By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

S.Peelman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Nobody taking guesses huh. Well added some extra hints and a few more games

50) Like the titular characters, this series was believed to be extinct until...

49) Silver in sales of all time

48) Indiana Jones wouldn't be fond of this remake mainly because of the title

47) Or this entry in the same franchise ^

46) One of the games that you die most often in. As in really really often and the game likes to remind you of this after you win

45) It's starting to seem like this PS4 exclusive might have been the start of something larger. Not surprising considering its sales

44) The 4 playable characters from the first game become NPCs in this second entry

43) This game likes reversing things. Names, structures...

49: Super Mario Bros.

46: Does Dark Souls tell you this?

45: Horizon Zero Dawn

I'll probably go "Oh" and facepalm when I know some of the others, like the Indiana Jones one, but it's hard.

No to all of them unfortunately. In 46 you die waay more often than Dark Souls, 45 does fit Horizon but it's not that. Glad my hints aren't too easy :D

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

50) Like the titular characters, this series was believed to be extinct until...

46) One of the games that you die most often in. As in really really often and the game likes to remind you of this after you win

45) It's starting to seem like this PS4 exclusive might have been the start of something larger. Not surprising considering its sales

44) The 4 playable characters from the first game become NPCs in this second entry

48: Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

47: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

45: I'd probably have guessed Horizon like S.Peelman but I'll go Spider-Man, as it looks like it's starting a shared marvel universe of marvel games with wolverine etc.

44: Borderlands 2

Right across the board :D

Seems you lucked out with Peelman going before you on 45.

Kakadu18 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

#49: GTA V

Yup that's the one.

Mnementh said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

#50: Metroid Dread?

Exactly

mZuzek said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

46) One of the games that you die most often in. As in really really often and the game likes to remind you of this after you win.

I know I shouldn't, but hey, I don't got everyone's lists memorized in my head. This sounds like Super Meat Boy to me.

When you're right you're right. Indie classic.

Guessed by Darashiva

Another one of those blackbox games here on the list in large part due to its early influence on my life, is 'Duck Hunt'. Duck Hunt is what the title says; you hunt ducks. But, this is probably the most famous and really, the quintessential lightgun game, making use of the iconic NES Zapper. I still have the one I used back then, a bright orange one, after I could secure it, but that's a long story. Anyway, the game is light on content, and there's only two modes; shooting ducks or shooting clay pigeons. Obviously, the second one isn't as fun.

The star of the show is the dog, immortalised in Super Smash Bros. decades later as the "Duck Hunt Dog", who is guilty for getting me into gaming. I liked to play outside, an alien concept I know, but my cousin lured me in to play some video games using Duck Hunt at first. For a young mind, I guess watching the dog going after the ducks and laughing at you when you miss was pretty hypnotising. I'm not sure if this really was my first ever played game, but it sure isn't far off. In any case, I'm here now because of Duck Hunt, though another game later in the list could also claim this influence.

And next batch of hints. The last one for #47, and the first one for #43.

#47: It looks like you stranded on a lovely island, if it weren't for that bird.

Hint 2: The centrepiece of this island is a large tower with what looks like a big keyhole.

Hint 3: At the end though, there's quite the twist, when it seems like this island wasn't actually real, and was just in the mind of the one that mourns you. So sad.

Hint 4: The depiction of the island, and your character, really portrayed a father's process in coming to grips with the loss of his son, your character, and he imagines guiding his son back to him, through the use of a figure with a red cape, and a magical fox.

#45: After the end of the second game, this third game starts when the space station of the antagonist crashes, freeing an evil mask with a name that's the exact opposite of the name of your close one-extra-hit protector friend. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

#44: In Europe this game came three years after the original release in Japan, but it became a massive phenomenon nonetheless. Pokémon Blue Version - Guessed by Zippy6

#43: Perhaps a hard game to guess and make hints for, but a certain console maker used to make a series of sports games of which the first word (though there's also a game with this first word that's not a sports game) was always the same. This game has something to do with yellow balls.

Around the Network

Alright I'm gonna be sorta out for a little so I'm gonna throw out some hints to all my games up til 40. Most of them are very easy I think

#47 - the start to probably the biggest horror game franchise - Guessed by Zippy6
#46 - One of the central characters introduced here share’s the name of Mike Wazowski’s buddy - Guessed by Zippy6
#45 - Red blobs slowly fight you in virtual reality - Guessed by Zippy6
#44 - Blink and you miss it
#43 - the box art prominently displays a deemed mostly useless motion based peripheral - Guessed by S.Peelman
#42 - Finishing the fight
#41 - A game where you forcibly deprive an innocent animal of his position in power he had previously held for over 10 years - Guessed by Zippy6

Last edited by TheWalrusCaesar - on 14 November 2021

TheWalrusCaesar said:

Alright I'm gonna be sorta out for a little so I'm gonna throw out some hints to all my games up til 40. Most of them are very easy I think

#47 - the start to probably the biggest horror game franchise
#46 - One of the central characters introduced here share’s the name of Mike Wazowski’s buddy
#45 - Red blobs slowly fight you in virtual reality
#43 - the box art prominently displays a deemed mostly useless motion based peripheral
#41 - A game where you forcibly deprive an innocent animal of his position in power he had previously held for over 10 years

47 Resident Evil, 46 Uncharted, 45 Superhot VR?, 41 makes me think of animal crossing New leaf when you become mayor from tortimer, but I don't think it's this because "forcibly" xD Last edited by Zippy6 - on 14 November 2021

Zippy6 said:
TheWalrusCaesar said:

#46 - One of the central characters introduced here share’s the name of Mike Wazowski’s buddy
#43 - the box art prominently displays a deemed mostly useless motion based peripheral
#41 - A game where you forcibly deprive an innocent animal of his position in power he had previously held for over 10 years

47 - Resident Evil 46 - Uncharted 45 - Superhot VR? 41 - makes me think of animal crossing New leaf when you become mayor from tortimer, but I don't think it's this because "forcibly" xD

All of these are correct! New Leaf I wrote that part as a joke to try and fool people lmao

TheWalrusCaesar said:

43: Mario Kart Wii

42: Final Fight

Too late for 47 and 46.

mZuzek said:

Okay, I know it hasn't been too long but I'm kinda surprised no one's getting this one yet. It's so far the only game in my list that has been in my list before, which... is actually pretty crazy now that I think about it. It's definitely gonna get more iterative from here on out.

#47 - If "capturing" Pokémon is a bit messed up when you think about it, this game took "capturing" to a whole new level of messed up.
Hint 2 - The recent announcement of a new voice actor for this game's protagonist was quite... notorious.
Hint 3 - This is a collectathon where you spend the whole game picking up items named after the game's final level.

Super Mario Odyssey, knew it already without hint 3.