By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, I managed to nab an Analogue Super NT (quick review).

I want one so bad. It’s always sold out!! 

Last edited by Valdney - on 28 April 2021

Around the Network

You need to jailbreak it. It's super easy and it unlocks basically the Super NT's full potential.

Shadow1980 said:

For years my SNES has been collecting dust due to lack of a suitable CRT solution and how hideous old systems look on old TVs.

I'm glad you like the Analogue Super NT.  It does seem to be great for HD TVs.

I just want to point out original consoles can look really great on a CRT.  In my experience these systems look better on a CRT than they do on an HD TV.  The big thing is you have to get the right wires though.  Back in the day, for PS1 and PS2 era I was using composite video cables and on older systems I was using an RF connection.  These look like crap.  In the past few years I started using S-Video, Component and/or RGB as my connection.  These connections make old school systems look fantastic.  When I use a PVM for my TV, then the visuals look even more amazing.  Also CRT's lack lag, while most HD TV's have lag.

Just wanted to add that for anyone interested in retro gaming.  I don't have a system from Analogue, but they do look really awesome for someone wanting to hook their system up to a HD TV.  However, if someone wants to go to all of the trouble of getting the best experience, CRT's are where it's at.

I have both a Super NT and Mega SG. Might I suggest trying out the hybrid scanlines option with 40,40,30 settings? That's a really good combo of crisp HD and scanlines.

It's really funny how much progress has happened in retro-gaming over the last ten years. Back in 2011 I was playing my SNES/Genesis games on a Retron 3, with a 720p monitor, and stock speakers. There was input lag, the games looked stretched, and composite/RF ruined the picture quality. The emulator built into the Retron 3 butchered the sound too! To make matters worse, I didn't have anywhere to read manuals for a lot of these SNES games. I missed half the moveset of Turtles in Time, due to that. At the time I just assumed that these games had aged badly. I wound up giving mediocre reviews to Gunstar Heroes and Turtles in Time. 

Now, in 2021 I'm frantically trying to buy up all the good Genesis/SNES games I can, because playing them on an Analogue system with HDMI, and a $150 set of speakers, just brings out the best in these games. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Shadow1980 said:

For years my SNES has been collecting dust due to lack of a suitable CRT solution and how hideous old systems look on old TVs.

I'm glad you like the Analogue Super NT.  It does seem to be great for HD TVs.

I just want to point out original consoles can look really great on a CRT.  In my experience these systems look better on a CRT than they do on an HD TV.  The big thing is you have to get the right wires though.  Back in the day, for PS1 and PS2 era I was using composite video cables and on older systems I was using an RF connection.  These look like crap.  In the past few years I started using S-Video, Component and/or RGB as my connection.  These connections make old school systems look fantastic.  When I use a PVM for my TV, then the visuals look even more amazing.  Also CRT's lack lag, while most HD TV's have lag.

Just wanted to add that for anyone interested in retro gaming.  I don't have a system from Analogue, but they do look really awesome for someone wanting to hook their system up to a HD TV.  However, if someone wants to go to all of the trouble of getting the best experience, CRT's are where it's at.

You're absolutely right. S-Video, RGB, or Component on a good PVM or Sony Wega is a little better than running your system on an HDMI hookup. 

This is a really good example of what a CRT does to retro games... 

That being said though, Analogue's products are amazing. Playing with scanlines turned on, and a good sound system is fantastic. Personally, I'm going to grab the Analogue DAC once it comes back into stock so I can hook my Analogue systems up to my Sony Wega CRT. That way I'll have a perfect signal going to my CRT TV. 

Also, I can't wait for the Analogue Pocket to launch! They have a dock for it like the Switch, so I'll enjoy playing GBA games on my Sony Wega too! :D

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 29 April 2021

Around the Network

The Super NT and Mega SG are available right now at the analog store.
https://store.analogue.co/