By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Nvidia Ampere announced, 3090, 3080, 3070 coming later this year

eva01beserk said:
JRPGfan said:

RDNA2 will likely beat the 3070, and come close to the 3080 (likely still be below it).
Theres no way AMD makes a card that can compete with the 3090 though.

Its a 350-400watt monster of a GPU.
AMD refuse to make cards with chips that big, or that go into that wattage.

they dont even need to, thats not where the competition is. 

They where only able to compete with the 70 before, now they will step it up be be able to compete with the 80. Thats more than enough for amd to shake things up in the gpu space like they did in the cpu space with ryzen. 

They didn't shake things up in the CPU space, they opened a volcano and melted Intel.
It's Intels fault for using virtually the same CPU's for over 5 years, having their process get cheaper whilst still charging a lot, not innovating and watching their margins grow whilst selling old tech.

Nvidia on the otherhand is a rare case of a company actually competing with themselves and pushing their technology as far as they can with constant improvements and features outside of how much fps you get. They have such a lead on AMD and they are actively working to widening their lead. The complete opposite of Intel.

It's gonna take AMD more than Big Navi to do what they did to Intel.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Once the performance graphs are fully available we'll see if it makes sense, but it looks like we'll have a 3080ti as there is a huge price difference between $699 and $1499. A $1000 3080Ti seems likely. 

Also a 3070 TI

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74916/lenovo-just-confirmed-nvidias-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-rocks-16gb-of-vram/index.html

Interesting, much more memory but the memory is the slower GDDR6. 

I guess I could see a world where we have a $499 3070, $599 3070 Ti and a $699 3080 

ArchangelMadzz said:
eva01beserk said:

they dont even need to, thats not where the competition is. 

They where only able to compete with the 70 before, now they will step it up be be able to compete with the 80. Thats more than enough for amd to shake things up in the gpu space like they did in the cpu space with ryzen. 

They didn't shake things up in the CPU space, they opened a volcano and melted Intel.
It's Intels fault for using virtually the same CPU's for over 5 years, having their process get cheaper whilst still charging a lot, not innovating and watching their margins grow whilst selling old tech.

Nvidia on the otherhand is a rare case of a company actually competing with themselves and pushing their technology as far as they can with constant improvements and features outside of how much fps you get. They have such a lead on AMD and they are actively working to widening their lead. The complete opposite of Intel.

Do you think nvedia is taking amd more cautious because they saw bloody and charred remains of intel? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
vivster said:

Halo products are important. Ryzen did well because it was crushing Intel in the high end as well as midrange. If Ryzen was only midrange then they wouldn't even have a fraction of the success.

While having the performance of a 3080 is good, it's still a tough sell since it is lacking all the features Nvidia has to offer. Simply being as fast as a 3080 will not be enough for AMD to succeed. Nvidia also has plenty of head room to lower prices and they have shown in the past that they are willing to do so when competing with AMD.

True, but the first ryzen dint beat the intel top end. ryzen plus stil dint beat intel top end. ryzen 2 beat it, while maybe not in gaming, multythread performance is unmatched.and now ryzen 3 is said to bury intel.

I think rdna is going in the same direction. rdna1 competitive in the low end, rdna2 competing in the mid range, then next year rdna 3 competing in the high end. this wont be the same case as intel, cuz intel screwed up massively while amd improved. and still refused to drop prices until now that they are obsolete. Nvedia dint screw up, they still offer great improvements and it seems they are anticipating competition so they priced cordingly, so amd will not be beating them, they will at best be competitive. 

True, having a halo product is really good for pr. But i really think pr is not so prevalent on this market as this market is well educated and does research before a purchase. So if a halo product is out of their reach, they will research what is in their reach.

Thats true, amd is definetly behind in the features department. we still have no clue how their ray tracing is coming along. we dont even know if they are doing a dlss approach. if all these features do suck or dont even have them, then the only thing they could do is lower prices. like the 5700xt. even if it match the 2070s it still dint have the features so they had to cost way less. and even then people preferred the 2070s because those features are worth it. 

A halo product is not just about PR, it's about trust. If I see a company making a great product and then also offering the same product in lower tiers of performance I will trust those lesser products because I have seen how good they can be and that the manufacturer definitely knows what he is doing. When the best thing I can see is some midrange then I will have to wonder what's wrong with it if that's barely the best thing the manufacturer can offer me. I will have less trust because they apparently already struggle to give me lower tier performance.

I can certainly see Big Navi as their Zen 1 for GPUs. It will get people interested but it won't make them suddenly popular other than within their already established fandom. I cannot imagine the pricing for Big Navi to be too far away from a 3080 so no one who isn't already an AMD fan will care to buy it. AMD will only succeed in GPUs when they manage to convince Nvidia buyers and that's gonna be a really tough task and most likely won't happen with Navi.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

eva01beserk said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Do you think nvedia is taking amd more cautious because they saw bloody and charred remains of intel? 

Nah, there's no way they could've gone from, chilled and relaxed a year ago. See Ryzen 3 then do all this RND now.

They're out for blood and have been for a long time. 

Around the Network
vivster said:
eva01beserk said:

True, but the first ryzen dint beat the intel top end. ryzen plus stil dint beat intel top end. ryzen 2 beat it, while maybe not in gaming, multythread performance is unmatched.and now ryzen 3 is said to bury intel.

I think rdna is going in the same direction. rdna1 competitive in the low end, rdna2 competing in the mid range, then next year rdna 3 competing in the high end. this wont be the same case as intel, cuz intel screwed up massively while amd improved. and still refused to drop prices until now that they are obsolete. Nvedia dint screw up, they still offer great improvements and it seems they are anticipating competition so they priced cordingly, so amd will not be beating them, they will at best be competitive. 

True, having a halo product is really good for pr. But i really think pr is not so prevalent on this market as this market is well educated and does research before a purchase. So if a halo product is out of their reach, they will research what is in their reach.

Thats true, amd is definetly behind in the features department. we still have no clue how their ray tracing is coming along. we dont even know if they are doing a dlss approach. if all these features do suck or dont even have them, then the only thing they could do is lower prices. like the 5700xt. even if it match the 2070s it still dint have the features so they had to cost way less. and even then people preferred the 2070s because those features are worth it. 

A halo product is not just about PR, it's about trust. If I see a company making a great product and then also offering the same product in lower tiers of performance I will trust those lesser products because I have seen how good they can be and that the manufacturer definitely knows what he is doing. When the best thing I can see is some midrange then I will have to wonder what's wrong with it if that's barely the best thing the manufacturer can offer me. I will have less trust because they apparently already struggle to give me lower tier performance.

I can certainly see Big Navi as their Zen 1 for GPUs. It will get people interested but it won't make them suddenly popular other than within their already established fandom. I cannot imagine the pricing for Big Navi to be too far away from a 3080 so no one who isn't already an AMD fan will care to buy it. AMD will only succeed in GPUs when they manage to convince Nvidia buyers and that's gonna be a really tough task and most likely won't happen with Navi.

Dont disagree with the halo product, but that is not as aplicable in a marked where you need to be well informed about the competition. Fans buying what fans like is another thing. Cuz even if amd has a better product they wont pull nvidea hardcore fans. Same with intel, some swear on their life of intels superiority. 

i see rdna 1 as their zen 1, big navi will be their zen 1+. still not up their but getting closer. rdna 3 is where all hell is gona break loose. 

Another thing to note is that devs are leaning more towards amd optimizations due to the adoption rate of the consoles and if navi has any increase in market share along with the continue success of the playstation. That might be something that makes them even more competitive. I mean amd just took the better processing node from them with TSMC. I really believe we are gona see a real fight on our hands. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

shikamaru317 said:
Kyuu said:
Consoles going AMD for graphics is feeling more and more like a big mistake, backwards compatibility be damned. Between DLSS/Tensor Core magic, brute force, and value... lowend/affordable Nvidia GPUs are looking to crush consoles' in no time. This is especially bad for Xbox.

AMD has their own version of DLSS in the works, as does Microsoft. Both of their versions brute force the machine learning workloads through 16, 8, and 4 bit integer operations, which use far less GPU resources than the 32 bit workloads a GPU typically uses. So in other words, instead of relying on dedicated tensor cores to run the machine learning operations, the standard GPU cores will run them while using a few GPU resources as possible.

Main hurdle right now is software and engine support, in particular if both versions of the upscalers require different work to be done. DLSS for example requires motion vectors and material properties to predict optimal uipscaling.

numberwang said:
shikamaru317 said:

AMD has their own version of DLSS in the works, as does Microsoft. Both of their versions brute force the machine learning workloads through 16, 8, and 4 bit integer operations, which use far less GPU resources than the 32 bit workloads a GPU typically uses. So in other words, instead of relying on dedicated tensor cores to run the machine learning operations, the standard GPU cores will run them while using a few GPU resources as possible.

Main hurdle right now is software and engine support, in particular if both versions of the upscalers require different work to be done. DLSS for example requires motion vectors and material properties to predict optimal uipscaling.

You dont think amd will gain the uper hand there with the mass adoption of the consoles? I see it as a given. 

zero129 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Thus the cycle begins

Im going to stick with the 3070, but the 3080 does look sexy for that extra 200 but im going to stand my ground as i believe the 3070 will give me a massive jump over my 1060 as it is. And to be honest ive not really had much problems with current games playing on my 1060@1080P-1440P with a mix between max and medium settings. So i think the 3070 with dlss will do me for a good 3 years anyways and should be a massive jump over my 1060.

Noice. That's probably gonna be the top seller, maybe only second to the 3060.

And yea, DLSS is gonna make these cards age like fine wine as it feels like every new game that has Ray Tracing also seems to come with DLSS bundled in.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

zero129 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Interesting, much more memory but the memory is the slower GDDR6. 

I guess I could see a world where we have a $499 3070, $599 3070 Ti and a $699 3080 

I know but now while reading the rest of this thread i've just noticed another wedge in my upgrade plan.. the 3070 Ti. That extra memory alone for the extra 100 (If that is the price) sure seems enticing .

It would be a dick move to release a Ti shortly after the 3070 and could make consumers turn sour real quick. We'll see if it's true and if it launches at the same time.