "waggle" dilemma and why the Wii mostly captured "casuals" who are actually just more normal people that want to have fun.  "Gamers" always lambast motion controls, but its a hidden insecurity about how they view themselves and how "dumb" they feel swinging stuff around.  I actually (believe it or not) had MORE fun with motion minigames back in the Wii era of Mario Party simply because of ridiculous it was.  I guess I'm just stating that I don't feel motion-based minigames are a problem lol

But per above, I dodged SMP, so I can't really state much on the mechanics.  I still stick with my statement above, though: it can't possibly have so drastically altered the core formula that they know they cannot change.  If you told me SMP wasn't about rolling dice and making your way around a board and playing minigames, then I'd be shocked af

FarleyMcFirefly said:

I just subscribed! I didn't know you were still making videos. I loved the "Wii U five" days.

Oh mannnnnnn, you've been around a REALLLL long time!  That's wayyy in the beginning, and stopped being the case a little less than two years in lol

But uhhhh, a lot's changed since then, including my decision on a perma-persona lmfao

Kakadu18 said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Ahem, the N64 had 3 Mario Party games, the Gamecube 4, the Wii 2, the 3DS 3. Only the DS (for whatever reason), Gameboy Advance and Wii U had only one. The Switch getting a second Mario Party is completely expected and normal. Nobody gets a discount for next year sports game or CoD because they got the last one and here we have a three year gap between entries.

Edit: sorry, answered wrong person. Meant to answer @TheWalrusCaesar

In his defense, we're talking about the Switch, as in a modern enough system where DLC, patching, and other modern features allow games to be continually expanded.  AND they already proved they know how to do that: just look at Animal Crossing or Smash.  They could have easily added MPS to SMP as even a separate "DLC" playable area (like, you choose which "land" you're going to).

It's 2021, we have games like Destiny and Destiny 2 that dramatically extended the life of their games through add-on content, and even Fortnite has completely revamped its graphics importing into whole new graphics engines along the way.  Warframe has also upgraded its graphics along the way, so if a "new" game barely offers much on its previous entry on the same platform in the modern era, it's a bit of an obvious cash grab that isn't quite fair to the consumer any more.  And we, as consumers, have all gotten older and wiser (hopefully), and it stands to reason we'd put our foot down and make different choices with our buying power based on how we're treated by multi-billion dollar corporations.

^^/

Superstars is the counterpart to Super Mario Party. Speaking as more of a traditionalist who favors the N64 and early Cube stuff I'm biased towards this rendition, and I'm the demographic the game was aiming for. More of the nostalgic bent/older audience. But Super MP definitely has its place, with the new modes like Co-op and stressing the refined motion controls. I enjoyed it overall (esp with friends) but seems to vibe more with the younger audience.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden