By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Thoughts on Redfall after leaks? With Screenshots

The CGI reveal trailer for Redfall did not leave a good initial first impression, at least for me, as it was coming off as a linear Left 4 Dead style co-op shooter, but with hero shooter gameplay and vampires instead of zombies. Which was very confusing considering the type of immersive sim games Arkane is known for. But honestly after the leaks, even though they're from a pre-alpha build of the game and were never supposed to see the light of day, has made me do a complete 180 in optimism for the game. 

It seems like it's going to be more Borderlands-esque type looter shooter mixed with LoZ Breath of the Wild. The fact that it can be played in 1st and 3rd person, huge open world with fast travel, can still be played solo, and knowing the kind of immersiveness Arkane makes, means there's sooooooo much potential for this game to be amazing. Plus Harvey Smith being the Director of Redfall! The dude co-directed the first Dishonored and solo directed Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider. He was also Lead Designer on the original Deus Ex. Also, I'm sure he played a heavy hand in why Prey was a near perfect immersive sim. Arkane Austin is basically the modern day Ion Storm (also located in Austin) in terms of design philosophy. Anything Harvey Smith touches turns to gold. So, combination of Harvey Smith and these leaks, makes me have high hopes for Redfall. 

I guess the biggest concern would be if it's going to be a live-service game, because Arkane definitely doesn't do those lol. And before anyone blames Microsoft for the type of game Redfall is, it's been in development since 2017 I believe, long before Microsoft came into the picture. Plus it's being developed with Unreal Engine, so their shouldn't be the PC issues we're currently experiencing with Deathloop :)

Anyone else excited for Redfall after the leaks or were you already excited?

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 16 September 2021

Around the Network

None of the games you said he worked on interested me before. So now im more put off on this game. Probably wont be my thing.

Although it can be played in third person. Got to admit I played none of those games maily cuz I detest the first person perspective.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

None of the games you said he worked on interested me before. So now im more put off on this game. Probably wont be my thing.

Although it can be played in third person. Got to admit I played none of those games maily cuz I detest the first person perspective.

Fair enough, but not experiencing them is doing you a great disservice tbh. It can be jarring playing in a first person perspective for sure, but Arkane games are much more slower paced, and literally as opposite of CoD or Battlefield. The games they make are mainly referred to as "immersive sims" rather than being tied the Action-Adventure, FPS, or RPG genre because they're really a combination of all 3. They have their own niche. 

Bioshock and System Shock are the closest other comparisons I can think of, which I know you may not have played those either since they're first person, but these types of games are not like anything else you'll find on the market. 

gtotheunit91 said:
eva01beserk said:

Fair enough, but not experiencing them is doing you a great disservice tbh. It can be jarring playing in a first person perspective for sure, but Arkane games are much more slower paced, and literally as opposite of CoD or Battlefield. The games they make are mainly referred to as "immersive sims" rather than being tied the Action-Adventure, FPS, or RPG genre because they're really a combination of all 3. They have their own niche. 

Bioshock and System Shock are the closest other comparisons I can think of, which I know you may not have played those either since they're first person, but these types of games are not like anything else you'll find on the market. 

I love bioshock. I tried disgonored 2 because I heard it was like it. I dint get to far before I gave up. But it wasent the gameplay that attacted me to bioshock, it was the amazing story. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

My Thoughts in 1 word...
Borderlands.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I love bioshock. I tried disgonored 2 because I heard it was like it. I dint get to far before I gave up. But it wasent the gameplay that attacted me to bioshock, it was the amazing story. 

Perhaps Dishonored wouldn't be the best Arkane game to try out if you're a big fan of Bioshock. Prey would be the best Arkane game I recommend giving a shot if you love Bioshock! Here's even an article of seeing which of the 2 is a better immersive sim: Prey Vs. Bioshock: Which Is The Better Immersive Sim? (thegamer.com)

Too early to be making any sort of impressions.

My biggest disappointment from the Microsoft E3 2021 showcase was ending the show with Redfall. No where in the trailer did it show this game would be a looter shooter.
The entire trailer gave the vibe of 4 player coop left 4 dead with Vampires. These latest leaks have me very excited because this might actually turn out to be more and more a game that would appeal to my taste. I put 100 hours into every iteration of Borderlands, so Redfall being compare to borderland is music to my ear.

shikamaru317 said:

When the game first leaked pre-E3, it was basically described as Dishonored + Vampyr, which sounded awesome. Was disappointed upon seeing the reveal trailer, a co-op game with some cringey gen z aimed dialogue where you don't even play as the vampires. However, seeing the leak has me somewhat more excited for it, as I like at least some looter shooters, particularly Borderlands. I am however concerned that there doesn't seem to be an option for solo players to play with AI companions, like there is in Left4Dead/Back4Blood, I like to play solo and feel like I'm going to be missing out on all this game has to offer as a solo player, the devs even hinted that you might need some of the character exclusive abilities to access certain parts of the map, like Layla's telekinetic elevator ability.

Graphically the leaked screenshots are extremely disappointing, the game is Xbox Series/PC only and yet the screenshots show a game that looks straight out of 2014 7th-8th gen cross-gen territory. However, we don't know exactly how old the build that the leaker tested was, the build could be many months old for all we know, and the game doesn't release for 9-12 more months, so they have ample time to polish before then, so hopefully by the time the Summer 2022 release rolls around it will look properly next-gen.

I didn't hear about not having the ability to play with AI companions as I figured you could have the ability to choose to either play completely solo or have AI companions. That is definitely a setback if it does turn out to be true.

Graphically though, I'm not worried about that as I've read one of the last stages of game development is a graphical overhaul as all the games mechanics and systems have to be thoroughly tested and ensured to be working properly before adding graphics. In pre-alpha, devs only use "placeholder assets" and upgrade them at each stage with a major graphical overhaul and additional assets before beta, some tweaks after beta, and a installation of final assets just before launch. Someone on twitter even posted what Horizon Zero Dawn, Rainbow 6 Siege, Destiny 2, and God of War (2018) looked like in the same pre-alpha state as Redfall. So these screenshots definitely were never meant to be seen by the public. There's even been game developers coming out on Twitter saying that their games look like crap for a long time before they launch lol.

The leaks definitely made me change my mind about the game (from zero interest to at least some interest). If it ends up being in the vein of Borderlands then I can definitely say I'm interested. If it's like L4D then no interest, so basically wait and see until we get some actual gameplay.