By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

theRepublic said:

Seems pretty clear to me the leakers had information on two separate products. There is no doubt Nintendo was working on both this new Switch model and a Switch successor. Seems like they made an assumption and combined all their information into one product, and that is where they got it wrong. All that other stuff is likely the start of work on Switch 2 or whatever they are going to call it.

Yeah that seems pretty clear. They got info about the OLED Switch which is just an XL model coming this year but then they also heard about Switch 2 4k DLSS project but without any context as to what it was. Switch 2 is probably 3 years away at this point so maybe in the early prototype stage.

Around the Network

A solid way to upsell new customers to a better Switch for slightly more money. Don't see many current owners upgrading but I'd imagine Nintendo's plan is just to allow this to eventually replace OG model and have it fall to $300 and that way they can have a $300 price point very late into the Switch lifecycle, like through 2023. Then like holiday 2024 we get that rumored 4k DLSS project as the Switch 2 so that Nintendo can have the new system launch while Switch is still selling well and never have any low sales years.

Nintendo: Sets no Expectations
"Insiders": Starts spreading nonsense
Gamers: Gets Hyped based on nonsense
Nintendo: Releases a switch revision with minor upgrades and QoL changes like they do every generation of portables such as the XL versions
Gamers: Angry Screeching noises
Nintendo:

Personally, I would have loved the super powerful switch but some people around the internet are taking this to yikes level

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

For now, I was wrong, believing in leakers.

Rookie mistake.

If launch, in 2022, a Switch with DLSS, more Ram, new processor, and better battery, I will buy this new Switch. 

(i don't believe in 4k or docked upgrade)

Let's see

Captain_Yuri said:

Nintendo: Releases a switch revision with minor upgrades and QoL changes like they do every generation of portables such as the XL versions
Nintendo:

Personally, I would have loved the super powerful switch but some people around the internet are taking this to yikes level

but the  color is beautiful

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Nintendo:

A couple edits and you can copy&paste this for every Nintendo Direct too.

Slownenberg said:

A solid way to upsell new customers to a better Switch for slightly more money. Don't see many current owners upgrading but I'd imagine Nintendo's plan is just to allow this to eventually replace OG model and have it fall to $300 and that way they can have a $300 price point very late into the Switch lifecycle, like through 2023. Then like holiday 2024 we get that rumored 4k DLSS project as the Switch 2 so that Nintendo can have the new system launch while Switch is still selling well and never have any low sales years.

I agree on the whole but I don't think we're gonna see Switch 2 until the earliest March 2025. Didn't someone from Nintendo say earlier this year that Switch was at it's halfway point. If that's the case, even a slight hardware upgrade of Switch is still on the table considering Nintendo's past, which could extend the lifespan a bit if the sales are good enough. 

tsogud said:
Slownenberg said:

I agree on the whole but I don't think we're gonna see Switch 2 until the earliest March 2025. Didn't someone from Nintendo say earlier this year that Switch was at it's halfway point. If that's the case, even a slight hardware upgrade of Switch is still on the table considering Nintendo's past, which could extend the lifespan a bit if the sales are good enough. 

the worst-case scenario maybe 2024

shikamaru317 said:

What a colossal letdown. We needed a proper Switch Pro with better specs, instead we get this giant nothing burger. And the cherry on top of the crap cake? They are charging $350 for it when it should be replacing the current model at $300.

Looking at the sales charts they don't "need" a Switch Pro with better specs at all, the market is clearly happy to buy the Switch as it is.

And when they can't even keep up with demand for the base model at $300, what company on Earth would sell a model with more expensive parts for the same price?

mZuzek said:

Personally I like this better than a Switch Pro. It's got next to nothing in terms of selling points for those who already own a Switch, which means I won't ever feel obligated to buying one. If we had a proper mid-gen upgrade, it'd likely result in games being poorly optimized for the base console and eventually running like shit. To be fair, they kinda already run like shit, but it'd be worse.

Not everyone has the money to go spending around in fancy new consoles all the time. I don't want my current Switch to be made obsolete by an enhanced version because I don't have $400 lying around and even if I had, I'd rather spend it elsewhere. Never liked the idea of mid-gen upgrades to begin with, really.

Just hope Nintendo's next-gen console is a proper, no gimmicks Switch 2, and that it is a significant improvement not only in specs, but also OS, online, features in general, and product quality. And with enhanced backwards compatibility of course.

I personally feel that a mid gen upgrade would have been pointless because no one has ever been able to quantify what hardware it could use that would make it feel worth buying other the original console.  If anything it would have created a pain in the arse for those who have the original model as some games woudl not run on it well only for what maybe a 30% gain in performance on a mid gen upgrade? People keep spitting out DLSS 4K, cool but what hardware is available atm in small factor form that would achieve a true next gen 4K experience? It would be gimped at best upscaled to 4K.

I am glad they didn't do it because it now means whatever NVIDIA is developing in terms of CPU/GPU for Switch 2 has the potential to be a significant increase as new technology comes out. There is no reason than in 3 years time when the next console comes out that games cannot look close to PS5 level with DLSS support and better base hardware for 1080p