By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Internet bullying is scary.

A reasonable way to deal with internet bullies is to have sex with their mothers, and then bring it up every time you play multiplayer games.

Around the Network

I tell them their mother is a hamster and their father smells of elderberries. Works every time 60% of the time.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I deal with them by either ignoring them or blocking them. That's the good thing about internet bullying verses real-world bullying. You can always choose to click on something else, or just block the person. Failing that, you can always delete your social media account and find something else to do.

CaptainExplosion said:
JackHandy said:

I deal with them by either ignoring them or blocking them. That's the good thing about internet bullying verses real-world bullying. You can always choose to click on something else, or just block the person. Failing that, you can always delete your social media account and find something else to do.

I disagree with that last sentence. You shouldn't have to close your social media accounts just because of douchebags.

No, you most certainly shouldn't. But the option is there as a last resort. And knowing that can be a great relief to people who feel trapped in it.

It happened to me on Twitter one time. That social network is a mess, the environment is so toxic that people can try to "cancel" you for clout, twisting whatever you say in the most ridiculous ways. Case in point, I said that I thought that one turist spot in my city was overrated and somehow that turned into me trying to destroy the city's culture, according to some random people. I'm not even kidding. You just need a couple pseudo-influencers to insult you and then you have dozens and dozens of strangers insulting you basically just for fun. Its quite overwhelming.

Around the Network
JCGamer55 said:

It happened to me on Twitter one time. That social network is a mess, the environment is so toxic that people can try to "cancel" you for clout, twisting whatever you say in the most ridiculous ways. Case in point, I said that I thought that one turist spot in my city was overrated and somehow that turned into me trying to destroy the city's culture, according to some random people. I'm not even kidding. You just need a couple pseudo-influencers to insult you and then you have dozens and dozens of strangers insulting you basically just for fun. Its quite overwhelming.

I think social media has made it clear that human beings aren't designed to socialize virtually. There's something about the anonymity that causes people to become ugly, or to indulge in their worst instincts. It's really obvious, and I'm surprised mental health experts haven't started a campaign to raise awareness.

JackHandy said:
JCGamer55 said:

I think social media has made it clear that human beings aren't designed to socialize virtually. There's something about the anonymity that causes people to become ugly, or to indulge in their worst instincts. It's really obvious, and I'm surprised mental health experts haven't started a campaign to raise awareness.

My thoughts exactly. What is worse is that people are not even doing this in anonymity anymore.

Idk if I'd say it was bullying but on instagram I defended Megan Thee Stallion against Tory Lanez and these incels all went to my IG to leave hate lol It was pretty amusing. I can't take online threats or hate seriously, like these people only comfortable behind a keyboard and hate will come just being outspoken on a public platform. It just comes with the territory

JCGamer55 said:

Social Media has such a tattle tale culture it's insane. They're always trying to make up reasons to tell on you to their followers and potential followers.

While I'd call what you're describing as "Cancel Culture" - a more modern label for ostracism and the culture behind it - I'm not particularly a fan of the term. So many have a different meaning for it. Some people think it means when you're a public figure and say something inflammatory and get the expected blowback for it. Others think it means getting banned from a social media platform for posting pro-Nazi propaganda. It's become just another buzz word devoid of meaning without explaining the context, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the label.

Technically, "Cancel Culture" isn't a new phenomenon, it's happened in every culture with a public square. In ancient Athens, where we get our term "ostracism" they would hold elections to ostracize people, and they'd be banished from Athens for 10 years. This was more of an anti-cult of personality implement to fight demagoguery during the democratic period. Part of it was specifically because of Peisistratos, an extremely popular war hero and demagogue who made himself the Tyrant of Athens... three times... One time he brought a very tall woman from the countryside and pretended she was Athena, and had her speaker declare him Tyrant... The people largely didn't believe it, but because it was such an outragerous thing, they overthrew the government and made him Tyrant. Another time, he faked being bullied and beaten by his political opponents, and was permitted to have a bodyguard in the city... although, he took many many bodyguards, enough that they stormed and seized the Acropolis and installed Peisistratos as Tyrant of Athens. So yeah, after his sons were overthrown by Cleisthenes, they brought in ostracism. Many people got ostracized... ironic, many of them relatives of Cleisthenes, the founder of the Athenian democracy, his nephew MEGACLES! got ostracized twice... twenty years of exile from Athens.

So, in other words, many claim Cancel Culture is a very undemocratic thing... the Athenian Greeks felt it was a defense of the democratic system against people who got too big for the culture.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Scary how? You can just switch off your computer or simply close the window lol that's ridiculous, there's no think as internet bullying, its all in peoples heads.