By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Here's my 5 favorite songs in videogaming. Post yours too.

Sometimes i'm in the mood to just do a normie thread. I was talking about music with some friends yesterday so i want to do this now.

Starting from number 1, my favorite ost in gaming is:

Chrono cross is just a weird and special game. It has a lot of weird concepts that dont always work, but there will be never something that will be like it again. The build up and payoff in this song alone made me want to play it. It was, also, the last game i played before adulthood.

2-

Megaman x kinda went off rails over the years, but in this game they tried to give everything an ending and you can feel in the athmosphere. It's not as good as the game that precedes it, but this is probably the best song you could make to be representative of best friends fighting to the death. Even if its not that serious and their reasons to fight are dumb, but that's besides the point.

3-

This is probably the perfect way to start a game, it somehow fits with the nonsensical dreamy athmosphere of the game, and every time i hear it i remember why i like the series. To me it's not about being epic,or saving the world or killing ganon. Is about being invested in a world that feels like its worth looking into, and meeting people that you care about and want to help. And this game does that while being a parody of how it happens in other games. Its such a special game.

4-

Chrono trigger music being here is the most uncontroversial thing ever, so i dont need to justify it. All i'll say is that mitsuda knows how to create moody background music with an orchestra that doesnt feel generic, which is not an easy thing to do.

5-

This one is just what i think when i hear the word castlevania. Even if dracula x is not that good compared to rondo of blood, i actually prefer how this song plays here, because they did some very nice things with the snes synth. Everyone also praises the bassline, but yeah,its super good.

So you can post yours here too, and you can post more than 5, whatever. I'll post more later too maybe.

Around the Network

In no particular order whatsoever. 

Loved them the minute I heard them for the first time. 

1:

I used to like Act 2 more, but the "roughness" of Act 1 is funkier

2:

3:

When I hear it, I always feel like I'm going into a great journey

4: 

(Same as the N64 version, but this one has more depth)

As always with me, I struggle to-do lists. I love so many thousands of songs and OSTs in gaming. However, I do have a single song that is my all-time fave song in gaming.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Sorry but everyone else is wrong - there is only one outstanding song in games.

I love this thread but it takes forever to load, there's just too many embedded videos. Most of them are lit, though. I won't make it worse, however, so I'll just write the names and let everyone look them up themselves.

Note that these are just my favorite tracks at the moment, not of all time, because it is impossible to rank them and it depends on my mood a lot.

Trials of Mana - Splash Hop

This is pure joy. It has a very strong caribbean feel to it and I love the trumpets so much. The perfect song to get into a good mood.

Astral Chain - Task Force Neuron

This is a hub song and I can just loop this forever. Never gets old.

Fire Emblem Fates - Alight (Storm)

This plays when Ryoma helps you as a guest character and he is a fucking beast. I love the energy in this song so much! One commentor on Youtube perfectly nailed it: 'Ryoma murders everything : The Song'

I could choose so many more songs from Fire Emblem, though...

F-Zero - Big Blue

Out of the entire series this is easily my favorite track. So iconic and catchy!

Daemon X Machina -  Arms of Immortal

This pumps me up so much! Just 100% kick ass action.

There are soooooooooo many more, though.

Black Mage Village - FF9 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qthofJjy5wQ

You're Not Alone - FF9 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUrC5R30Ofk

Lave - Super Stardust HD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3SC8DjhUhE

Camille Theme - League of Legends https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GJNJ2fsFno

All Things Must Come - Darkest Dungeon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7JzX4CHJYg (legit haven't even played this game but my god this music).

Honoury mention to 'Cosmic Hero from Nex Machina' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_GEkR1dqR0

Last edited by The Fury - on 06 October 2020

Hmm, pie.

I couldn't do only 5, so I decided to do a top 15, because there was about 12 tracks that instantly came to mind. Also, I won't be ranking them, even though normally I would spend half the day trying to do so. I simply don't have that time. 

I will just say that, normally, the tracks I think about the most are Wish of the Princess, Metroid Prime Title Screen Intro Theme, Lost Kingdom Forgotten Isle 2, Astral Observatory, Final Hours, and Heavy Price Paid - so take that as you will.  

Paper Mario 64 - Wish of the Princess 

This is one of the most strangely emotional tracks in a video game. The moment in which this is played is epic, heartfelt, and somewhat depressing, yet it's the music that helps sum up the scene so well. I don't think Paper Mario 64 did the best job of incorporating the dual narrative idea - but Twink rising up, and Peach basically saving Mario's ass, is surely one of the most memorable parts of the game, in large part because of this track. The (fanmade?) orchestral version is also amazing. Yet another OST where, like Metroid Prime, I could make most of this list Paper Mario 64 tracks, but I'm not really sure how to rank the tracks after this, so I'll just let this represent the game. 

Metroid Prime - Title Screen Intro Theme

If I really wanted to, if I really, really wanted to, I could make a good 1/3rd of this top 15 Metroid Prime music. But, I'll spare you guys today. Admittedly, it's probably not fair to not include more Prime tracks, the other tracks definitely belong here. But this title theme represents the game so well, I think it can stand as it's own on this list to represent the entire game. Sunken Frigate, the 2nd Title Theme (how crazy is it that two of some of the best tracks of all time in gaming are just title theme tracks that most players will probably skip through?), Parasite Queen, Ridley, Phenandra Drifts (obviously)

Okami - Theme of Kaguya 

I don't think much of Okami's soundtrack. It's not bad - if anything, it ranges from decent to pretty good. It probably averages out to around a 6.5. It's just, the way the game uses it's themes, a lot of them end up somewhat immemorable, samey, even at times kind of obnoxious. It's partially why my favorite themes are the ones that are both rarely used, and represent a more quiet sadness. Theme of Kaguya does this very well, making for a lovely track. It's also worth mentioning Cave of Nagi as one of the best tracks I've heard in a game - which goes for a similar tone, but with a more spacey vibe to it. It wouldn't be out of place in a Japanese-themed Galaxy level. Speaking of ... 

Super Mario Odyssey - Bowser's Castle (Kingdom) 

So unexpected and breathtaking - a great surprise in a game that already has one of the more consistent OSTs out there. I love how it doesn't focus on being epic, it's soothing, thought-provoking and mindful of the fact that the player will be hearing this theme for a long period of time (and has probably heard countless "epic" tracks in prior Bowser-themed levels). Yet despite this, it still has one of the coolest climaxes in a game track ever. Truly masterful. 

Super Mario Odyssey - Forgotten Isle 2 (Lost Kingdom)

How can a song be so catchy and melodic and still make you want to cry? It's like a depressing Donkey Kong Country track. I have to ask, is this the best game track ever? It just might be. 

Halo 2 - Heavy Price Paid 

Though I haven't finished a replay yet, listening to a decent chunk of the OSTs, and skimming through some select songs, I think Halo 2 probably has the most consistent Halo OST. It's in that interesting area where, it still does have a few remade tracks from Halo CE, but the fact that it's a sequel - one that is quite a bit different in it's appeal from the original might I add - also forced the need for a lot of new tracks. It's not like 3 where so much of the OST is just remixes, or ODST and Reach where the OSTs are pretty good, but there's a couple tracks which are the clear standouts. 2 is just consistent back to back, and it helps that when it does tap into Halo 1's pool of songs, you end up getting the best remakes to date (Halo Mjolnir Mix theme, and especially Heretic#Hero). 

As for Heavy Price Paid specifically .... it's odd, for most of this year I've consistently looked back on it specifically as one of my favorite game tracks of all time, a top tier choice. But everytime I hear it, I somehow think to myself "Man, I really underrate this track". Like it's brilliance is rediscovered with each listen. 

Halo CE/Halo 3 - On A Pale Horse/Behold A Pale Horse 

I'm not really sure whether to include the Halo CE On A Pale Horse original version, or the Halo 3 Behold A Pale Horse version. I think Halo 3's might have the slight edge, but it also has a lot of other different tracks spliced onto the end of the "On A Pale Horse" section, so it's harder to use as an example. It's more full and the choir adds a lot. That being said, while the "fullness" and three-dimensionality of the track makes it more immersive, I do feel like a little bit of the winter-aesthetic (and yes I would describe it as such because the song does such a good job of conjuring up such images) the original version had is lost when you add in the extra complexities and don't focus specifically. Maybe a little bit of the feelings of loneliness too? Less sure on that front. Either way, whichever version you choose, amazing track. 

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Pursuit 

I've been playing the Ace Attorney games and just by going through the first two, I can tell this series will end up having one of the most consistent soundtracks game-to-game of all time. The first two stunned me, seriously, I cannot believe how good the music is in these games. Every track is instantly mesmerizing the moment you hear the first second of music, even though most of them are only 35-45 second loops. Talk about baiting the audience's attention and reeling them in for more. 

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All - Psyche Lock 

Definitely could make it into the top 7 or so. I love the oriental vibe much of the JFA soundtrack has. It's so different from the first game but so amazing. 

Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun 

Name a more fun, cooler battle. I'll wait. I'm not memeing. So unexpected and brilliant. 

Majora's Mask - Astral Observatory 

I kind of go back and forth about which track is the king of Majora's Mask's OST - this one, or Final Hours. I think this is one I think about more, because the spacey-yet-catchy motif it's going for is so up my alley, almost like a calling card. But Final Hours is just an immediate gut punch whenever you listen to it. It's a tie! .... I think.

Majora's Mask - Final Hours Extend w/ Bells & Earthquake 

It's a fantastic track made even better by the in-game sound effects. 

Megaman 2 - Bubbleman Theme 

I love how strangely melancholic this theme is. It has no reason to be so, yet it is. The first track many people will hear in Megaman 2, is also the game's best track, and it has pretty good contenders to boot! 

Devil May Cry 4 - The Idol of the Time and Space

There's a huge list of tracks from the DMC games that could, should, and do belong here, but aren't. That being said, this might be the best track of the franchise? It incorporates how I feel conceptually about Fortuna so well - you can visualize it clearly. Old ass secluded, relatively peaceful city with a mournful aura underneath. It makes you wish the city levels were a bigger highlight in a game that could really use more highlights in general. 

Dark Souls - Gwyn, Lord of Cinder 

Probably the most memorable final boss theme in games for me, or at least one of the more impactful. I don't know how much I thought of it at the time, aside from it just being very nice and fitting, but thinking back on it now it really is the perfect track. It's like a ballet, with the more rapid movements feeling despairing, intense, and downright violent - despite so much restraint from the composer. 

Also - shoutout to my homie, Serpent Trench. Best standalone FFVI track*

*as of yet 

and Astral Chain probably deserves a mention somewhere, one of the best new original OSTs on a Switch game I've played. 

Good idea for a thread.

5. Bramble Blast- Smash Bros. Brawl

4. Water Theme- Super Mario 64

3. Bubbly Clouds- Kirby's Epic Yarn

2. Reach for the Stars (Orchestra)- Sonic Colors

1. Dr Wily's Castle- Mega Man 2