By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Apple: Gaming Services (Google Stadia & Microsoft xCloud) Violate App Store Guidelines

Google, no thanks.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
I'm with Apple on this.

MS has to follow the rules like everybody else. If there's a game on Game Pass that Apple doesn't approve of or doesn't meet their standards then how can they stop it from being played on their platform without reviewing it first?

MS has enough $$$ to pay to submit each game for review. MS should just stop complaining and pay up.

Do you really want to say that the standard for approval on iOS is higher than on Gamepass?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

padib said:
JWeinCom said:

Really depends. Does apple have a similar competing service? Apple Arcade is sort of a competitor but not really. To what extend do these services need to be playable on IOS to succeed? I don't think it's vital. And would the task of submitting games individually for Apple's review pose a huge barrier?

In a nutshell, anti-trust laws kick in when one player has so much power that others have to agree to whatever demands they make. I really don't think that's quite the case here. 

Good questions. Yes, Apple Arcade is a direct competitor for games as a service. While the technology under the delivery is different (games are downloaded and then played), it offers a direct competing service to xCloud and Stadia since they are all based on a subscription model, and if the library and priced matched, they would be nearly identical services, bar the delivery (one streamed, the other fully downloaded digitally).

It's not clear whether these services need to be playable on iOS to succeed, but Apple has 30% of the global marketshare, and in the united states it has 56%. The others could possibly succeed without being playable on iOS, but it cuts potentially 50% of their audience, which at the amount it costs to offer cloud gaming, could make it an unprofitable proposition, esp. in the US where all 3 companies are headquartered.

The task of submitting games for Apple's review doesn't pose a barrier, but could result in abuse of power by Apple (which is the case with OP), and allows Apple again too much power in dictating what is playable on these streaming platforms, something it never required from other non-gaming streaming services.

It begs the question, is this preferential treatment due to Apple trying to block competitors on its OS? It all points to yes.

Based on my knowledge of anti-trust laws (I still haven't taken a class, but have read a bunch of cases involving anti-trust claims in Civil Procedure) that probably wouldn't cut it. I think the rationale that they screen all games through the review process would probably hold up in court. If they could show that Apple is reviewing games on XCloud unfairly, then maybe there's a case.

DonFerrari said:
Pyro as Bill said:
I'm with Apple on this.

MS has to follow the rules like everybody else. If there's a game on Game Pass that Apple doesn't approve of or doesn't meet their standards then how can they stop it from being played on their platform without reviewing it first?

MS has enough $$$ to pay to submit each game for review. MS should just stop complaining and pay up.

Do you really want to say that the standard for approval on iOS is higher than on Gamepass?

I meant Apple might not approve of the content. Maybe it's offensive.

In terms of standards, Apple might not want laggy, streamed games to become thought of as typical of how all games play on their platform.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
DonFerrari said:

I meant Apple might not approve of the content. Maybe it's offensive.

In terms of standards, Apple might not want laggy, streamed games to become thought of as typical of how all games play on their platform.

They allow very bad games on their service. While XCloud games go through formal revision, have professional reviewers scoring them, have boards giving ranting, etc. No way in hell I could agree Apple store is more strict on quality than XCloud.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
padib said:

Could definitely be interesting.

However, in this case Microsoft and Google are direct competitors to Apple for streaming game services. The others not so much. Since the apps being blocked are purely streaming service, on that aspect alone it could be anti-trust and a means to block competition. We know what happened to Microsoft when they played foul with Netscape, I'm surprised that this kind of thing isn't being taken seriously nowadays.

And, if the courts are not taking care of it, at least people should be bothered by it. In the days of Netscape, Microsoft was public enemy #1 for its behavior. Today people seem complacent with this kind of monopolistic practice, I think it's a bad sign.

The difference in this case compared to Microsoft and Netscape situation, is that Microsoft had over 90% of desktop OS marketshare back then. iOS is not in this situation and Android's marketshare is even bigger.

Apple would want 30% of the subscription fee for xcloud service on iOS.

That's the major tie up point here.
And them expecting 30% of a xcloud subscription is ridiculous.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'