By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry- Outriders Demo testing

So it sounds like they are targeting frame rate for Ps5 and resolution for the Series X

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

hi hiku

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Never heard of this game but it looks kinda cool

ice said:

Never heard of this game but it looks kinda cool

It’s pretty cool. There’s a free demo available.

Virtually a tie. The final game shouldn't be far off from the demo.

It looks like the Series X consistently has the advantage in resolution/RT while the PS5 consistently has the advantage in framerates. Although with comparisons this close, the Dualsense, load times & maybe even compression techniques (smaller downloads as seen in Control) could all work in favor for the PS5 down the road.

Around the Network

Played through the core of the demo on XSX, and honestly, it doesn't have any of the polish from the various games it draws influence from.

That, and the stuttering actually drove me nuts. But I've always been sensitive to framerate dips because my early days in gaming were mostly PC lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
shikamaru317 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

So it sounds like they are targeting frame rate for Ps5 and resolution for the Series X

Yep. And we've seen a similar situation on several other games already, devs seem to be ok with a higher resolution and lower framerate on Series X, due to VRR support on Xbox I'm guessing, which is kind of an odd choice since not a ton of gamers have VRR capable screens yet. Looking at the numbers here, 1260p-1800p on PS5 at 59-60 fps and 1440p-2080p on Series X at 50-60 fps, it seems to me like Series X and PS5 would be virtually neck and neck on resolution, graphics settings, and framerate if the devs lowered the resolution target on Series X to the same resolution target as PS5. But we'll have to wait and see what the devs do during the final month of optimization ahead of full release, maybe they can get the Series X framerate up closer to 60 fps without the need to reduce resolution, and maybe they can increase PS5 resolution without hurting it's framerate. Will be interesting to see which console comes out on top in a month, or if they will be neck and neck.

If you're talking about average consumers that buy systems without considering or even knowing about features like VRR, they probably won't notice slight dips in framerate to the 50s. If you bought a new tv for Series X and willingly overlooked VRR as not that important, well you're free to curse at a mirror over your sub-optimal experience.

Have no problems with devs attempting to reap the full benefits of the hardware. It's being sold and marketed as a premium product with features like VRR and 120hz, so I'd want devs to actually make use of them. That's just me.

shikamaru317 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yep. And we've seen a similar situation on several other games already, devs seem to be ok with a higher resolution and lower framerate on Series X, due to VRR support on Xbox I'm guessing, which is kind of an odd choice since not a ton of gamers have VRR capable screens yet. Looking at the numbers here, 1260p-1800p on PS5 at 59-60 fps and 1440p-2080p on Series X at 50-60 fps, it seems to me like Series X and PS5 would be virtually neck and neck on resolution, graphics settings, and framerate if the devs lowered the resolution target on Series X to the same resolution target as PS5. But we'll have to wait and see what the devs do during the final month of optimization ahead of full release, maybe they can get the Series X framerate up closer to 60 fps without the need to reduce resolution, and maybe they can increase PS5 resolution without hurting it's framerate. Will be interesting to see which console comes out on top in a month, or if they will be neck and neck.

Maybe. But this also a crosgen game. We already seen crosgen or 8th gen upgrades are no more than the one x or pro versions witha litle extra. Like just having the quality mode with the performance mode combined. So maybe the pro is the reason why the ps5 has that target resolution. Its more likely cuz I highly doubt they are targeting people with such new and expensive tvs. Its like 1% marketshare right now. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
shikamaru317 said:

Maybe. But this also a crosgen game. We already seen crosgen or 8th gen upgrades are no more than the one x or pro versions witha litle extra. Like just having the quality mode with the performance mode combined. So maybe the pro is the reason why the ps5 has that target resolution. Its more likely cuz I highly doubt they are targeting people with such new and expensive tvs. Its like 1% marketshare right now. 

That only applies to games that run in BC and recieve patches for next gen upgrades, but use the same build as the gen 8 consoles.

Actual cross gen games like Hitman 3 and this one have their own versions made specifically for the XSX and PS5, and are not running in BC mode.  With that in mind, the specs of the mid gen refresh systems are irrelevant.

What we are more likely seeing, with both the PS5 and XSX, is simple lack of true optimization.  Right now they are just brute forcing everything to work for the most part, which seems to be giving the Series X a slight RT and resolution advantage while the PS5 gets a frame rate advantage based on the most recent comparisons.  As time goes on and more optimization takes place, we will see improvements across the board for both systems.

Last edited by Shiken - on 06 March 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

That only applies to games that run in BC and recieve patches for next gen upgrades, but use the same build as the gen 8 consoles.

Actual cross gen games like Hitman 3 and this one have their own versions made specifically for the XSX and PS5, and are not running in BC mode.  With that in mind, the specs of the mid gen refresh systems are irrelevant.

What we are more likely seeing, with both the PS5 and XSX, is simple lack of true optimization.  Right now they are just brute forcing everything to work for the most part, which seems to be giving the Series X a slight RT and resolution advantage while the PS5 gets a frame rate advantage based on the most recent comparisons.  As time goes on and more optimization takes place, we will see improvements across the board for both systems.

Maybe they lack optimization because they are focusing on the the 8th gen version wich has the bigest install base.  Untill devs ditch 8th gen I cant see neither of theese consoles actually showing us what they can do. Maybe a first party game can.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.