By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will ACNH outsell all PS4 exclusives released this year combined?

Tagged games:

Will ACNH outsell all PS4 exclusives released this year combined?

Yes 23 63.89%

No 13 36.11%

Total:36
Pinkie_pie said:
Or you could easily say will animal crossing outsell all other switch's exclusives this year which I think it easily will

I'm voting for this as well,

animal crossing will outsell all other switch exclusives that launch this year, by the end of the year

PS4 its impossible

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Just curious, but which other exclusives does Nintendo have this year?

Paper Mario Origami King, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade HD, Bravely Default II... I think that's all that's confirmed for this year so far.

Intrinsic said:
Just curious, but which other exclusives does Nintendo have this year?

Paper Mario, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Xenoblade Chronicles: DE, etc.

But I think this is by design. They new that ACNH would be a big hit (but not this big) and likely have titles ready to go but no reason to push them out right now.

Nintendo with the Switch:

So lifetime sales or just this year? If lifetime then there's no way animal crossing outsell them. If this year then yes I think animal crossing will. My guess for this year sales nioh 2 and persona 5 royal combined for 3 million. Ff7 remake 6-7 million. Tlou2 10 million. GoT 6-7 million so that's around 25 million

GProgrammer said:
Pinkie_pie said:
Or you could easily say will animal crossing outsell all other switch's exclusives this year which I think it easily will

I'm voting for this as well,

animal crossing will outsell all other switch exclusives that launch this year, by the end of the year

PS4 its impossible

Is it though? ACNH is going to sell most likely 30+ million units by the end of the year.

TLOU2 will be lucky to hit 10 million

FF7 will probably finish in the 7-8 million range (but do we count this? It is timed)

GoT will probably top out around 10 million

The other titles probably won't sell very much.

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
So lifetime sales or just this year? If lifetime then there's no way animal crossing outsell them. If this year then yes I think animal crossing will. My guess for this year sales nioh 2 and persona 5 royal combined for 3 million. Ff7 remake 6-7 million. Tlou2 10 million. GoT 6-7 million so that's around 25 million

Just titles released this year, I will update the question to better reflect this.

scottslater said:
Pinkie_pie said:

And it seems very intentional, and if I was running Nintendo, that's what I would be doing.  No reason to release potential hardware sellers when you already have one on the market doing that for you at an alarming rate.  It's the smartest thing they could be doing right now, have ACNH sell hardware for you and then people pickup the evergreen titles (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Pokemon, etc) which keeps their sales high.

Not really. Different games appeal to different segments of the market. As popular as New Horizons is, it's not going to appeal to the entire market. MK8, Odyssey, and Zelda all released in the same year. Pokemon Let's Go, Smash, and Super Mario Party did as well. Pokemon Sword, Luigi's Mansion, and Ring Fit did too. This has never really been Nintendo's strategy before, and it seems way more likely that it's a result of this year's unique circumstances than a conscious decision. Or maybe they've been keeping some big games really well hidden.

So it's lifetime sales of the exclusives released this year. Here goes my prediction. Nioh 2 and persona 5 royal will hit 2 million each. Ff7 remake 7 million. Tlou2 15 million and GoT 8 million so thats 36 million combined

scottslater said:

Just wondering if others think that Animal Crossing: New Horizons will outsell all PS4 exclusives this year combined.

I haven't done any research yet but my gut says it will.

This is what I have been able to find of PS4 exclusives so far, please post any others.

NIOH 2

Persona 5 Royal

FF7 Remake (timed, up for debate if included) - 5 million units

The Last of Us Part II

Ghost of Tsushima

Marvel's Iron Man VR

Sony 1st party games only (not includeing 3rd party exclusives) sold-through 18,5m games to consumers, in its Q1 2020 (April-june).

18,5m games (from April-June).

Lets assume is it do something akin to this for the next 2-3 quarters.
And then factor in the 3rd party exclusives ontop of that..

The answear is NO, Animal crossing, will not outsell all PS4 exclusives combinded this year.

Animal Crossing has shipped ~22m copies right?
So its more than Q1 for Sony 1st party atleast.
However if you factor in 3rd party exclusives im like 99.9% sure, animal crossing is well below that number.

Source: 
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-q1-fy2020-april-june-results-ps4-1-9m-ltd-112-3m-best-quarter-ever-for-playstation-strong-fy20-fct-23-4b-revenue-2-24b-profit.261453/

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 09 August 2020

JRPGfan said:
scottslater said:

Just wondering if others think that Animal Crossing: New Horizons will outsell all PS4 exclusives this year combined.

I haven't done any research yet but my gut says it will.

This is what I have been able to find of PS4 exclusives so far, please post any others.

NIOH 2

Persona 5 Royal

FF7 Remake (timed, up for debate if included) - 5 million units

The Last of Us Part II

Ghost of Tsushima

Marvel's Iron Man VR

Sony 1st party games only (not includeing 3rd party exclusives) sold-through 18,5m games to consumers, in its Q1 2020 (April-june).

18,5m games.

Lets assume is it do something akin to this for the next 2-3 quarters.
And then factor in the 3rd party exclusives ontop of that..

The answear is NO, Animal crossing, will not outsell all PS4 exclusives combinded this year.

Source: 
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-q1-fy2020-april-june-results-ps4-1-9m-ltd-112-3m-best-quarter-ever-for-playstation-strong-fy20-fct-23-4b-revenue-2-24b-profit.261453/

There is no way that Sony titles will catch up if that is the results of their combined titles.  TLOU2, FF7, etc have no legs.  GoT is the last beacon of hope and the sunsetting of the console, Sony has nothing else lined up for the PS4 as far as I can tell.

ACNH already has a 4 million lead and will be in demand for the holidays, it will most likely sell 30+ million by the end of 2020.