By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Jeffrey Grubb: Auto HDR is one of next gens coolest features

Tagged games:

SvennoJ said:
Auto HDR yuck. That will put many people off HDR as a real improvement to games. It's bad enough TV manufacturers do it. At least you can turn it off? If a game or movie isn't made for HDR, don't add it after the fact. It just looks wrong.

Is it though? It's not doing too much to the image. It seems to do great work with simpler games. Geometry Wars for example looked awesome. I doubt it can actually make a game look worse to a point where most people would care.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Exciting tech for people looking to enjoy 8th gen games they missed on Xbox.

That's a pretty cool feature and will help some games look great.

HDR > 4K. If my previous 1080p television (which I still own) had HDR, I would not have bought my newer 4K HDR television to replace the 1080p in the Alcove (my media room). But HDR is most effective when implemented from the ground up. It's ultimately about personal preference, but most videophiles will attest that "VIVID" (and anything equivalent) as a picture option is discouraged. I tend to agree in general without getting into specifics. And Auto-HDR in this case similarly applies especially when its original source material was not originally built with HDR in mind. The intent of HDR is to expand the color spectrum visible to the naked human eye, not just to make the image "pop." So Auto-HDR might be fine for newer titles, but it could easily be a hit or miss for older ones. So, yeah. Like what you like, but don't let the hype and half truths get you.

vivster said:
Today I learned Kazooie is a girl.

The eggs gotta come from somewhere

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.