By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - System Defining Games

Leynos said:

In my experience in SEGA communities plural the last 20 years on forums they always bring up PD when thinking Saturn. NiGHTS is typiclly the AND game.

Not only anecdotal but in my my experience in 20 plus years as well forums aren't really indicators of the majority far from it people on forums are a vast minority.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Leynos said:

In my experience in SEGA communities plural the last 20 years on forums they always bring up PD when thinking Saturn. NiGHTS is typiclly the AND game.

Not only anecdotal but in my my experience in 20 plus years as well forums aren't really indicators of the majority far from it people on forums are a vast minority.

More than you offered.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Wyrdness said:

More than you offered.

I don't need to offer anything the game is a cult hit that lead to it getting a PS2 remake and eventual sequel, the fact that you're ruffled that Nights is highlighted as a defining game speaks more volumes about yourself in this instance as it's a non issue what people choose as a defining game no one here has to agree on anything.

Wyrdness said:
Leynos said:

More than you offered.

I don't need to offer anything the game is a cult hit that lead to it getting a PS2 remake and eventual sequel, the fact that you're ruffled that Nights is highlighted as a defining game speaks more volumes about yourself in this instance as it's a non issue what people choose as a defining game no one here has to agree on anything.

You argued it first. More sequels equal more success. PD is the one.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Wyrdness said:

You argued it first. More sequels equal more success. PD is the one.

No people were unsure on the Saturn as not as many people own it hence why one user assumed a Sonic game so I highlighted Nights which is fair game to choose as it's the platform's flagship you can disagree if you want but your arguments are null and void at best because they have no bearing on whether a game is defining for a platform.

Around the Network

NES- Super Mario Bros.
Genesis- Sonic The Hedgehog
Turbo gfx16- Bonk's Adventure
GB- Tetris
GBC- Pokemon Gold/Silver 
SNES- Zelda a Link to the Past
PS1- FFVII
N64- Zelda OoT
Xbox- Halo
Gamecube- Smash Melee
PS2- GTA 3
GBA- Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
PS3- Last of Us
X360- Halo 3
DS- Nintendogs
Wii- Wii Sports (even tho it's basically a demo)
3DS- Pokemon Sun/Moon
Wii U- Splatoon
Xbox One- ....
PS4- God of War
Switch- Zelda Breath of the Wild

S.Peelman said:

Going by the ‘one game that is synonymous with the console’;

Atari 2600: Space Invaders
Atari Jaguar: Alien vs. Predator

SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog
SEGA Dreamcast: SoulCalibur

Nintendo NES: Super Mario Bros.
Nintendo SNES: Super Mario World
Nintendo 64: Super Mario 64
Nintendo GameCube: Super Smash Bros. Melee
Nintendo Wii: Wii Sports
Nintendo WiiU: Nintendoland
Nintendo Switch: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Nintendo GameBoy: Tetris
Nintendo Virtual Boy: Warioland
Nintendo DS: New Super Mario Bros.
Nintendo 3DS: Super Mario 3D World

Sony PlayStation: Final Fantasy VII
Sony PlayStation 2: Grand Theft Auto 3
Sony PlayStation 3: Uncharted 2
Sony PlayStation 4: Grand Theft Auto 5

XBox: Halo Combat Evolved
XBox 360: Kinect Adventures

Missing, beside non big-5 systems, are the Atari 5200 and 7800 as well as Lynx, SEGA Master System, Saturn and Game Gear, Nintendo GameBoy Advance, Sony PSP and Vita and XBox One. I feel like none of these has a real ‘defining’ game, or at least I can’t think of one. Which speaks to their mediocrity of a lineup. Consequently most of those failed as big sellers. I read that Saturn has a defining game in at least Panzer Dragoon, so I guess I’ll accept that, but I don’t know. Some of the others, WiiU, PS4 and XBox360 have a defining game, though they are disappointing in this role for multiple reasons. A lot of the games are launch (-window) titles, I guess that makes sense.

wait, PS4's defining game is GTA 5 but Xbox One has no defining game?? Not to mention it's a port from PS3/X360... 

PortisheadBiscuit said:

wait, PS4's defining game is GTA 5 but Xbox One has no defining game?? Not to mention it's a port from PS3/X360... 

Which is the big reason why it's disappointing in the role.

NES - Mario Bros 3
SNES - Super Mario World
Genesis - NBA Jam
3DO - The Horde
PSone - Metal Gear Solid
N64 - Perfect Dark
PS2 - SOCOM II
Dreamcast - Unreal Tournament
GCN - Luigi's Mansion
Xbox - Halo CE
Xbox 360 - CoD MW
PS3 - Skyrim