By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is there a way to repair scratched disc (resurface) DIY?

dx11332sega said:

I have Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix for Xbox Original it doesn't wanna load gamewplay I need an at home resurface, any help?

Depends on what you want to pay I purchased a motorised disc repair machine from Ebay  similar to the pic but mine came with lots more spare pads and polish for $50.00 worked great although I have found since Blu-ray discs tend to be a lot more scratch resistant I no longer use it but if you want a cheap repair kit rather than a machine you should find one online easy enough.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 19 June 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

I have this local gameshop that sells used games they're so nice that they polished my games I bring in for free (of course I don't abuse their kindness). They have this really high-tech machine that polishes it and works perfectly. It even does wonders for CDs and DVDs (PS1&PS2 games etc.).

If you have a local used game shop maybe you can ask them to do that for your game? If they don't do for free then maybe ask to pay for a small fee?

I've had reasonably good luck with the game dr. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203022476903?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28 Depends on how deep the scratches are though

V-r0cK said:

I have this local gameshop that sells used games they're so nice that they polished my games I bring in for free (of course I don't abuse their kindness). They have this really high-tech machine that polishes it and works perfectly. It even does wonders for CDs and DVDs (PS1&PS2 games etc.).

If you have a local used game shop maybe you can ask them to do that for your game? If they don't do for free then maybe ask to pay for a small fee?

That a great suggestion even if they charge it's got to be cheaper than a machine like mine that is pretty much the same as the ones game shops use or even a repair kit the OP also has a place to go if he ever needs the service in the future.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 19 June 2021

bruh I just had a flashback of my friend telling me to put toothpaste on the disc and flush it in the toilet I swear I've heard the weirdest remedies as a kid, and somehow they actually worked like 50% of the time. (btw don't try this lmao)

Around the Network

Everyone knows, you use a banana

get a second copy

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Best option. Go to a game shop that has a resurfacing machine. Home solution: Get some Brasso metal polish, put some on a cloth and lightly polish the surface until most surface cuts are gone.

Angelus said:

Everyone knows, you use a banana

WARNING you have left the nsfw thread please return immediately... repeat  return immediately.

I second the professional disk repair services. You can even go beyond local options and find an online service that uses top of the line equipment where you can mail your disks for repair. These services brag that they can handle just about any kind of surface scratch that isn't too deep. The best machines actually physically remove a very thin layer from the top of the protective coating on the disc which is the most effective way to fix the problem.

I have been buying a lot of used PS1 RPG's off of Ebay lately and I have at least two discs that have some minor degree of scratching. I am planning to use one of these services to have the discs resurfaced. I am not sure where you live but this one is in Canada: https://www.esourceparts.ca/scratched-disc#:~:text=Disc%20resurfacing%20is%20a%20professional%20rebuffering%20service%20that,Wii%2C%20X-Box%2C%20X-Box%20360%2C%20GameCube%2C%20Playstation%2C%20and%20CD-ROM.