By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What does Microsoft need to do to make Killer Instinct happen again?

konnichiwa said:
Leynos said:

Hire Iron Galaxy to make one again.

That's the thing double helix started it with the first season and they are bought by Amazon while Iron galaxy (who is so busy with many projects) continued it.   It isn't that Iron galaxy don't want to make it, they clearly do but they can't for atleast some years because of all the other projects. 

What about Playtonic?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Guest Characters i would want in New KI if it does happen Dragonborn, Doom Slayer and Spartan Locke.

Call me old fashioned but I like my games to come out in one piece lol. I didn't like how they released it in stages especially for a franchise I grew up playing. I woudl have rather they delayed it and done a full game. I know in the end they got there but for me personally it wasn't for me.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

dx11332sega said:

We need to know how much did Killer Instinct sold ? I know it won't count much since it's free on Gamepass. but would be nice how many bought physical and digital I last heard it had 15 million in install base if I remember from before.

There's this artical link below before gamepass, which had 10 million players since 2017 but I think I heard 15 million in 2019? link below from 2017 

https://mspoweruser.com/killer-instinct-just-crossed-10-million-players/

Keep in mind it is free to play.

The content packs were given away for free during various games with gold months as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

If it were me, I would pay off as many of the original Rare guys as I could and have them make a direct 2D sequel to the original SNES game using the same graphics.

Cobretti2 said:

Call me old fashioned but I like my games to come out in one piece lol. I didn't like how they released it in stages especially for a franchise I grew up playing. I woudl have rather they delayed it and done a full game. I know in the end they got there but for me personally it wasn't for me.

It's not because you're old fashioned. It's because there is something less about it. When someone says they're going to give you 25% or 50% of anything, you know right away there's 75% or 50% missing... and that's a hard sell. Yes, younger gamers tolerate it more easily, but that's only because they don't know what it means to have their games ship 100% and virtually bug free day-one for fifty or sixty dollars like we do. They grew up with a very different reality, and I suspect that had they grown up in our time, a lot of them would be unhappy as well.

JackHandy said:

If it were me, I would pay off as many of the original Rare guys as I could and have them make a direct 2D sequel to the original SNES game using the same graphics.

Or just make it in 3D.

Killer Instinct was a 2D game, but it used 3D pre-rendered sprites due to hardware limitations. (Minus some Mode 7 sequences that looked impressive in the day.)
It tried to be 3D without actually being 3D, which is simply not needed anymore.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
JackHandy said:

Or just make it in 3D.

Killer Instinct was a 2D game, but it used 3D pre-rendered sprites due to hardware limitations. (Minus some Mode 7 sequences that looked impressive in the day.)
It tried to be 3D without actually being 3D, which is simply not needed anymore.

Very true, but I think, marketing wise, a return to the SNES style would hit a lot of people in the nostalgias if it was done well. That's partly why I suggested doing it. Also, I personally just like 2D fighters more... so there's that haha.